The Learning Lab Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
CEO

Pros
  • The working environment is awesome, colleagues are nice and the organizational structure is flat and the senior managers are very approachable (in 6 reviews)

• Good pay even for interns and fresh graduates (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Relief teaching extremely haphazard with teachers being called upon last minute (in 5 reviews)

• This leads to an extremely high turnover rate as employees eventually get fed up and leave (in 5 reviews)

Intern

I worked at The Learning Lab

Pros

Good pay compared to other student intern jobs in Singapore.
    Nice working environment, everything is well designed and clean
    Most students are courteous and fun to be around.
    Managers are welcoming and approachable.
    Young workforce.

Cons

Front desk work and managing relationship with parents can be stressful. Expect to get screamed at alot.
    As it is in the service industry, expect to work on either Saturday or Sunday.

Advice to Management

Get more feedback on the ground and listen to the people on the ground more.

2. Intern

I worked at The Learning Lab

Pros

High salary, flexible work schedule

Cons

Work you dry as much as they can

Advice to Management

Great job raking in the cash

3. Full-tilt all the time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novena (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novena (Singapore)

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Full corporate benefits ever since they were bought over by a new investor. Discounts at telcos, free GP visits at panel doctors etc.

Workforce is largely sophisticated and worldly, with an intellectual bent (for the English department) or downright wacky (for branding).

Unlike a regular tuition centre that can coast along for years on reputation and a library of previous materials, TLL is continually coming up with new projects which mean employees can take ownership of a project from conceptualisation to launch, with input from other colleagues and departments.

Cons

Need to watch the bottom line at all times. Again, this became more obvious after the sale to a new investor. This doesn't mean penny-pinching, but employees are expected to continually come up with new ideas and products.

Many employees will have more than one role - management and teaching, or curriculum and teaching. Sometimes there isn't enough time to carry out both roles to our own high standards.

Advice to Management

As non-teaching staff, I did not have much trouble with management. Teaching staff may feel differently. I've seen many of the younger teachers leave very quickly.

5. Great work environment

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

Great working environment, can be fast paced, great for those who are passionate about teaching and those who love kids.

Cons

The fast growth creates a fast paced environment which is exciting but may not be supported by similar growth in resources, which can be challenging for employees.

Advice to Management

Cant advise as management or management style has probably changed since I worked at learning lab. Its a relatively young company, lots to learn and grow.

6. A dynamic and fun environment!

Current Employee - Specialist Teaching Associate in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very dynamic and fun environment because most of the staff are quite young. Colleagues are great, because we have common interests, and everyone is generally nice, maybe because this is a school after all. Work itself can be quite challenging because management tries to “stretch” everyone. Hmmm… can be a con too, I guess, depending… But I think there’s a lot of space and opportunity for learning and personal growth.

Cons

Sometimes things get thrown at you and you are expected to perform. And working OT is quite normal, although can claim off in lieu, subject to approval.

Advice to Management

To have more external training for teachers in addition to the current training program.

A place full of lovely, warm people with a passion for what they do

Current Employee - Full Time Employee In Operations
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee In Operations

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I've worked in a previous organisation before joining TLL and I must say one of the best things about this company is that there is hardly any politics, at least in my department. So, you don't have to worry about silly things like people backstabbing you.
    - You can learn a lot from the people around you - they are patient in coaching you, guiding you up the curve, and the more senior members of staff, be it teachers or management, are generally friendly and helpful.
    - A lot of people here have interesting life experiences, and seek adventure. They always have some cool life advice to share, some exciting anecdotes to offer, and quite a few teachers I interact with are intelligent, passionate, hardworking, and genuinely care for their kids. It's quite inspiring to be around people like that.
    - The work environment is always fast moving, making it far from mundane.
    - Pay and staff benefits are decent, and more measures are currently being introduced to increase staff welfare.
    - Work / life balance - work hours are quite flexible, and you can easily switch your off days in Operations. The flexible working hours also allows you time to do your own thing - run errands in the mornings, take some classes outside of work etc.

Cons

- Lack of transparency with management. However, this is gradually improving and the management team have shown that they are taking feedback into consideration and are making changes in the frequency of communication.
    - Communication channel between teachers and management is not the most robust. It can be further improved.

Advice to Management

To work on motivating staff - perhaps some incentives and encouragement, no matter how small, can go a long way in letting someone see that they are appreciated.
    - Clearer explanation to staff about career track - right now, some do not clearly see where they can go or what job progression entails.
    - More communication between teachers and HR/management so that everyone is on the same page.

8. rytuuui gtuyiu

I have been working at The Learning Lab

Pros

yery good company for all

Cons

no cons at all good

9. From a new joiner's perspective...

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joined The Learning Lab a couple of months ago. Colleagues are professional with a deep sense of respect for one another. People carry themselves well and speak well. There is a strong sense of pride in what we do. Colleagues are warm and you feel at ease as new joiner. Very positive and cheerful HR team that eased my transition into the new job.

Cons

Working hours longer than the norm. Also need to work one of the weekends.

Advice to Management

Shorten the working hours to 40 hrs instead?

Would have stayed if management was better

Former Employee - Specialist Teaching Associate
    Former Employee - Specialist Teaching Associate

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, high salary, well-maintained facilities. I had time to pursue my own interests.

Senior teachers are friendly and willing to help, they also provide you with intensive training and mentors to guide you for your first 6 months. You also come in with a batch, which eventually becomes your group of friends you hang out with.

Lovely students, though those at United Square tend to be rowdier

Cons

Had to work on one day of the weekend, which are the busiest days. Sometimes, I worked for 6-8 hours straight without a break. I suffered from gastric because of that.

Marking load is crazy. Once you procrastinate marking, it just piles up. I found myself marking even on my days off because there was so much to clear. This was one of the reasons why I left.

Level 3 management was extremely hard to work with. They forced teachers to take classes when the subject profile wasn't even within the teacher's portfolio (eg. STA with profile p3-p6 english had to cover kindergarten classes when they had completely no training), overloaded them even though the teacher already had 12 classes (average is 10-12 per week). They were also extremely rude if you reject them even with valid reasons.

Difficult to take leave. It was practically on a first-come-first-serve basis, especially during holidays. I had to apply a few months in advance and could not even get it sometimes. I realised they tended to be biased towards some teachers too.

Lack of career advancement. STAs (usually fresh grads) could only progress to Senior Teachers. Your salary would then depend on headcount per class and thus may drop.

Clique-ish. I felt as though I was in a girls' school. Teachers tend to hang out in cliques and if your batch gets sent to different branches, you will be left alone.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on providing welfare for your teachers, rather than pumping so much money into new branches when there's already a lack of teachers and over-stretching the existing ones. Maybe this will lead to a lower turnover rate (average 6 months).

When the parents ask for something, follow through with what you promised, instead of paying mere lip service.

You work for what you get paid for

Current Employee - Specialist Teaching Associate in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some stus can be a joy to teach and colleagues are friendly and helpful. Timing is flexible as well, e.g. when you leave late the previous day, you can come in later the next. The pay is high as well considering the fact that there are fresh grads with no training.

Cons

Can be really tiring if you have difficult stus to teach and on top of it classes to cover when other teachers suddenly take MC. Also tend to have no time to finish prepping for the class when there's so much marking to do.

Advice to Management

Hire more teachers so your current teachers won't be overworked

RSS Feed </> Embed