The J. M. Smucker Company Reviews

Updated May 19, 2015
99 reviews filtered by
3.8
Richard K. Smucker

Pros
  • Smucker offers a nice work/life balance and good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits and perks for employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Orrville is in the middle of no where (in 3 reviews)

1. Good company

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company as an intern

Pros

Good company to work with. Good culture.

Cons

A little slow on new processes. But working to be better.

2. waste management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company (More than 5 years)

Pros

great pay and benefits, 8-10 hour shifts, and cross training

Cons

management inability to treat all employees fair and unwilling to address issues within the leadership.

Advice to Management

Do the Right thing and reprimand the leadership for discrimination - Homosexuality issues

3. Shopper Marketing Intern

Former Intern - Shopper Marketing in Rogers, AR
    Former Intern - Shopper Marketing in Rogers, AR

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company as an intern

Pros

Great company culture and benefits! Great people, too.

Cons

None. Great company and culture!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Apr 24, 2015Corporate Communications Representative

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed your internship with our Company!

5. Manager

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Overall good company to work for.

Cons

No Major Cons. Reporting structure

May 14, 2015Corporate Communications Representative

Thank you for your comments. We're happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The J.M. Smucker Company!

6. Great people, Bad management

Former Employee - Machiene Technician in Scottsville, KY
    Former Employee - Machiene Technician in Scottsville, KY

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The majority of the people I had the opportunity to work with were amazing and made the long shifts go by quickly.
    Great benefits, good pay, extremely concerned with the safety and well-being of their employees.

Cons

12 hour shifts, mandatory night shifts when you begin, management tends to act before thinking & doesn't consider every option

Advice to Management

Think and look at all options before acting.
    Don't assume & just take one person's word.
    When someone comes to you with a problem get all information and BE WILLING TO LISTEN TO THEM

Apr 9, 2015Corporate Communications Representative

We appreciate the time you took to leave your detailed review. The constructive feedback you provided will be shared internally.

"Love My Co-Workers, Management is Out of Touch"

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is well-respected. The people are wonderful to work with. I couldn't ask for better co-workers. The work-family balance is also emphasized in more flexible working hours. Training opportunities are abundant, and the ability to further develop your skill set is also a plus, but if the right people don't like you, there will never be an opportunity to use those skills.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive with other companies in our same industry. Salary increases/raises are only given once per year and are quite small. Management is still trying to run the company old-style, and they shy away from positive change in order to keep things the "same." Politics and "who-likes-who" tends to play a large role in deciding promotions or internal moves, rather than actually choosing the candidate who is the most qualified. Campus is very "cliquey." It tends to resemble a high school or college environment at times.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and recognize those who have worked hard. Take a look at your upper level management. I don't think they are upholding the company culture and values the way you think they are. Recognize that many of your employees on the corporate side are looking for other opportunities, and make an attempt to figure out why. Stop promoting people who don't deserve it. It gives the impression that management is out of touch with what is really going on in their departments.

8. Great place to start a career in IT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

World class IT department does a great job keeping infrastructure and applications up to date. Infrastructure and application development teams are top notch. Lots of opportunity for advancement if you keep an open mind and embrace the decisions of management. Plenty of opportunities for training. Hard work, communication, and initiative are recognized and rewarded. Great team-oriented culture. Smuckers offers one of the best benefits packages in Ohio. If you're looking for broad IT experience, Smuckers is the place for you.

Cons

The solution delivery side of the IT department tends to favor and reward adaptability over expertise. The easiest path to advancement in the solution delivery group is agreeing with management. The IT department has gone through a lot of organizational change. You may be asked to take assignments that you wouldn't have chosen yourself. Once you gain expertise in a certain area, you'll easily find other companies willing to pay you much more.

Security officer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very good. Benefits are pretty good including vacation time.

Cons

Management is lacking and often times unresponsive. Raises are minimal because company is to busy buying up other businesses. To much red tape to get even the most simple tasks accomplished. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions and mistakes and blame is often pushed off onto others

Advice to Management

Get with the program. Lower and middle management is taking the company down and does not hold the values that made this company one of the best to work for. There is a reason some of your best talent leaves this company and some departments have very high turnovers

10. Amazing people, products, leadership, and values; location only issue.

Current Employee - OHIO in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - OHIO in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smucker's focuses on their employees and providing value to their customers and consumers. I have had multiple training opportunities and been given extraordinary opportunities to work with high-level individuals. It is very much a learning environment that wants individuals to be happy in their current roles; switching between teams and hiring within is very common.

Cons

For a younger employee, the location is a con. Orrville is about 30 minutes from Akron, OH and an hour from Cleveland, OH. Other than those two cities, you do not have a lot of options of places to live. On the plus side, traffic is not a huge issue because you are traveling away from the city.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and do not be afraid to let the bad baggage go.

Mar 27, 2015Corporate Communications Representative

Thank you for your feedback and your dedication to The J.M. Smucker Company. We're happy to hear you enjoy your employment with our Company!

One of my better employers. However, management appears to be out of touch with how the employees really feel and think

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits overall - health, dental, 401K

Cons

Very few pay increases. Little attention paid to employees desires for advancement. Not much listening to employees work concerns - no action taken.

Mar 27, 2015Corporate Communications Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We value your feedback and will share your comments with our internal teams.

RSS Feed </> Embed