The Lasik Vision Institute

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014
2.2

Massimo Musa

Can be tough sometimes, but overall a nice place to work

Current Employee - Opthalmic Technician
    Current Employee - Opthalmic Technician

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is decent, I made less money and did more work at my prior job. My particular team, manager, and center is AWESOME, and I believe that makes all the difference. The hours are convenient for my life for the most part and the bonuses (when you meet your monthly goal) are great. There is a lot of opportunity to travel once you are well cross-trained, and the company covers everything. I've learned a lot about sales, customer service, teamwork, excellent vs. poor leadership, and so much more while working here. They are opening new centers left and right which only provides more opportunities for employees. It's not a difficult nor demanding job to do, and can be enjoyable once you know what you're doing.

Cons

The surgery days can be very long and exhausting and are 97% on the weekends. Even when it's not surgery day, we work EVERY Saturday, this sucks because you don't get much of a weekend. Most centers have their hours cut back currently so there aren't very many people getting hired on for full time with benefits (in my position at least). Corporate is very "numbers" driven and can be slow to respond to the needs of the center. Like every corporation they don't seem to care much for the patients, this is up to the staff in the centers to be patient advocates. In the sales process there are some dishonest approaches that are taught and this bothers me. But you choose what type of person you want to be and you can use those tools or choose not to. In the busy season it can sometimes be overwhelming, especially if you don't have a full staff. It can become repetitive and that can burn you out quickly.

I would say try and care a little more about people and their concerns. Be more efficient and be aware of the character of your staff members, some are just rude and ineffective.

The worst job Ive ever had

Former Employee - Technician  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Technician in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro I can honestly say is my pay check to pay my bills and put food on the table for my family.

Cons

Regional manger, center manager, corporate. Over worked and under paid. Was flat out told to my face "the only way you will ever move up in The Lasik Vision Institute is if you are friends with someone above you. And its the truth. My 15 year career meant nothing compared to the the over paid waitresses/ car rental salesman/ clothing store cashiers that were hired because their friends with people in corporate. Most times the doctors didn't approve a patient due to some medical reason (such as a bleeding tumour in the eye), The Lasik Vision Institute managers would tell the doctors to merely leave out that detail of the exam. I was expected to work many hours well over my 40 a week with no reimbursement for all the after hours emergency calls from patients in pain, bleeding, severe infection. And if I refused to answer the calls, I was reprimanded. I have witnessed on multiple occasions filthy and non sanitized operating room practices. Poor maintenance of all the operating room equipment due to inexperience, lack of educating and non compliance with certain standards required for proper function of the equipment . My complaints and concerns were ignored when I spoke to human resources. Many , many times I expressed my concerns. This is the worst company I have ever worked for. This is the worst patient care I have ever been involved in. I'm surprised this company has not been sued out of this world for multiple malpractice instances.

Care more about your company and what it is supposed to represent. Because its quite clear to the world that all you care about are your enormous pay checks and the enormous pay checks of your under qualified pizza waitress friends that you are putting in charge of patient wellness.

Toxic environment/company

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck every two weeks. Outside of that, you will dread coming to work every day. I wish I had something more positive to say.

Cons

Where do I even begin? You will get NO training or support from anyone (even from those whom their ONLY job is to train you). You're virtually thrown into a perpetually understaffed disaster (no location is immune) and expected to make miracles happen overnight. In the event you don't pull the rabbit out of your hat immediately, you can look forward to being micromanaged in the most awe-inspiring, passive-aggressive manor that most reality tv shows can't even rival. Like to learn in the stressful, soul-crushing, heat-of-the-moment? Good. That's how it'll happen. Corporate, with the exception of 4-5 people, is the most incomprehensibly rude and inept group of people to ever work in this industry. Prepare yourself for constant turnover thanks to the pitiful wages, lack of steady hours and mudslide of stress to endure. You'll have to literally "net" people off the street and turn them into "ophthalmic techs" responsible for the vision of patients, overnight. Don't like flipping burgers? No problem! You can do eye surgery in no time! You'll have to tell your family and friends that you can no longer see them because you'll be on-call 24/7 and reprimanded should you dare desire a day off. You're at the mercy of a staff that doesn't care, a corporate office that only cares about money and doctors that don't want to work or treat you with any semblance of respect. Did I also mention the fun fact that you'll get viewed as a used car salesman by patients or be constantly forced to "work the phones" like a telemarketer? Hope you like being yelled at, called names and hung up on. Out of the 45-55 hours per week you spend at the office (you're salaried, don't get excited) you'll spend entire days badgering people on their phone lines. I can't even go into the amount you'll spend apologizing for surgeries gone awry or eye complications as a result of incompetency not even at the hands of yourself, mind you. I can't get my head around how this company can even stay operational. In short, if you want the WORST experience of your working career, come on in!

Take your pride out of the equation and go re-learn everything you think you know about running a business or productive communication.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you have a passion for sales you will be ok.

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute

Pros

Decent work/life balance. Pay is okay but could be better.

Cons

Sales pressure can be too intense at times.

If it wasn't for my local team.. I wouldn't recommend this company.

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time

Pros

I have a great team at my office location! We communicate effectively with each other and work hard to ensure a professional, friendly and sales driven environment.

Cons

Lack of support from corporate. They only do not celebrate the successes- only focus on the negatives. They have unrealistic sales expectations and have little awareness of the critical value of comprehensive sales training for new hires. Instead, they spend hours on manager conference calls which do little to boost revenue and business.Another major factor is hours and job security. My hours are constantly being cut back. I have had to work a second job in order to make ends meet. Advice to new hires: you should have a back up job if you want to pay your rent!

Listen to suggestions from your local offices. We understand our clientele and care about being successful and profitable, yet we need support from senior management. Better training programs and sales tutorials need to be implemented as opposed to monotonous phone calls/emails.

Interesting place to work...

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall steady hours and decent pay. The office/working environment is friendly, even with the chaotic rush of surgery days.

Cons

High pressure sales and surgery schedules, local management

Listen to the front line, we know a lot more than you might believe. Center management can do more to empower the employees to a successful end.

Patient Coordinator

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

- nice bonus
    - good benefits eye/dental/health

Cons

- sales driven
    - inexperienced managers

Hire employees who know the eye industry vs those who are purely sales

Run Away!!!

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Money is pretty good and there is plenty of opportunity to make more.

Cons

The pressure is crazy. Having several (5 or more) supervisors micro and over-managing center managers only leads to stress and anxiety. Several conference calls per week in order to "increase sales efficacy" takes away from actually running the business and does not succeed in motivating. Center managers are basically always on call, repeat emails from different supervisors and patients reaching out. This job sucks the life out of you.

Putting pressure on employees who are actually performing well and never pointing out the positives is a horrible way to lead. Upper management needs several lessons on how to lead and motivate effectively.

Great compensation, highly demanding schedule

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

excellent opportunity to earn $$$ and help patients. access to upper management by phone at all times to discuss issues/concerns

Cons

sales pros know, you've got to be able to handle change and roll with the ups and downs in order to make it as a center manager/sales manager, but LVI expects you to roll with it quite frequently in order to make the numbers. not my best sales experience...very demanding schedule, center managers are essentially on call at all times with regards to patient care/follow up.

in my humble opinion, they are opening centers too quickly to manage, support, and staff the ones that are currently open

Not like it used to be

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute

Pros

Good pay and benifits, good potential to move up, flexible, willing to listen to concerns, multiple locations, get to help people, new technology

Cons

The change in the economy has caused a reduction in avaliable disposable income avaliable for patients to spend and as a result, volume has droped substantialy

Spend more time developing and mentoring center personell, be willing to get hands dirty at the locations, get more feedback about business from centers

Worked for The Lasik Vision Institute? Contribute to the Community!