The J. M. Smucker Company Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Richard K. Smucker

Pros
  • Smucker offers a nice work/life balance and good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits and perks for employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Orrville is in the middle of no where (in 3 reviews)

1. Marketing Analyst

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Great company culture with best in class practices. Opportunity to move onto other brand teams. Supportive coworkers and collaboration across departments.

Cons

Could have more uniformity in procedures across SBAs.

Jul 31, 2015 – Corporate Communications Representative

We appreciate your comments and will share your review with our internal teams!

2. Temporary Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Temporary Administrative Assistant in Orrville, OH
    Former Employee - Temporary Administrative Assistant in Orrville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company

Pros

Great work-life balance, summer hours, great people to work with, top management is very easy to access, felt very included and welcomed!

Cons

No cons to include. I loved working with them.

Advice to Management

Worked with them and absolutely adored it.

Jul 17, 2015 – Corporate Communications Representative

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed your time with our Company.

3. Growing leaps and bounds

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company

Pros

Company is growing, thus opportunity. Craves talent willing to relocate Looks to become a leader in the industry

Cons

location- based in the outskirts of NE Ohio, commuting is a haul lacks diversity Political

5. Smucker's

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Excellent leadership and work environment. Business continues to grow. Benefits improving.

Cons

Growth coming at the expense of company culture. Rural location.

Advice to Management

Too many outside hires at higher levels is diluting the culture. Politics becoming more common. Try to be more visible and engaged with employees. Not just in large meetings, but daily encounters.

Jul 17, 2015 – Corporate Communications Representative

Thank you for your feedback. As our Company continues to grow, our focus remains on the growth and development of our people. Your comments will be shared internally.

Not necessarily career oriented depending on your role

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Good stability. Laid back atmosphere. Lots of challenging work.

Cons

Unless you are at the corporate center or in operations management at a plant it's not a career. I see people come in on the 'professional track' (i.e. something specialized like finance or engineering) who then stop progressing with pay bumps that are below inflation. If you are interviewing for a specialized position ask to know how you would progress. If you are at corporate headquarters you will have many more opportunities for advancement. If you are asked to take a plant assignment find out how soon you can return

Advice to Management

Be careful to balance out the plants and outlying operations and HQ. There seems to be a large disconnect between the two.

Deciding to stay or go

Current Employee - Manager in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is always looking at long term and is making the hard decisions which is good for growth and stability. They invest in most employees. Work life balance is stressed (although decisions at times prevent obtaining it). Those putting in extra time are rewarded but not always in a way to sustain an employee to want to continue. Great company to tell you that you're doing a good job. Competitive salary and benefits. There are individuals at the Sr. Mgmt level that understand how to treat people.

Cons

Definitely a company trying to catch up with its growth. Great company at complimenting employees but they are tired of hearing 'you're doing a great job' but continue to keep you in positions or levels in an org that doesn't advance or develop an employee. Have the difficult conversations and tell the employees the truth of what they need to work on. It's your job leadership to develop them. They are desiring that honest feedback. They expect that from their leadership. Rip off the bandaid and state the shareholder results are the priority over culture. If culture and people was important then they'd address the damaging leadership quickly. People keep score how many times this happens. Good news is Smucker is going through what other companies go through or have gone through. They have the right people in the organization to rise above it. They just need to start putting those individuals in places to make the right change happen.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a check and balance of performance of people managers that are effecting people's careers. Start asking the questions from the right people to get the hard answers you are afraid to hear but need to hear. Don't tap dance with the employees.....they want to hear the straight truth and expect the hard facts from a big business. Don't let the desire to seek new ideas result in only focusing on the new employees or new company acquired. They'll keep losing veteran / experienced employees if they only focus on the new ideas and new employees. No one wants to continue to work for employers that only like the new blood.

Jun 26, 2015 – Corporate Communications Representative

We thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and are glad to hear about the positive aspects of your position as well as areas where we can improve. Your comments will be shared internally.

Outlook

Current Employee - Factory Worker
    Current Employee - Factory Worker

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, opportunity to advance..

Cons

Management out of touch with work force even though they say they listen.

Advice to Management

Get it together before you loose more good employees.

waste management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company (More than 5 years)

Pros

great pay and benefits, 8-10 hour shifts, and cross training

Cons

management inability to treat all employees fair and unwilling to address issues within the leadership.

Advice to Management

Do the Right thing and reprimand the leadership for discrimination - Homosexuality issues

10. Manager

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Overall good company to work for.

Cons

No Major Cons. Reporting structure

May 14, 2015 – Corporate Communications Representative

Thank you for your comments. We're happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The J.M. Smucker Company!

"Love My Co-Workers, Management is Out of Touch"

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is well-respected. The people are wonderful to work with. I couldn't ask for better co-workers. The work-family balance is also emphasized in more flexible working hours. Training opportunities are abundant, and the ability to further develop your skill set is also a plus, but if the right people don't like you, there will never be an opportunity to use those skills.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive with other companies in our same industry. Salary increases/raises are only given once per year and are quite small. Management is still trying to run the company old-style, and they shy away from positive change in order to keep things the "same." Politics and "who-likes-who" tends to play a large role in deciding promotions or internal moves, rather than actually choosing the candidate who is the most qualified. Campus is very "cliquey." It tends to resemble a high school or college environment at times.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and recognize those who have worked hard. Take a look at your upper level management. I don't think they are upholding the company culture and values the way you think they are. Recognize that many of your employees on the corporate side are looking for other opportunities, and make an attempt to figure out why. Stop promoting people who don't deserve it. It gives the impression that management is out of touch with what is really going on in their departments.

RSS Feed </> Embed