The Jones Group

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014

The Jones Group President, CEO, and Director Wes Card
Wes Card

Pros
  • Great work life balance- everyone leaves at 5pm on the dot and summer Fridays year around (in 10 reviews)

• Learning Center when you were able to attend, good benefits, time off and discounts (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is aloof and not as involved in operations as they should be (in 12 reviews)

• Not a healthy environment for anyone who values work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible Pay

Former Employee - Account Services Coordinator in Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - Account Services Coordinator in Bristol, PA

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Laid back work environment
    Lots of paid time off even for the low level positions, at least at the corporate office
    The tend to hirer management from within but there is a low percentage limit in which your salary can increase, even with the promotion
    Lots of office parties
    Offer various business related training courses in things including Microsoft Office
    Good for a first job right out of college to get some real world office experience and then move on

Cons

Pay is very low
    Turnover is very high, due to the low pay
    You will not have the highest level of intelligence among your co-workers, again, due to the low pay

Pay your employees more if you want to lower the very high turnover. During my last week, when I let the accounts that I worked with know that I was leaving, I had multiple accounts say something relatively close to "you have been great at your job, so I knew you would be leaving the company pretty soon." When your customers have those sorts of opinions of most of your employees, it is a pretty bad sign of the way your company is run.

Very Creative

I worked at The Jones Group

Pros

Found it to be a creative environment -- everyone had a lot of inspiration and ideas, and were tied closely into the fashion industry.

Cons

So many of the employees had been there for a long time, could have stifled new thinking.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They share the philosophy...work, life, balance

Cons

Long hours but minimal times

Good support from management

Long Hours

Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at The Jones Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Upward scope for job mobility.

Cons

Long hours and low pay

Overtime

Left me wanting more

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at The Jones Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount, generous benefits, generally relaxed atmosphere in Marketing Dept

Cons

Departments are very disconnected. Brands do not function as teams and as such you can expect to take direction from some one in another office you might have never even met in person. Ever since the buyout (by Sycamore) the company has made so many shifts and transitions. No telling where you or your brand will end up. Unsettling and impossible to have a positive outlook towards the future.

Be more transparent with changing company directives.

Always "restructuring"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly staff in store

Cons

Many upper level managers are really micro managers. Company will repeatedly let people go due to down sizing and restructuring only to hire more people to fill those openings weeks later. The product selection in soft lines over the past couple of years has driven loyal customers away.

Just bring in good product and the people will come. Store trying to reinvent the wheel of classic dressing,

Not a positive work environment.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

40% discount. Good benefits. Salary was decent compared to other retail companies in my area. The hours were reasonable. The workload given to me was manageable.

Cons

The store I worked in was lacking in team work. Most everyone there was only out for their own best interests, rather than what was best for the store and the company. Every employee was given an individual sales goal, and this brought out the worst in some people. Certain people would make sure that they were assisting all guests, or go as far as taking customers that were being helped already and taking that sale, making it impossible for others to make their goals. The manager not only allowed this to continue to happen but seemed to encourage this type of behavior. Working the sales floor was a nightmare because you were just going to be run over by overly aggressive employees trying to exceed their goals. Then at the end of the month you would get a coaching session with your manager so they can tell you how terrible your numbers are. Your job performance is mainly based on your individual sales and if you aren't making your numbers then you will be scored very low. There is very little recognition for anything other than exceeding your personal sales goals. All in all, it was a very frustrating and stressful experience and I started looking elsewhere for employment. Fortunately, I was able to find something better. I don't recommend this company, mostly because of its policies regarding individual goals. Other Jones stores may be different, but I'm sure this is probably an issue for many of their stores.

The company should focus more on promoting team work.

Great company!

Former Employee - Key Holder/Senior Sales Associate in Crossville, TN
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Senior Sales Associate in Crossville, TN

I worked at The Jones Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here straight out of college was a great transition for me. I worked with wonderful people and the company treated us all so well.

Cons

Shift changes on very short notice. That was always tough for me. My manager was also a bit difficult to talk with when it came to needing time off.

Be more careful with shift changes. Sometimes people can't drop their whole lives for a quick shift change.

Many, many changes in corporate structure.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable job with good salary and perks. Excellent 401k.
    Large company and there are some very good people working there.

Cons

Many corporate changes over the years. Directions of business changed often.

I had a great experience

Former Employee - SAP Security Administrative in Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - SAP Security Administrative in Bristol, PA

I worked at The Jones Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

good opportunities and worked with wonderful people

Cons

Good work environment. I didn't experience any problems or issues

I had a wonderful experience

The Jones Group Photos