The Humane Society of the United States

Wayne Pacelle

Effective programs, poor management

Former Employee - Senior Director
    Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely effective organization in accomplishing it's mission, which is 95% due to the CEO's programmatic vision and leadership over the past 10 yrs. Exciting and motivating to work for such a passionate, influential and successful organization making meaningful change for animals. CEO has recruited some of the most talented campaign directors in the nation and they have led extraordinary change. Truly amazing and inspiring people to work with for animals. Good benefits. Very competitive pay for director level and up.

Cons

The primary weakness of this organization is in it's ability to professionally and positively manage it's extremely talented staff. Morale can be very low and turnover high, depending on dept. Most of the senior *administrative* executives (not senior campaign mgmt) are extremely poor managers and/or are not given the autonomy to make the changes needed to improve communication and management internally. The top two leaders make not only all the program decisions (which is their great forte), but also all the internal management, operating and structural decisions (very much not their forte). They have not yet been able to recognize that deficit and delegate it to others who are much more skilled in that arena. The comments on this site regarding management weaknesses and croneyism are largely accurate. High expectations for overtime, poor management of talented staff, low pay of front-line program staff, etc.

Conduct a meaningful management and internal communications audit with an outside consultant. Then implement their recommendations.

Animal Caretaker

Former Employee - Kennel and Barn Worker
    Former Employee - Kennel and Barn Worker

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Such a fulfilling and wonderful experience working with the dogs and knowing that you are making a difference in their lives!

Cons

Sometimes working in that kind of environment is stressful for both you and the animals. And working here really exposes how horrible humans can be to their pets.

Be more open minded about the way tasks are accomplished and perhaps be more active in the community!

Its very 9 to 5

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have some really nice people with big hearts

Cons

The staff is not pushed to do all they can to help animals. The management don't push a culture of communication and high standards. At times I would have to call PETA to get the answers I needed. So much more could be done if dedication to the cause was shown from the top.

Staff need better training but more importantly they need people who lead by example and aren't there waiting to retire.

Be wary of senior management

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can bring your companion animals to work

Cons

Cronyism at the top levels of the organization

Get you head out of the clouds and connect with the staff on the front lines

Great place to work.

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, enjoy staff interactions though could use more extra curricular activities.

Cons

Office is outdated. It could use a major renovation.

Intern for Puppy Mill Campaign

Former Employee - Intern in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing co-workers.
    Dog friendly office
    Getting to see the differences you make every day
    Free starbucks coffee and vegan treats
    Open door with supervisors (in Campaign department at least)
    On site help with resume and career options
    Free Humane University classes
    Learn something new every day
    Flexible with time off
    Getting to meet some of the big names in various NPOs
    Occasionally rescue transports come to the area and you can help, definitely the best part.

Honestly I cried on my last day, this was the best job I have ever had and I still keep in touch with most of my department.

Cons

Terrible intern pay (10/day) but hey, it's an internship
    Some people can be very rude if you aren't vegan

Great place to work if you love animals!

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time

Pros

Get to work with a dedicated group of employees, donors and volunteers who truly support pet adoptions, public education, training and healthcare services. Volunteering for organization is great way to get foot in the door.

Cons

Working your way into already established groups. Get co-workers to help you with work outside their job description. High turn over in some areas.

Give kudos to your employees who go the extra mile.

Wonderful place to work

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture is wonderful. Everyone is mission-focused, friendly, and down to earth. It's a huge place so there isn't a ton of department-to-department interaction, but my department feels like a little family. PTO and health insurance is good. There is definitely opportunity to advance. And people bring their dogs to work, which adds to a contented atmosphere.

Cons

As entry-level there isn't *always* something to do and with so much that HSUS does I want to get more hands on, but I'm trusting that will come with time. I would say low pay, but it's a non-profit admin level position, so there's that. The PTO, benefits and office culture make up for it.

Intern

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

gained some experience in a big non-profit

Cons

work was dull, not much room for self starting or creativity

Give interns more interesting tasks

This is a great organization with a wonderful mission.

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States part-time

Pros

Great staff. Great Mission. Nice campus.

Cons

Low pay. Some people have stayed there longer than they should have.