The Learning House

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
2.6

David T. Richardson

A great team that delivers something meaningful

I have been working at The Learning House

Pros

I’ve been with Learning House for over 2 years now, and I can honestly say that this has been one of the greatest surprises of my career. What I love the most about TLH is that regardless of whether someone currently works here or used to work here, they are passionate about both the company and what we offer to our students. It’s no secret that there has been a tremendous amount of change at this company over the past 5 years, and whenever something changes this much this fast it’s sure to leave some disappointed. By the same token, because of how we’ve changed we can now offer our services to more colleges and universities who reach more students, which is an awesome feeling.
    I see a commitment to growing our individuals and to promoting from within wherever possible. The upside to this is that TLH is a great place to work if you are talented, ambitious, have integrity, and a passion to make a difference. If you see a position that has not yet been filled, commit yourself to filling it and define those responsibilities. I’ve seen many, many promotions that grow out of self-identification and initiative. The challenge to this is that in many cases we promote individuals to management who have never before managed. If I were to identify one area where we can improve, it would be that we can do a better job preparing and mentoring new managers. This feedback is peppered throughout the other comments left on this site, and I think it’s a good suggestion that we should tackle.
    My happiness at TLH is not just about getting to do a job that I think is fun. I get to work with incredible colleagues who make me better, who constantly push me to improve. I work with a world-class group of employees who are committed to something gigantic, and who are not afraid to deliver. Sometimes we try something that fails, but we pick ourselves up and keep going because failure just means that we’re not done yet. I admire the courage of my peers who constantly push for something better, and the collaboration between teams to support one another as we each move through significant change and transition. Not everything is perfect, but it never will be and that’s healthy. The important part is to keep going, and to know that temporary challenges provide our biggest opportunity to impact change.
    For someone considering employment at TLH, I'd tell them to make sure they are committed to personal excellence, that they care about higher education, and that they are ready to work hard. You will be held to high standards, and you can expect the same from your colleagues.

Cons

As I mentioned above, training new managers is something that TLH can do a better job organizing. I suspect that this is something that we will see implemented in 2015.

It is a giant hamster wheel

I worked at The Learning House

Pros

The people at learning house are great. That is the best reason to work there. Being at 4th street does not hurt either.

Cons

Learning house continues to make the same mistakes over and over again. Each department comes up with a 'new' strategy every few months that has already been implemented at some point. It did not work the first time, but for some reason it is not going to fail this time.

Try sharing information with your departments instead of hoarding it in your operational meetings.

The Learning House is an amazing place to grow professionally.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Learning House provides employees with an atmosphere conducive to growing professionally, as well as personally, especially with the incentives given to employees, who are returning to or are in school. The environment is fast paced, but allows for experience that you might not gain in a larger company.

Cons

Employee only benefits are very reasonable, but family coverage can be expensive. There are normal growing pains because of the company's rate of growth, but management is doing a great job to managing this.

Good people to work with.

Current Employee - Student Success Coach in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Student Success Coach in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. People work & play together. There's no drama.

There are also generally opportunities to advance. Some people do get stuck in the same role for years, but I've seen a lot of people promoted and even seen a number of new positions created with the intention of allowing current employees to grow.

Cons

Specific to the Student Success Department: there is a lot of data entry. It can be mind-numbing at times. The company is looking for ways to decrease the amount of data entry, but they've been looking for a long time and they still haven't really made a dent in it. This might change soon, but it hasn't changed yet.

The company has the bare-minimum policy regarding maternity leave. It quite literally wouldn't pass muster in Afghanistan. Please consider extending real maternity benefits to help our working women make it work.

HORRIBLE place to work

Current Employee - Contact Agent in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Contact Agent in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet awesome coworkers...but in the Enrollment department no one ever stays because of management. Very high turnover rate. Very stressful department.

Cons

The worst place I've EVER worked in my life. I was in the Enrollment department in the Louisville office one of the first ones hired. Trained about 20 coworkers, never promoted and the turn over rate is SUPER high! Management is completely unprofessional and super sneaky. You clearly have to be in the "group" to even get recognized for a promotion. Worked there for almost 3 years and have a Bachelors degree and never promoted. I also trained others who came in without a degree and was promoted within a year. Don't waste your time at all. Left this August best decision I've ever made! Enrollment is all about numbers and making money! They clearly don't care about there employees.

You have awesome hard working people working for you. Stop manipulate the young employees making them believe they will be promoted and they never are. Also the pay is super crappy to deal with the high turnover rates, always moving desk, horrible leadership, unprofessionalism in the Louisville Enrollment department. I advise to get new management ASAP or the Enrollment will never be successful which will make the company unsuccessful since enrollment brings the money into the company. Get new Directors who really understand online enrollment and will completely stop the drama within the department such as gossip. Very childish and you should be ashamed.

Going to Hell in a handbasket

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dress code is relaxed; benefits don't suck too bad.

Cons

Employees aren't valued - was a year of random firings in 2013 just to reduce the number of employees that were rapidly hired the year before. Upper management doesn't seem to know how to run a company since key areas - the areas where the business relies on - are not empowered to do what they need to.

It's obvious it's all about bringing in the revenue to sell the company and make a profit for the current owners - at least give the employees the respect they deserve for keeping it from sinking.

Totally corrupt and sexist leadership

I worked at The Learning House full-time

Pros

You won't know you're being terminated until the day of.

Cons

I would highly discourage anyone from working at The Learning House. I confided in management and HR about sexual discrimination that occurred within my department (male counterparts were deemed "qualified" for jobs/promotions that were not extended to females possessing the same credentials/experience/academic background). I was promised a promotion within a certain timeframe yet when the time came, despite having met all of the metrics outlined for promotion, the qualifications for the position were reworded and the time to move up within the company was extended. After expressing my concerns to my direct supervisor, I was promptly terminated without cause or reason, while my male counterparts were promoted and my concerns went unaddressed. If you are not part of the cool kids club (or a man), prepare for to be fired without warning and to listen to HR to tell you"we don't have to give you a reason for your termination in the state of Kentucky". The severance package I was given could not compensate for the total waste of time and energy it was to attempt to establish a career within that organization. My advice is to get everything in writing and trust no one. Furthermore, seek out other former employees and listen to some of their horror stories.

Get some integrity and stop covering up flawed, discriminatory practices within your corporate environment. 360 reviews as also needed.

If you liked middle school, you'll love working here.

Former Employee - Curriculum in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Curriculum in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Learning House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sometimes they give you pizza for lunch.

Cons

In one year I had 3 managers and the company had two CFOs. My 3rd manager said to me with a straight face, "if you dress differently you might get more respect. " (I was following dress code.) People in mnagement are really into being in management, but care little how well they are managing. Forget raises and make sure you are being paid what you were told when hired - they scammed me: I was paid a little under a thousand less than originally told.

Looks better from the outside

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New company attitude; friendly staff

Cons

Dept Mgrs have no idea how to lead; salary is far lower than expectations;

Give staff a chance, it's not all about you

Work hard play hard

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Location
    -----On Fourth Steet Live, in the middle of the downtown action

- Invests in their employees
    -----Social Committee
    -----Service Committee
    -----Wellness Committee

- Knows how to have fun
    -----Two company parties every year
    -----Summer field trips to Churchill Downs
    -----Halloween costumes like nowhere else
    -----Thanksgiving Potlucks with more food than you could possibly eat
    -----Bull riding at company meetings

- Opportunities for advancement
    -----created over 50 brand new positions in the past two years

Cons

- Fast moving (though I like that about this company)

Keep on keeping on.