The Jones Group

The Jones Group Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

The Jones Group President, CEO, and Director Wes Card

Wes Card

Pros
  • Great work life balance- everyone leaves at 5pm on the dot and summer Fridays year around(in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits (401K matching, medical/dental, wage works)(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is aloof and not as involved in operations as they should be(in 8 reviews)

• Long hours and minimal work-life balance(in 6 reviews)

Fun, exciting, challenging

Store Manager (Former Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsRock solid company when it comes to training and formats laid out for you. You upmanagement is there for you and they hold you accountable. With a great outlook this can be the dream job.

ConsGuess the only con would be evening and weekend hours but if your in retail that's a given. But they only required you to work close everyother Saturday and two nights a week. I did much more than that because I wanted to.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey treated me fairly and i have no advice expect remember despite all the requirements that corperate puts in place. Your managers are people to.

Happy to come to work every day

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOver the past 8 years I've come and gone at the Jones Group and worked here as an Intern, entry level employee (hourly), and now a mid-level employee (salary)
    Here are the pro's as I've experienced them across all 3 terms at The Jones Group:
    - Great bosses who care about your professional development
    - Mentor program
    - Extremely supportive and friendly co-workers
    - Interaction and exposure with senior management
    - Travel opportunities to accounts to pitch plans and branch stores
    - A nice balance of a structured environment without feeling micro-managed
    - I feel a real ownership over my businesses/accounts
    - Opportunity to advance (with a lot of hard work and patience!)
    - Learning Center with classes for professional development as well as technical development
    - Attitude free culture and an open door policy
    - Discount on all brands, as well as 3-4 outfits allowance for each market
    - Centrally located office in midtown
    - Fair salary, but probably on the lower end of the industry
    - Good benefits (401K matching, medical/dental, wage works)

Cons- Over the past few years there has been a lot of change in direction coming from upper maangement
    - Better bonus structure would be nice, but hard to justify with the state of business
    - If business were better and the $$ were flowing I could be a lot more critical. Overall, I think SM has been fiscally responsible and so I can't criticize for not having certain benefits and perks

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be as transparent as possible to your employees, especially as the deal with Sycamore finalizes. Employees are nervous about the possible implications of the sale, and need to know whether or not their job is safe and how things will change.

Started out great, ended being disgusted.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers and associates were lovely..

ConsPay was low for position and volume of store. Also, company started to add more responsibility without the time or hours to execute. Although the company owned the Nine West Group, they took on the management principles of the footwear company. This lead to the demise of the apparel group. Customer loyalty dropped because the demographic of the footwear company was totally different than the apparel group. Several mass layoffs started to occur the year before I departed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to basics. Show your Store Managers and Associates how valued they really are by giving them less to do and allow them to do what they do best, make money for the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Horror House ....!

Assistance Manager (Current Employee) Estero, FL

ProsEmployee Discounts ( 40%)

ConsThere is not opportunity for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementUnqualify Management.

I enjoy working for the company but it has it's flaws.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Locust Grove, GA

ProsGreat pay, great benefits. I enjoy the fact that working for the company I have learnt a lot of things about being a store manager and customer service. Great training!

ConsLeadership from other managers isn't as great. Work on holidays, but that's at any retail store.

Cad Artist / Print and Pattern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice office setting, clean space, nice building.

ConsErratic work loads. Very long hours. Poor financial compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter manage work flow. Financial compensation for long hours.

Cronyism At It's Best

Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice product, corporate visual department proactive and talented, motivating corporate trainer

ConsMid level management runs a muck, challenging personnel practices.

Great company - invest in employees

Intern (Former Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsEmploye discount 40% off all brands
    Continuing education
    Mentor program

ConsHourly pay for most entry level positions

Didn't realize how bad JNY was till I started working for a real retailer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only good reason to work for JNY are the health benefits.

ConsEmbarrassing pay, can't sell something that nobody wants to buy, JNY doesn't foster loyalty, not even amongst the clientele anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN! The people that work the stores know what cliiets want, listen to them!

It was OK

Product Development (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat benefits, the corp culture is not catty, open door policy for most of management team, room for growth (limited) depending on which team you are assigned to

Conspay for entry level is non negotiable no matter your experience level.

lot of rumors about the state of the company (financially) of which the executive teams denied only for them to happen. the company was recently acquired by privately owned company and morale is really low, most people seem to be waiting for severance packages. As the company's only stance as of now is "business as usual" Since the acquisition doesn't become effective until April- it seems like a waiting game, no job security and more layoffs are for sure around the corner.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate.

Worked for The Jones Group? Contribute to the Community!