The House of the Seven Gables

7gables.org

The House of the Seven Gables Reviews

Stanley Birchfield
1 Rating

Fun place to work lots of interesting history

Former Employee - Tour Guide in Salem, MA
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Salem, MA

I worked at The House of the Seven Gables full-time (less than an year)

Pros

cool people to work with, interesting colonial history, plenty of down time

I worked as a tour at the House of the Seven Gables full time during the month of October. It was pretty fun learning a bit of colonial history and leading tours of this historic house. I would have continued there longer but they only needed seasonal help since October is the busy month in Salem, and right after Halloween they let a lot of staff, including myself, go.

Cons

Minimum wage pay which kinda sucks when you have about an hour commute, hectic at times especially weekends in October. Also as with any job dealing with the public you get annoying visitors. Also many visitors don't seem to know what the place is and get disappointed when they learn it isn't haunted and has nothing to do with the Salem Witch Trials or anything.

Good job more or less

Poor management

Former Employee - Bartender in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at The House of the Seven Gables part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was able to earn enough money to help get me through college by bartending. I met a lot of great people working and I had a lot of fun.

Cons

Management was horrible. They ran the business all wrong. The owner was very selfish and scared off many of the better workers at the bar, which in turn made its popularity steeply decline. I no longer go to this bar because of the way things are still run.

Learn to like your employees more. Stop being so selfish. The world is round.

Got to love historic houses to make it worthwhile

Current Employee - Fundraiser in Salem, MA
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Salem, MA

I have been working at The House of the Seven Gables

Pros

The view of harbor is beautiful. The grounds are beautiful. Salem is a nice place to be – great restaurants.

Cons

Getting to Salem is a drag. It’s a nonprofit so low salaries and no raises, and no money for perks.

Need to give staff reason to work there. More flexible hours, extended vacations, more responsibility and authority to compensate.

Great place to work as a second job and have good interactions with the public, a fun side job.

Current Employee - Tour Guide in Salem, MA
    Current Employee - Tour Guide in Salem, MA

I have been working at The House of the Seven Gables

Pros

Good, fun, friendly, and easygoing coworkers -- there is a lighthearted and friendly atmosphere where staff engage in casual and random discussions. Warm and kind bosses -- very little interference as each employee is expected and is responsible, reliable, and mature. Sharing, educating, and informing the visiting public about the site and Salem is a great aspect of the job especially when you enjoy this type of stuff. Interacting with tourists is always fun.

Cons

Low pay -- minimum wage. Quiet, sometimes very quiet days -- but, that could be a plus at times when you want to catch up on a good read or school work. During the busy Halloween season, doing tours back-to-back can get tiring and repetitive.

Think about new ways to promote and draw traffic to the site. Find ways to compensate staff above min wage.