The Johns Hopkins Hospital

The Johns Hopkins Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

The Johns Hopkins Hospital President Ronald R. Peterson

Ronald R. Peterson

Pros
  • Cutting Edge technology, GREAT benefits (although we pay a lot for insurance)(in 4 reviews)

• You get a lot of opportunity to learn new skills and grow within the company(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • academic focus takes precedence - patient care takes back burner(in 3 reviews)

• I see, in my department, a high level of incompetence which the management refuses to acknowledge and/or do anything about(in 2 reviews)

Committed, qualified scientists with rigorous standards.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDriven, intellectually talented individuals. Cutting-edge research and work.

ConsCompetitive and cutthroat work environment.

New manager

Program Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

Prosi have been there 5 months, shocking how down to earth and nice everyone is despite the other reviews. Great work/home balance. Not a day I drive in on Wolfe Street, look up and see the Johns Hopkins on the side of the building and think wow! The benefits cover 100% of the treatment that you receive at the # hospital in the country...

ConsIt can take a while to get things done, but maybe because people are laid back?

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, keep doing what you are doing

Stable environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsStability within the health care space. Good benefits package. Recognized yearly as the number one hospital in the country if not the world.

ConsThere may be a disparity in compensation between Hopkins positions versus other private sector positions. Yet Hopkins rarely ever lays off employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

unappreciated unless you're a doctor

Help Desk (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

Proscoworkers are pretty great. that's it.

Consterrible pay, terrible raises. lots of favoritism,cronyism, and nepotism. management cares nothing about sacrifices of employees. no room to move up unless you know someone, even if you have superior reviews....

Advice to Senior Managementhire managers with management skills. not your friends and family!

Lots of opportunity but very low salaries

Pros--Endless amounts of in-house training available.
    --Lots of bright people doing interesting things.
    --Good leadership.
    --If you have a flexible degree or background, it seems like you could move around inside the institution quite a bit, doing different things over the years.

Cons--Ridiculously low salaries for everyone across the board--doctors earn in lowest 25th percentile in their field, and many IT jobs go unfilled for years due to very low salaries. JHH is experiencing the same financial pinch as everyone else in healthcare/academic medicine, but given historically stingy spending on salaries, it's worse here. As they say at Harvard, "You can't eat prestige."
    --Also, culture can be stuffy, old-fashioned and formal, favoring faculty at the expense of staff. (It is usual for physicians to be called Dr. So-and-So and for them to address everyone else as FirstName, which is not the case in every health care setting.)
    --Tuition coverage benefit is great for employees with college-age children--can be an enormous benefit--but for those of us with no children, that benefit is worthless and essentially we end up subsidizing the other employees with kids. Annoying.
    --No retirement contribution matching.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe very low salaries are your biggest problem, but you probably already know that.

Not Bad

Resident (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsReasonable working hours and life balance

ConsToo many small pieces going on

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

ProsGreat support for nurses and opportunities to learn. Compassionate, caring co-workers.

ConsParking costly, but very well patrolled and helpful attendents and security.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, always a pleasure to have support from management.

Reliable Employment, Decent Pay, Decent Benefits

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGood work/life balance; regular cost of living increases; flexible working hours

ConsThe budget for training has been decreasing for several years. There are no bonuses for finishing projects early or below budget.

Loved my time there

ProsThe environment is awesome and the health care is great

ConsThe neighborhood that the hospital is in is quite bad

Great place for new graduate nurses

ProsExtensive nurse residency, provides a lot of support and useful resources.

ConsRotating 50/50 nights and days can be difficult and lengthy orientation depending on unit

Worked for The Johns Hopkins Hospital? Contribute to the Community!