The Lasik Vision Institute

Ben Cook

1. Ophthalmic Tech

Current Employee - Ophthalmic Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Ophthalmic Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in LASIK is fun.

Cons

Poor hours. Only part time. No paid time off, no sick days, no holidays

2. ophthalmic surgery tech

Current Employee - Tech in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Tech in DFW, TX

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been blessed to work with an exceptional team who continues to grow together

Cons

very sales oriented a bit fast paced at times

Advice to Management

Be more precise in small details and specifications, make the team all work together and train in different aspects to help as a whole

3. management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

they pay is finally competitive

Cons

they do not promote form within

Poor Company don

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

This is a horrible place to work and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Cons

I was hired for a full time position that didn't exist. After two weeks of random part time work I quit and did not get paid. I keep getting the run around that my check was mailed until finally payroll admitted to not mailing it for a week...

Advice to Management

You are running a very raggedy unorganized and unprofessional business.

Fired & pregnate with twins!

Former Employee - Clinic Manager in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Clinic Manager in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Drs & surgeons overqualified for business model

Cons

Unethical business goals, Volume is main concern sell sell sell more eyes...Underqualified upper management, Prices varies according to center goals, Expense reports take 3-4 months for a return of your own expense. Medical non candidates are not medically eligible patients for best outcome. I left on vacation & returned to no job & no insurance. Very disheartened since I am pregnate with twins!

Advice to Management

Communicate with staff, set realistic expectations, Listen to Drs needs & expectations, Stop pressuring same day sales for a lifetime of regreats! Don't sell lifetime guarantee if you plan of not honoring

Potential, but Lacking Professional Upper Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute (More than 5 years)

Pros

Experience, if you can make it through your first 90 days.

Cons

False expectations, poor management, no structure, untrained staff to include MD's and OD's. In experienced HR. Wrong people in wrong positions.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old and bring in new. When you bring them in, let them do their job.

8. Don't make the mistake I did.

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. You will get so much smoke blown up your tail about how much money you'll make and what "freedom" you'll enjoy "owning your business"

Cons

Run. It's a scheme company with enough illegal and disgusting practices to put the top management behind bars. You basically are a used car salesman throwing any number you can out to people to prevent them from walking and their paying for shoddy lasik in very unsanitary and non-compliant conditions.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing and close up shop. You know everything you're doing is wrong.

9. Ophthalmic Technician

Pros

Great team of colleagues and doctors.

Cons

Hours can be very long.

Micromanaged Manager

Current Employee - Center Manager
    Current Employee - Center Manager

Pros

Lots of earning potential. Freedom to run your business with in reason. The more you hit goals and stay off the radar the less they pick at you. Oh, and did I meantion money?

Cons

Always under extreme pressure to preform. You could hit 160% to goal and instead of getting major cudos, awards, ect. You get nothing but your paycheck. No praise, no, awards. Always "why not do better". The staff is hard to keep. The hours are odd and erratic. No work/life balance. No maternity or paternity leave pay. No PTO unless you're a manager.

Advice to Management

Praise your managers who are paying your paycheck. Create a way to be respectful of their time. Offer weekends or at least one weekend a month off. Split days off are awful. If every corporate exec to split their days off and I bet their tunes would change really fast. Even the corporate office staff complains about how they are treated publicly (ie Facebook/Twitter) and they are not sales based. That says something.

There is always something new to learn.

Current Employee - Technician and Patient Counselor
    Current Employee - Technician and Patient Counselor

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a great learning environment which makes it possible to be adequately cross-trained in most aspects of the business. Awesome co-workers have a lot of knowledge and really support a team. The pay is great for part-time work!

Cons

Our center had been without management for at least 4 month so within that time frame the center was growing and we were very short-staffed. The entire staff took on more full-time roles; very difficult for the part-timers with multiple jobs and school. Also, surgery schedules tend to change at the very last minute due to travel arrangements which is troublesome for both patients and staff.

Advice to Management

Keep communication strong between the center and upper management. Build consistency in daily operations.

RSS Feed </> Embed