The Houstonian Hotel Club and Spa

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Mills

Good experience, good atmosphere.

Youth Attendant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat place to work at. Good benefits, friendly people, comfortable environment.

ConsNot too flexible with hours, life revolves around this company. Feel like you have no free time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how people also need to have there own life outside of the workplace. Be a little more flexible.

Great starting employment for students, but not a place to stay long term.

Member Service Agent (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey are very flexible and like to work with college students. You are also able to gain experience by changing departments or campuses (hotel, club, spa). Great benefits within the hotel, club, and spa.

ConsThere is no place for real advancement. It can be a highly stressful job with crazy hours and the pay is not bad but not so great either.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers, directors, and supervisors should also be required to take training courses as all other employees do. Also, a little appreciation can go a long way.

It paid my bills, but with that being said, I did experience discrimination.

Bellman (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou meet a lot of interesting people, that can broaden your horizons.

ConsDiscrimination within the organization, mainly within the front office staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop discriminating

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat work environment and good co-works. Loved having access the gym. Good health care options and employee benefits

ConsNot a lot of room for movement or growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities to move into more senior positions (supervisor or management)

Dreadful

Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood benefits, some cool people

ConsExtended employment in the club can make one lose their sense of self. You must speak to everyone from 'script' as my manager called it. Forced to work holidays with little to no flexibility. Must perform back breaking labor while gossiping management looks down at you. Advice to new hires; if you ever have a problem don't think management will help you. They are extremely trigger happy; 22% turnover, probably all terminations. Instead of fix any problems they'd rather just fire everyone involved.

Advice to Senior Managementdo some real management and get to the staff that upholds the club

Big town goodness

Concierge (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWorking tat the Houstonian provides the opportunity to interact with professionals from all walks of life and from all parts of the world. Members and guests of the club are among the leaders of the city, state, and nation. Management fosters respect of the individual at all levels with a great emphasis on customer service.

ConsOpportunities for advancement at the club are limited due to the small size and single location of the club. Management is brought in from from external companies so there is little room for internal staff to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentive and opportunity for career advancement through school stipends, educational opportunities, and industry trade show attendance.

Good money for relatively little work

Fitness Service Agent (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEasy job, get to interact with a lot of interesting people.

Consmanagement can be a pain.

Does not promote from within for management, brings in smiling incompetent people instead

Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros-Benefits
    -Nice front line employees
    -Flexible work schedule, good for students
    -Ability to mover around (not up) in the company)

Cons-Managers do not communicate with front line employees...they barely say hello to you
    -Managers do not support employees...they expect you to take care of everything (I might as well be the manager!!)
    -There is not enough employee recognition...many employees have been there for over 20 years with nothing important to show for it except a paycheck

Advice to Senior ManagementMore substantial employee recognition especially for those who have been with the company for 20 + years.
    Be genuinely nice. Do not pretend because you think I'm just a "kid"
    Support your employees, if they ask you for something it's because they need your, not their own.

The Houstonian Hotel, Club and Spa is excellent, but not up to the expectations based upon their reputation.

Assistant Club General Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe culture is second to none at this unique property. Being a boutique hotel with a private health club and spa, the opportunities for advancement can be limited, but the company does hold its employees in high regard. There can be some inconsistency from department to department as to how employee disciplinary actions are delivered creating an issue with fairness, but overall the ownership of this property is second to none.

ConsThe inconsistencies I listed above. Areas of this property do not have current policies and procedure handbooks so initial training can be lacking, but there is an intense effort to correct this issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo pay attention to their employees and to provide clear, concise and consistent feedback with corrective measures to be taken if necessary. The annual employee review system is inconsistently administered, some managers utilize this tool while others do not, and the ones that choose not to are not held accountable by Senior Management. If a negative review is given, correct measures are not clearly outlined in some departments. This creates an environment where employees are left to use their best judgement to correct these issues, and their judgement may not be what the company wants. The employee isn't provided feedback until their next annual review, in some departments, and expecting an improved rating after putting forth the effort to improve, many are surprised to receive another negative review.

Worked for The Houstonian Hotel Club and Spa? Contribute to the Community!