The Learning Lab

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Learning Lab

ProsHigh salary, flexible work schedule

ConsWork you dry as much as they can

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job raking in the cash

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Learning Lab

ProsGood pay compared to other student intern jobs in Singapore.
Nice working environment, everything is well designed and clean
Most students are courteous and fun to be around.
Managers are welcoming and approachable.
Young workforce.

ConsFront desk work and managing relationship with parents can be stressful. Expect to get screamed at alot.
As it is in the service industry, expect to work on either Saturday or Sunday.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more feedback on the ground and listen to the people on the ground more.

Great fellow teachers, awesome curriculum - no growth though.

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great passionate fellow teachers
- "Flexible" working hours when you hit your two year mark
- Perfect curriculum - these lovely people work so hard
- High starting pay, compatible to Banking/ Sales for fresh grads
- Mixture of people in crowd

Cons- Company feels rather divided
- Management that does not provide support for teachers
- Client-centric, management forgets that they are an EDUCATION industry, concerned only with churning money - recent spades of expanding too fast while not having enough staff has made the center a little contorted in terms of staff management.
- Center does NOT close for holidays, closes on PH

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Have clearer job definition. Be partial and tactful to your staff - people want growth, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

TLL used to be a better place - there's a reason why turn over rate is high. And there are people who want to stay, consider helping to groom, instead of being singularly focused on profits, and profits only - this is an industry in Education, how would you want your Educators themselves to be like? I cannot reemphasize more.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Remuneration counts

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for more than a year

ProsThe winner here is the pay. Yes, the kids are great, the colleagues are great, the parents are ... hmmm... so-so? How big a winner?
For strong admits, the pay starts at $3,700, ramping up to $4,000 post a 5 month probation (they call it an incubation period here). They have raised it again to $4,200 and included a performance incentive of 2 months. For just 13 months, zero complaints here :)

For generalists coming out of school, I think the only places that can match this pay scale are the banks or jobs in the sales line. Throw in a fun jobscope, serious job security and really liking who you deal with day in, day out - well, this has to be my winner.

My goal is to bring my bank account to a far more respectable level. Getting there :) unless that trip to Prague comes earlier than planned, ... hmmm :)

ConsI agree with previous post that parents here can be quite demanding, but I'm slowly learning to manage them; and continue to focus on giving the best to the kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeaching - and teaching really well - soaks up time. The 3-day work week is a great initiative! Continue to innovate teacher centric schemes that will make this place even better.

Happy and fun ride so far!

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros19 months and counting, and I've enjoyed every step of the way. It's been a really fun ride, with ample growth opportunities as a person and as a professional. The working environment is very collegial, and we get to share and effect our ideas across a flat and incredbly fast growing organization. Several colleagues are also given great flexibility and resources with their masters' and training options.

Each week, you can see the passion of the teachers in meetings and training, and there is a palpable sense of pride. Funny, because in considering other career options, I counterintuitively found this is a great place for a young person to be - you deal with kids, which is a joy (well, most times :) ) You have to learn fast about the wider world, because you have to teach it and it's a crazily ambitious curriculum! My parents who had reservations about me being in education are now actually glad I am here - the remuneration and exposure.

ConsProbably the toughest thing you'll face here are the parents who expect a lot because of the branding, but I think learning to deal with their concerns is an important thing you need to know in any business or industry.

Bittersweet

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent pay
Get to see how they charge so much money and market themselves
Food provided during meetings
Strong curriculum department

ConsLate working hours
Relief teaching extremely haphazard with teachers being called upon last minute
Pressured to work on off days at times

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair in distributing load of relief teaching and get rid of teachers who keep taking MC.

Fun working with students.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at The Learning Lab as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Good remuneration package
- Great food in the pantry (these exotic snacks. mm)
- Great fun planning lessons using the resources provided at the ERU (English curriculum)
- Great fun working with students

Cons- During peak periods (school hols), quite alot of teachers go on breaks, the others have to cover classes + taken on additional classes opened coz students take breaks and go for makeup classes

In agreement with the other reviews

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for less than a year

ProsThe higher than average starting pay, especially for fresh graduates. However, money is not everything and cannot be the only factor that you should count on to retain staff in the long run.

ConsLike some of the other reviews mentioned, there is little help for new staff. No staff welfare (catered dinner once a week? I'd gladly trade that for a warmer working environment) nor staff bonding/get-to-know-you exercises. Work schedule is not the best as you have to work till 9.30pm several days a week and on a weekend (Saturday or Sunday). This leaves little time for social life as most of our peers have jobs with regular working hours.

Application for leave is also subject to approval and you have to submit your application months in advance if you want to even consider taking leave during certain periods of the year.

Most current staff view this job as something to do in the interim while saving up for grad school, marriage, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more concerned about staff morale and welfare. There is too much disconnect between the different departments. Some of the older staff (i.e. people who have been working at TLL for several years now) are rude to newer staff. The current managerial system is also unnecessarily bureaucratic and hierarchical. Too cold, too unfriendly -- this attitude also runs in the classrooms' design. Very business-like and terse.

Glad to have followed my heart!

Teaching Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for more than a year

ProsI was a bit apprehensive at first. I had a choice between Deutsche and here, and while my parents were keen on the reputed German bank, I followed my heart.
I could sense the passion and the realness of the teachers I met here as well as the managers.
When I came on, my doubts were fully washed away!
These guys were on top of their game. We work very well together!
There is a sincere effort to help us grow and to help us do a better job.
What I perhaps admire most is that when there are issues and we bring them up, the guys on top listen, and I sense that they do try.
The greatest joy is the kids!
I won't go into cliches, but they all these really quite fun!

ConsThere are kinks of course. Some parents can be really challenging, and I think the Singapore mums set the world record in the attention they put to detail.

Never a dull moment!

Management Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for less than a year

Pros-As an MA, I enjoy being involved in both teaching and management work. The kids are a good break from being at my desk all day, and just seeing the little ones make my day! I also get to put my Business Management degree to good use so this job is a good fit for me where I get to marry both my passions.
-Work is neither repetitive nor routine. In my short 3 month stint here, I was exposed to different departments and got a glimpse of Ops, Finance and am now helping in TLL Junior.
-We get to work closely with our managers as well. We are able to voice our issues and concerns to managers directly, and it’s nice to know we are being mentored and groomed to take on more responsibilities and grow as a leader in the future.

Cons-It would be better to streamline our classes, and fit all in one day so it wouldn’t disrupt our work flow. I believe the management is looking at that now, which is good news

Worked for The Learning Lab? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Learning Lab reviews and ratings. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by The Learning Lab employees.