The Institute of Cancer Research

3.3

CEO

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good starting experience

Former Employee - SCIENTIFIC OFFICER  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - SCIENTIFIC OFFICER in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good funding as well as a huge variety of different projects and techniques throughout the company. Lovely staff to work with, good canteen for lunch. Widely recognised for quality research

Cons

Pay levels seem to stay low with no overtime or bonus available, but overtime is still expected to be worked.

I did my PhD at the ICR

Current Employee - PhD Student  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of money to do research and good salary compared to other PhD positions in the UK

Cons

Poor student support and few students actually publish papers

Varied, challenging and enjoyable organisation to work for, with excellent goals and direction.

Current Employee - MSC Administrator  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - MSC Administrator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good locations (Chelsea, Fulham, Sutton). Variety of employees.

Cons

Not many social events organised, but depends on the department you are in. Not very easy to progress within certain departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A quiet leader in basic and translational cancer research with unparalleled drug development capabilities

Current Employee - PhD Student  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research

Pros

ICR encompasses some everything from basic tumour biology to truly translational cancer science and oncology drug development. It's rated the top research organisation in the UK (RAE 2008) and is responsible for countless numbers of oncology drugs which have or are about to reach market e.g. Carboplatin, Melphalan, Abiraterone, Olaparib (via Kudos), HSP90 and PI3K inhibitors. Modern buildings and some of the best scientists in the industry offer an outstanding environment in which to excel.

Cons

I agree with the other review. Not all staff at ICR are outstanding and not all are that motivated. They could achieve so much more!! There are also limited core facilities, which puts them at odds with many other comparative organisations. They need to work better with their clinical partners, the Royal Marsden Hospital, if they are to achieve their goals.

We need a new business focused CEO and an excellent core team of chief scientists to lead ICRs scientific strategy. An improved relationship with the Royal Marsden Hospital and collaboration on Fundraising would increase revenue and status within the UK and abroad.

High quality cancer research institute in central London.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scientist  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scientist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research

Pros

Some of the labs are world-renowned, with excellent reputation. As an institution, it is attractive in that it spans all facets of cancer research and drug development from basic R&D, to development, to drug screening to clinical trials.

Cons

Not all of the staff or researchers are highly motivated or talented. Although the location is quite good in central London or Sutton.

I would advise management to always be sure to contribute to professional developement of employees, although there is some of that in place, including training and coursework.

Worked for The Institute of Cancer Research? Contribute to the Community!