The Jones Group

The Jones Group Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

The Jones Group President, CEO, and Director Wes Card

Wes Card

Pros
  • Great work life balance- everyone leaves at 5pm on the dot and summer Fridays year around(in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits (401K matching, medical/dental, wage works)(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is aloof and not as involved in operations as they should be(in 8 reviews)

• Long hours and minimal work-life balance(in 6 reviews)

Not a bad place

Replenishment Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosprofessional, friendly environment. Strong in communication

ConsNo work/life balance. Upper Management are not approachable

Hands-on, learn a lot, great internship experience

Design Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosinternship program is very organized and dedicated to helping interns get the most out of their internship

Consnot a lot of cross-learning across departments.

Not so great

Administrative (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood starting off point; get your foot in the door; get a big corporation on your resume; learn a lot

Consany real learning you might want (ie learning about the fashion industry) you really do on your own; i learned a lot about excel; the particular department i was in had a few bullies who talked down to you, were outright rude at times, and had been reported to HR multiple times but nothing was done; i reported her to my manager and she then stopped talking to me like she was a child. Not an enjoyable work environment but manageable until something better comes along

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your "lowest" assistants, they are getting the brunt of the bad vibes and can give good advice on improvements.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top-heavy, company grew too large, nice people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits, company-match, average pay, trying to set itself apart from others by offering classes. Company values feel like words the marketing team made up. However, people are nice to work with and many are very hard-working.

ConsNumerous changes in management and downsizing creates an uncertain working environment. Management comes down to individual people and their skill sets. Too many people and too many levels slows down the development process. Having multiple people doing the same things does allow you to take your vacation time. Little growth. HR seems to be making up their own titles (probably to set their cap on salaries) so be aware when comparing with other companies. As in many places, some people are favored for unknown reasons. Office politics? Hope you have an office with a door for your own sanity.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are still there and not beaten down, try to recognize people for the extra effort they are putting in. Even if the upper echelons of management have sold their souls to the Board or whoever will get them their next position, we do look to you for leadership. What you DO provide, we see and appreciate.

It was my dream job and I miss the job. Sorry to see company change.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New City, NY

ProsIt used to be the company--classes, training programs, great benefits, bonuses, and employee discount.

ConsEvery division has different rules. You could have the same position in one division and leave at 3 o'clock, while in another division you might work through a state of emergency snow day. To top it off you might sit next to the person who can leave early. Managers are part of a cliché and do not see the big picture easily. The atomsphere lends to bullying and favoritism. Design and its elements are always chaging to no avail, while directors never change and you see many people losing jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Jones group always had excellent values overall. However, I have witnessed top managers being abusive by imitating a persons disability. By making an employee stay on a day which state declared an emergency. By suggesting that a vendor should comply with company wishes because they were "boyfriend' to employee.

great place to work

Retail Coordinator (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proslearning and training and great compensation, meet a lot of people

Consjob security is incosistent a lot of restructuring in the company

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the people that are dedicated and hardworking

Don't do it

ProsThere are great co-workers and teamwork

ConsTerrible managerial skills, positions aren't clearly defined, too many lay-offs going on and compnay not keeping it's employees up to date.

Great place to start out (and then move on), super corporate.

Production Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work/life balance.
    Mgmt and culture vary by division, but overall a sometimes fun, sometimes dull work environment. Mgmt can be very supportive and encouraging in letting associates take on new projects/tasks.
    Great training and learning opportunities for entry level.

ConsTakes forever to get raises and promotions. Previously had a culture of bringing in outsiders to fill positions instead of promoting from within. Getting somewhat better at this.
    Company is under new ownership, so a big re-org is going on. Layoffs will continue until it's finished.
    The job can get somewhat prefunctory, so many depts and everyone focuses on their silo.
    Salary, vacation, benefits are pretty average.
    HR Dept is worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more incentives for retaining talent. Cut out the fat paychecks at the top level. Hire better leaders!

Stay Away from "Gloria Vanderbilt" division

Production Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Benefits are good
    - 3PM leaves on Friday year round
    - Salary is reasonable

Cons- Upper managements are all devils and control freaks
    - OT everyday, very long working hours. (12 hours avg.)
    - Horrible office culture and they treat ppl very rude. Lots of politics going on
    - high turn over rates, the ppl working there are either stay for 20 years or less than 2 years. Upper managements have no clue what's going on outside the world. They are like communist.

Field Merchandiser

Field Merchandiser (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible schedule, decent, but not spectacular salary

ConsLower than average pay. Travel not 100% reimbursed by company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReimburse your regional workers 100% that need to travel as a requirement of the position

Worked for The Jones Group? Contribute to the Community!