The Institute of Cancer Research
www.icr.ac.uk 1000 to 5000 Employees

The Institute of Cancer Research Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Feb 11, 2014

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Well supported research post with access to great facilities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA very well connected research institution that performs very well in attracting funding and training staff. Remarkably well positioned to interact with the clinic via partnership with the Royal Marsden Hospital.

ConsTending toward translational projects, possibly at the cost of basic research.
The Institute is split between two sites, which can present frustration for collaborative activities between teams.

Good starting experience

Scientific Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood funding as well as a huge variety of different projects and techniques throughout the company. Lovely staff to work with, good canteen for lunch. Widely recognised for quality research

ConsPay levels seem to stay low with no overtime or bonus available, but overtime is still expected to be worked.

I did my PhD at the ICR

PhD Student (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPlenty of money to do research and good salary compared to other PhD positions in the UK

ConsPoor student support and few students actually publish papers

Varied, challenging and enjoyable organisation to work for, with excellent goals and direction.

MSC Administrator (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than a year

ProsGood locations (Chelsea, Fulham, Sutton). Variety of employees.

ConsNot many social events organised, but depends on the department you are in. Not very easy to progress within certain departments.

More business like than academic research institute

Postdoctoral Scientist (Former Employee)
Sutton, London, England (UK)

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent facilities, access to more clinical aspects of research, opportunity to collaborate with good teams. Basic but has sports facility, socialising occasions.

ConsFor basic science project, it is better to be in Chelsea than in Sutton in terms of collaborations or getting help in general. There were more scientific officers than postdocs so if you like the university-based atmosphere, it's not the best choice.

Great people, inadequate leadership team

Research Associate (Former Employee)
Sutton, London, England (UK)

I worked at The Institute of Cancer Research

Pros- top scientific institution
- possibility to work with some best scientists and cutting edge technology

Cons- unpredictable leadership team
- very bad communication with the rest of the employ
- very hierarchy

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater appreciation to people's effort
Greater transparency in ICR strategy and what impact it will have on those that work there

A quiet leader in basic and translational cancer research with unparalleled drug development capabilities

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research

ProsICR encompasses some everything from basic tumour biology to truly translational cancer science and oncology drug development. It's rated the top research organisation in the UK (RAE 2008) and is responsible for countless numbers of oncology drugs which have or are about to reach market e.g. Carboplatin, Melphalan, Abiraterone, Olaparib (via Kudos), HSP90 and PI3K inhibitors. Modern buildings and some of the best scientists in the industry offer an outstanding environment in which to excel.

ConsI agree with the other review. Not all staff at ICR are outstanding and not all are that motivated. They could achieve so much more!! There are also limited core facilities, which puts them at odds with many other comparative organisations. They need to work better with their clinical partners, the Royal Marsden Hospital, if they are to achieve their goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need a new business focused CEO and an excellent core team of chief scientists to lead ICRs scientific strategy. An improved relationship with the Royal Marsden Hospital and collaboration on Fundraising would increase revenue and status within the UK and abroad.

High quality cancer research institute in central London.

Postdoctoral Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Institute of Cancer Research

ProsSome of the labs are world-renowned, with excellent reputation. As an institution, it is attractive in that it spans all facets of cancer research and drug development from basic R&D, to development, to drug screening to clinical trials.

ConsNot all of the staff or researchers are highly motivated or talented. Although the location is quite good in central London or Sutton.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to always be sure to contribute to professional developement of employees, although there is some of that in place, including training and coursework.

Worked for The Institute of Cancer Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Institute of Cancer Research reviews and ratings in United Kingdom. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by The Institute of Cancer Research employees.