The Jones Group

Updated January 22, 2015
3.1

The Jones Group President, CEO, and Director Wes Card
Wes Card

Pros
  • Great work life balance- everyone leaves at 5pm on the dot and summer Fridays year around (in 10 reviews)

• Learning Center when you were able to attend, good benefits, time off and discounts (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is aloof and not as involved in operations as they should be (in 12 reviews)

• Not a healthy environment for anyone who values work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Long Hours

Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at The Jones Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Upward scope for job mobility.

Cons

Long hours and low pay

Overtime

Not a positive work environment.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

40% discount. Good benefits. Salary was decent compared to other retail companies in my area. The hours were reasonable. The workload given to me was manageable.

Cons

The store I worked in was lacking in team work. Most everyone there was only out for their own best interests, rather than what was best for the store and the company. Every employee was given an individual sales goal, and this brought out the worst in some people. Certain people would make sure that they were assisting all guests, or go as far as taking customers that were being helped already and taking that sale, making it impossible for others to make their goals. The manager not only allowed this to continue to happen but seemed to encourage this type of behavior. Working the sales floor was a nightmare because you were just going to be run over by overly aggressive employees trying to exceed their goals. Then at the end of the month you would get a coaching session with your manager so they can tell you how terrible your numbers are. Your job performance is mainly based on your individual sales and if you aren't making your numbers then you will be scored very low. There is very little recognition for anything other than exceeding your personal sales goals. All in all, it was a very frustrating and stressful experience and I started looking elsewhere for employment. Fortunately, I was able to find something better. I don't recommend this company, mostly because of its policies regarding individual goals. Other Jones stores may be different, but I'm sure this is probably an issue for many of their stores.

The company should focus more on promoting team work.

Great company!

Former Employee - Key Holder/Senior Sales Associate in Crossville, TN
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Senior Sales Associate in Crossville, TN

I worked at The Jones Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working here straight out of college was a great transition for me. I worked with wonderful people and the company treated us all so well.

Cons

Shift changes on very short notice. That was always tough for me. My manager was also a bit difficult to talk with when it came to needing time off.

Be more careful with shift changes. Sometimes people can't drop their whole lives for a quick shift change.

Many, many changes in corporate structure.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable job with good salary and perks. Excellent 401k.
    Large company and there are some very good people working there.

Cons

Many corporate changes over the years. Directions of business changed often.

I had a great experience

Former Employee - SAP Security Administrative in Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - SAP Security Administrative in Bristol, PA

I worked at The Jones Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

good opportunities and worked with wonderful people

Cons

Good work environment. I didn't experience any problems or issues

I had a wonderful experience

Was an awesome place to work!

Former Employee - Manager in Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bristol, PA

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn, benefits were outstanding, great people

Cons

The company was just sold to an investment firm..... left their employ as I was concerned about outsourcing and down sizing. Sad to say as it was a wonderful place to work.

Golden parachutes should be illegal - Business is business but at what cost to your dedicated employees.

Awesome

Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in New York, NY

I have been working at The Jones Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you meet are wonderful. A lot of connections can be made if you want a career in fashion. Make sure you keep your eyes and ears open for that one opportunity.

Cons

Contrasting personalities and lack of attention to detail will frustrate you at times. With the buyout and radical changes taking place, it's impossible at times to know where you stand

Trading experience for wealth will hurt severely down the road. Also, too many chiefs and too little indians are not good financially and productively

Generally good experience

Former Employee - Design Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Design Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generous benefits, health care, vacation days

Cons

no on site HR management

Since the company buyout Upper Management have been promoting themselves and increasing their salaries

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at The Jones Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most co-workers are great and helpful team players. Makes your daily job responsibilities bearable along a good team

Cons

Favoritism at it's finest, speaking for the suit division upper management has promoted themselves and those of their favorites, ridiculous raises given to themselves, poor leadership, managers and directors lack knowledge but are experts on passing work to their staff, employees are under appreciated unless you kiss management's feet, sales team love passing blame and moral is low. Early Friday dismissal are a joke as not everyone leaves at 3pm as should. Will probably be a thing of the past as VPs breathe, eat and live for their positions and do not value quality of life. They expect others to do the same but don't show it come review time. Management very sneaky on letting their staff know about other employee promotions. Usually find out along the grapevine instead of formally.

Learn to train your employees for growth based on their strengths and not on their personal interests. You will be guaranteed hardworking loyal employees in return. I guess enjoy your higher titles and raises given because the suit division will belly up in less than 2yrs.

Okay Internship

Former Employee - Planning Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Planning Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The Jones Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Big class of interns were able to be spread across different departments of the company.

Cons

Did not learn much and sat around staring at a computer screen often.

Give the interns more work to do and teach them.

The Jones Group Photos