The Howard Hughes Corporation

Updated September 27, 2014
2.6

David Weinreb

Great Corporate Culture

I have been working at The Howard Hughes Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love everything about this company. It has an amazing management team and a great portfolio. The benefits are awesome too!

Cons

I just wish there were more than 24 hours in day.

Toxic with High Turnover - Stay Away

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Howard Hughes Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Attractive Galleria location. Frequent "Ordering-In" of dinner (explained below), and jean fridays.

Cons

Extremely high turnover in the Accounting / Finance area (especially Corporate office). No work life balance. Unfortunately, accomplishment is measured on how many hours you put in (not the actual work performed). Dinner is ordered in just about every night and it's a big deal if you leave before 7pm (this is considered early). Employee morale is as low as I've witnessed at any organization of this size. Most people who are still hanging around are just waiting for their share grants to vest before they bolt. The joke of the place is that it's akin to Shawshank Prison (yes the movie). Existing employees actually joke when they see new hires join the team as they take bets on how many weeks the new person will last. **Last note - the financial systems are disjointed relics of the past. Running legacy software that is over 15 years old. It's really nothing short of a circus. If you are a candidate thinking of joining HHC, join at your own risk. My advice would be to make sure you ask them very detailed questions during the interview (and don't accept an offer until they let you interview with a couple peer level employees). Ask them pointed questions about the high rate of turnover (i.e.make them explain and defend it). Hope I can save some bright candidates from making a career move they'll soon regret.

Keep walking over your employees and you will cement the reputation as a bad place to work.

Empty

Current Employee - Accounting
    Current Employee - Accounting

I have been working at The Howard Hughes Corporation full-time

Pros

conveniently located in a beautiful area

Cons

Corporate cultural push for the 24/7 work commitment. Lack of internal opportunties. Lack of communication and direction at all levels...very much a figure out as you go environment.

Work/Life balance isn't a gimmick...it's what people need to perform at their best!