The Lasik Vision Institute

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Massimo Musa

If you have a passion for sales you will be ok.

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute

ProsDecent work/life balance. Pay is okay but could be better.

ConsSales pressure can be too intense at times.

Toxic environment/company

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time

ProsYou get a paycheck every two weeks. Outside of that, you will dread coming to work every day. I wish I had something more positive to say.

ConsWhere do I even begin? You will get NO training or support from anyone (even from those whom their ONLY job is to train you). You're virtually thrown into a perpetually understaffed disaster (no location is immune) and expected to make miracles happen overnight. In the event you don't pull the rabbit out of your hat immediately, you can look forward to being micromanaged in the most awe-inspiring, passive-aggressive manor that most reality tv shows can't even rival. Like to learn in the stressful, soul-crushing, heat-of-the-moment? Good. That's how it'll happen. Corporate, with the exception of 4-5 people, is the most incomprehensibly rude and inept group of people to ever work in this industry. Prepare yourself for constant turnover thanks to the pitiful wages, lack of steady hours and mudslide of stress to endure. You'll have to literally "net" people off the street and turn them into "ophthalmic techs" responsible for the vision of patients, overnight. Don't like flipping burgers? No problem! You can do eye surgery in no time! You'll have to tell your family and friends that you can no longer see them because you'll be on-call 24/7 and reprimanded should you dare desire a day off. You're at the mercy of a staff that doesn't care, a corporate office that only cares about money and doctors that don't want to work or treat you with any semblance of respect. Did I also mention the fun fact that you'll get viewed as a used car salesman by patients or be constantly forced to "work the phones" like a telemarketer? Hope you like being yelled at, called names and hung up on. Out of the 45-55 hours per week you spend at the office (you're salaried, don't get excited) you'll spend entire days badgering people on their phone lines. I can't even go into the amount you'll spend apologizing for surgeries gone awry or eye complications as a result of incompetency not even at the hands of yourself, mind you. I can't get my head around how this company can even stay operational. In short, if you want the WORST experience of your working career, come on in!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your pride out of the equation and go re-learn everything you think you know about running a business or productive communication.

If it wasn't for my local team.. I wouldn't recommend this company.

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time

ProsI have a great team at my office location! We communicate effectively with each other and work hard to ensure a professional, friendly and sales driven environment.

ConsLack of support from corporate. They only do not celebrate the successes- only focus on the negatives. They have unrealistic sales expectations and have little awareness of the critical value of comprehensive sales training for new hires. Instead, they spend hours on manager conference calls which do little to boost revenue and business.Another major factor is hours and job security. My hours are constantly being cut back. I have had to work a second job in order to make ends meet. Advice to new hires: you should have a back up job if you want to pay your rent!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to suggestions from your local offices. We understand our clientele and care about being successful and profitable, yet we need support from senior management. Better training programs and sales tutorials need to be implemented as opposed to monotonous phone calls/emails.

Interesting place to work...

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall steady hours and decent pay. The office/working environment is friendly, even with the chaotic rush of surgery days.

ConsHigh pressure sales and surgery schedules, local management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the front line, we know a lot more than you might believe. Center management can do more to empower the employees to a successful end.

Patient Coordinator

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros- nice bonus
- good benefits eye/dental/health

Cons- sales driven
- inexperienced managers

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees who know the eye industry vs those who are purely sales

Run Away!!!

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for less than a year

ProsMoney is pretty good and there is plenty of opportunity to make more.

ConsThe pressure is crazy. Having several (5 or more) supervisors micro and over-managing center managers only leads to stress and anxiety. Several conference calls per week in order to "increase sales efficacy" takes away from actually running the business and does not succeed in motivating. Center managers are basically always on call, repeat emails from different supervisors and patients reaching out. This job sucks the life out of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPutting pressure on employees who are actually performing well and never pointing out the positives is a horrible way to lead. Upper management needs several lessons on how to lead and motivate effectively.

Great compensation, highly demanding schedule

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for less than a year

Prosexcellent opportunity to earn $$$ and help patients. access to upper management by phone at all times to discuss issues/concerns

Conssales pros know, you've got to be able to handle change and roll with the ups and downs in order to make it as a center manager/sales manager, but LVI expects you to roll with it quite frequently in order to make the numbers. not my best sales experience...very demanding schedule, center managers are essentially on call at all times with regards to patient care/follow up.

Advice to Senior Managementin my humble opinion, they are opening centers too quickly to manage, support, and staff the ones that are currently open

Not like it used to be

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute

ProsGood pay and benifits, good potential to move up, flexible, willing to listen to concerns, multiple locations, get to help people, new technology

ConsThe change in the economy has caused a reduction in avaliable disposable income avaliable for patients to spend and as a result, volume has droped substantialy

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time developing and mentoring center personell, be willing to get hands dirty at the locations, get more feedback about business from centers

This place BLOWS!!!!

I have been working at The Lasik Vision Institute full-time for less than a year

ProsThe only thing is money is nice, but they work you excessively.

ConsUnorganized, sales only driven, substandard equipment, lack of education and background in the medical field by center managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people based in a medical background, not just sales.

Center Director

I worked at The Lasik Vision Institute

ProsHelping people see one person at a time

ConsManagement, They were very unorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementHire MBA graduates. Stop the practice of hiring from within as these people have technical skills and not people skills

Worked for The Lasik Vision Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Lasik Vision Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Lasik Vision Institute CEO Massimo Musa. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by The Lasik Vision Institute employees.