The Johns Hopkins Hospital Reviews

Reset
3.7
The Johns Hopkins Hospital President Ronald R. Peterson
Ronald R. Peterson

Pros
  • You get a lot of opportunity to learn new skills and grow within the company (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits, opportunity to learn from many diverse backgrounds (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • academic focus takes precedence - patient care takes back burner (in 3 reviews)

• Nurses work 40 hours a week instead of 36 hours a week (in 5 reviews)

1. Overall a good experience

Current Employee - Product Manager/Data Analyst/Data Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Product Manager/Data Analyst/Data Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

An excellent work life balance. The work itself was on par with what I would expect for my title. Some room for growth.

Cons

There was so much management that it made it hard to make progress on projects on occassion

2. Registered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is exceptional, staffing to patient ratios are great, competitive salary despite "word of mouth", great benefits, ability to grow, promote, and learn

Cons

Never cancelled from work

Advice to Management

Don't strictly hire experienced nurses

3. RN

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

excellent tuition reimbursement benefits, health benefits are good for preventative care, lots of opportunities for professional growth, some continuing education courses are reimbursed

Cons

difficult to get an answer from HR, hard to get ahold of anyone really, parking is expensive, nursing must work 40 hr/wk to get full time benefits, hourly pay is on the lower side of MD, takes a long time to be reimbursed

Advice to Management

have people who actually enjoy being friendly answer phones, strive to respond to questions within 1 business day, return phone calls

5. best of the best

Current Employee - Nurse Clinician II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Nurse Clinician II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very friendly staff. Great benefits. I love Johns Hopkins.

Cons

I couldn't find a job for my role advancement. Every available job required 1-3 years of experience in my new role.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work with hiring friendly staff and stay the best of the best.

6. CCSR - Clinical Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - CCSR - Clinical Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Pros

Excellent benefits. Employers love the name Johns Hopkins on a resume, so that worked to my benefit.

Cons

Salary was really bad. They offered me 14.00/hr and I have a Masters degree. I took it because I was struggling for a job, but they will not budge to negotiate. They put on the job description some college required, but only seemed to hire individuals with degrees. That was their tactic to pay low. Also the hospital uses a hierarchical system. If you weren't a clinician, you were at the bottom of the totem pole.

Advice to Management

Treat others as you would like to be treated. Just because you are in an urban setting and attract employees from the community, does not mean everyone is incompetent. Offer more training opportunities to your employees who you feel are lacking in certain areas.

7. Stock Clerk

Former Employee - Engineering Storage Department Assistant in Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Engineering Storage Department Assistant in Catonsville, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and great people loved the oppurtunities that had there

Cons

No real down side to job

8. Armstrong Institute of Patient Safety and Quality

Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A good number of smart (and really nice) people who truly passionate about healthcare and tries to make a real change; worldwide recognized name, opportunity to get unique experience working with edge technologies

Cons

Employees reluctant to change due to high average age and high workload; definitely not dynamic, a lot of bureaucracy, lack of communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Hospital really needs more internal communication and balanced workload.

9. If you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Pros

Health benefits and hard-working staff.

Cons

Under market compensation for staff, no raises; Management is guided by Directors and Executives on power trips who compete with one another, can't make a decision, and don't know how to manage people.

Advice to Management

Management Training should be mandatory for all Executives; Develop fair compensation levels; drop the boot camp mentality, stop treating staff like children; Give everyone opportunities not a select few.

Supervisor

Current Employee - Management Supervisor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Management Supervisor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to grow in, but not a place where I would build a long career. JHH is an excellent organization that provides great entry level advancement and allows employees to seamlessly move from one department to another (sometimes for the good). Excellent education reimbursement opportunities (some of the best I have ever seen).

Cons

A very large organization that a person can get lost in if not prepared to network. You will get from it what you put in, but make sure to have an exit strategy if your go not want to build a long career at this entity.

my sad story there

Former Employee - Nurse Clinician I in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Nurse Clinician I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they are a great name to add to your resume and make you look super awesome at job interviews. Its a beautiful work environment and affluent patients are rampant.

Cons

They are biased against foreign nurses despite the fact that they seek them out and pay high costs to hire them and maintain legal status in the US

Advice to Management

Please if you'll go through the pains to pay for a foreign nurse to get a green card at least try to invest more in their training and well being in placement specialty and less on having them stripped of their hard-earned license.

RSS Feed </> Embed