The Jones Group

Updated September 11, 2014
2.9

The Jones Group President, CEO, and Director Wes Card
Wes Card

Pros
  • Great work life balance- everyone leaves at 5pm on the dot and summer Fridays year around (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits (401K matching, medical/dental, wage works) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is aloof and not as involved in operations as they should be (in 9 reviews)

• many late days, lack of communication, too much politics (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Former Employee - Key Holder/Senior Sales Associate  in  Crossville, TN
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Senior Sales Associate in Crossville, TN

I worked at The Jones Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working here straight out of college was a great transition for me. I worked with wonderful people and the company treated us all so well.

Cons

Shift changes on very short notice. That was always tough for me. My manager was also a bit difficult to talk with when it came to needing time off.

Be more careful with shift changes. Sometimes people can't drop their whole lives for a quick shift change.

Many, many changes in corporate structure.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Jones Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable job with good salary and perks. Excellent 401k.
    Large company and there are some very good people working there.

Cons

Many corporate changes over the years. Directions of business changed often.

I had a great experience

Former Employee - SAP Security Administrative  in  Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - SAP Security Administrative in Bristol, PA

I worked at The Jones Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

good opportunities and worked with wonderful people

Cons

Good work environment. I didn't experience any problems or issues

I had a wonderful experience

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a positive work environment.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at The Jones Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

40% discount. Good benefits. Salary was decent compared to other retail companies in my area. The hours were reasonable. The workload given to me was manageable.

Cons

The store I worked in was lacking in team work. Most everyone there was only out for their own best interests, rather than what was best for the store and the company. Every employee was given an individual sales goal, and this brought out the worst in some people. Certain people would make sure that they were assisting all guests, or go as far as taking customers that were being helped already and taking that sale, making it impossible for others to make their goals. The manager not only allowed this to continue to happen but seemed to encourage this type of behavior. Working the sales floor was a nightmare because you were just going to be run over by overly aggressive employees trying to exceed their goals. Then at the end of the month you would get a coaching session with your manager so they can tell you how terrible your numbers are. Your job performance is mainly based on your individual sales and if you aren't making your numbers then you will be scored very low. There is very little recognition for anything other than exceeding your personal sales goals. All in all, it was a very frustrating and stressful experience and I started looking elsewhere for employment. Fortunately, I was able to find something better. I don't recommend this company, mostly because of its policies regarding individual goals. Other Jones stores may be different, but I'm sure this is probably an issue for many of their stores.

The company should focus more on promoting team work.

Since the company buyout Upper Management have been promoting themselves and increasing their salaries

Current Employee - Production Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at The Jones Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most co-workers are great and helpful team players. Makes your daily job responsibilities bearable along a good team

Cons

Favoritism at it's finest, speaking for the suit division upper management has promoted themselves and those of their favorites, ridiculous raises given to themselves, poor leadership, managers and directors lack knowledge but are experts on passing work to their staff, employees are under appreciated unless you kiss management's feet, sales team love passing blame and moral is low. Early Friday dismissal are a joke as not everyone leaves at 3pm as should. Will probably be a thing of the past as VPs breathe, eat and live for their positions and do not value quality of life. They expect others to do the same but don't show it come review time. Management very sneaky on letting their staff know about other employee promotions. Usually find out along the grapevine instead of formally.

Learn to train your employees for growth based on their strengths and not on their personal interests. You will be guaranteed hardworking loyal employees in return. I guess enjoy your higher titles and raises given because the suit division will belly up in less than 2yrs.

Okay Internship

Former Employee - Planning Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Planning Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The Jones Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Big class of interns were able to be spread across different departments of the company.

Cons

Did not learn much and sat around staring at a computer screen often.

Give the interns more work to do and teach them.

Was an awesome place to work!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bristol, PA

I worked at The Jones Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities to learn, benefits were outstanding, great people

Cons

The company was just sold to an investment firm..... left their employ as I was concerned about outsourcing and down sizing. Sad to say as it was a wonderful place to work.

Golden parachutes should be illegal - Business is business but at what cost to your dedicated employees.

Awesome

Current Employee - Shipping Clerk  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in New York, NY

I have been working at The Jones Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you meet are wonderful. A lot of connections can be made if you want a career in fashion. Make sure you keep your eyes and ears open for that one opportunity.

Cons

Contrasting personalities and lack of attention to detail will frustrate you at times. With the buyout and radical changes taking place, it's impossible at times to know where you stand

Trading experience for wealth will hurt severely down the road. Also, too many chiefs and too little indians are not good financially and productively

Generally good experience

Former Employee - Design Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Design Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Jones Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous benefits, health care, vacation days

Cons

no on site HR management

Great training, great people to work with.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at The Jones Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A company that trully embraces associate training and development. Promotes from within, and there are a lot of opportunities for someone that is ambitious. Great group of people to work with, upbeat, happy people and I always felt that management had my back.

Cons

Many changes have occured in the last couple of years, maye too many changes. At least half the managers in my distict have been let go over the last couple of years, especially those that have been with the company long term. It has created a culture that has everyone afraid that they will loose their jobs. They have closed many stores, seven in my district alone.

Talk to the people who work in your stores. They are a wealth of information and experience and have a great deal to comtriute

Worked for The Jones Group? Contribute to the Community!