The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Updated October 23, 2014
3.7

The Johns Hopkins Hospital President Ronald R. Peterson
Ronald R. Peterson

Pros
  • Cutting Edge technology, GREAT benefits (although we pay a lot for insurance) (in 4 reviews)

• You get a lot of opportunity to learn new skills and grow within the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • academic focus takes precedence - patient care takes back burner (in 3 reviews)

• I see, in my department, a high level of incompetence which the management refuses to acknowledge and/or do anything about (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

I get as much experience as I work to earn.

Current Employee - Assistant Administrator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Administrator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Great jumping off point if you plan to move to another area - the reputation gets noticed. Positive working environment and working around other gifted people.

Cons

Revolving door for employees. Difficult to manage the Baltimore City group at times.

Pay more to all levels. Front line is the hardest hit. Give managers more flexibility, HR is always favoring the employee even when they are terrible.

Working at JHH has been a great learning experience

Current Employee - NCIIE in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - NCIIE in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Alot of support to move up within the company

Cons

Salaried instead of hourly. Required to work 40hour work weeks instead of 36 hour work weeks

Helping patients is a very fulfilling job but to not have the support of your employer, not so much.

Former Employee - Clinical Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being in the position to assist and comfort patients have been most satisfying.

Cons

The lack of support from upper management was discouraging to say the least.

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Project Leader in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great learning academic facility. Everyone is willing to teach each other and work together for the greater cause

Cons

Not a place to go if you are looking for big salaries, raises are low low.

Consider moving IT into the business. Working with the business having more oversight to drive their needs and improve workflow.

Great stepping stone.

Current Employee - Clinical Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This position serves at a great entry level career. Espeically someone that wants to work in health care but not quite sure they know what they want to do. This job will lead the way for you. It's also easy to advance with in this company as well.

Cons

It can be a little overwhelming at times.

Awesome place to work. I'm in the IT field and love what I do

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Pros

Great place to to work, lots of room for advancement. I've received 4 promotions within 2 years. My work always seems to be appreciated and the feedback is also valuable, good and bad

Cons

I have no cons, in most cases life is what you make it and this transcends to work life. Make the best of it is my motto

Keep up what you are doing. This is my personal experience and a very positive one

Food Service

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time

Pros

Work-Life Balance IS Good

Cons

Manger can sometimes be a a pain

Talk to your workers better. A happy worker makes production go smoothly

Just Okay.

Current Employee - Allied Heath Health Tech in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Allied Heath Health Tech in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Working with some of the best Drs out there. Incredible research happening.

Cons

Very little in the way of personal feedback. Everyone - no matter what, good employees or bad employees, are treated the exact same way when it comes to compensation. Compensation is low- they feel their name on your resume is partial compensation. Very little work and life balance- at Hopkins your life is work.

Hopkins is a teaching hospital and tends to treat all their employees as though they are there to learn and move on. This doesn't make sense for your employees who are not doctors and therefore you find a lot of new (fresh out of school) employees who will leave as soon as they get experience because Hopkins never meaningfully ups your salary. The other smaller group are very long term employees just waiting for their pensions and not particularly motivated to contribute. You would do well to try and keep your 5-10 year employees by adjusting compensation. (I made a $1 more an hour after 5 years of top notch reviews- I am leaving for another hospital that is willing to pay me $7 more an hour... so essentially you are just training for other hospitals- cheaper for them more expensive for you.)

Hopkins

Former Employee - Clinical Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, good professional development perks and they help you pay for school, as long as you work in return.

Cons

Pay, even with a masters degree.
    If you are a minority - expect to feel marginalized

Train staff in cultural competence. Diversify leadership roles.

Great organizational culture

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time

Pros

lots of opportunities for furthering education. Great people to work with, inspiring work environment, accomplished coworkers, good benefits

Cons

Decentralized management can be a barrier to efficiency, can be beaurocratic

The Johns Hopkins Hospital Photos