The House of the Seven Gables

Updated Feb 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stanley Birchfield

Fun place to work lots of interesting history

Tour Guide (Former Employee)
    Salem, MA

Proscool people to work with, interesting colonial history, plenty of down time

I worked as a tour at the House of the Seven Gables full time during the month of October. It was pretty fun learning a bit of colonial history and leading tours of this historic house. I would have continued there longer but they only needed seasonal help since October is the busy month in Salem, and right after Halloween they let a lot of staff, including myself, go.

ConsMinimum wage pay which kinda sucks when you have about an hour commute, hectic at times especially weekends in October. Also as with any job dealing with the public you get annoying visitors. Also many visitors don't seem to know what the place is and get disappointed when they learn it isn't haunted and has nothing to do with the Salem Witch Trials or anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job more or less

Poor management

Bartender (Former Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsI was able to earn enough money to help get me through college by bartending. I met a lot of great people working and I had a lot of fun.

ConsManagement was horrible. They ran the business all wrong. The owner was very selfish and scared off many of the better workers at the bar, which in turn made its popularity steeply decline. I no longer go to this bar because of the way things are still run.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to like your employees more. Stop being so selfish. The world is round.

Got to love historic houses to make it worthwhile

Fundraiser (Current Employee)
    Salem, MA

ProsThe view of harbor is beautiful. The grounds are beautiful. Salem is a nice place to be – great restaurants.

ConsGetting to Salem is a drag. It’s a nonprofit so low salaries and no raises, and no money for perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to give staff reason to work there. More flexible hours, extended vacations, more responsibility and authority to compensate.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work as a second job and have good interactions with the public, a fun side job.

Tour Guide (Current Employee)
    Salem, MA

ProsGood, fun, friendly, and easygoing coworkers -- there is a lighthearted and friendly atmosphere where staff engage in casual and random discussions. Warm and kind bosses -- very little interference as each employee is expected and is responsible, reliable, and mature. Sharing, educating, and informing the visiting public about the site and Salem is a great aspect of the job especially when you enjoy this type of stuff. Interacting with tourists is always fun.

ConsLow pay -- minimum wage. Quiet, sometimes very quiet days -- but, that could be a plus at times when you want to catch up on a good read or school work. During the busy Halloween season, doing tours back-to-back can get tiring and repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about new ways to promote and draw traffic to the site. Find ways to compensate staff above min wage.

Worked for The House of the Seven Gables? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The House of the Seven Gables reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The House of the Seven Gables CEO Stanley Birchfield. All reviews posted anonymously by The House of the Seven Gables employees.