The Lockton Companies

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau

John L. Lumelleau

Pros:
  • "Good hours, people, work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Office culture is great, no micromanaging (at least from what I have experienced)"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "This all creates a poor work / life balance and anything from a 40-45 hour week sometimes even more is the norm for many"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low salary compared to competitors and other insurance companies"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid Company that cares.

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time

ProsGood hours, people, work life balance.

ConsLack of training, intense work. Salary is on the lower end.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better to attract more talent

Great company who appreciates creativity and intelligence.

I have been working at The Lockton Companies

ProsGreat work environment that supports a healthy work-life balance.

ConsLack of communication between management

Great Company to work for

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time

ProsWithin the IT group you have a 40 hour work week with the occassional weekend when code releases require it. Periodic beer Fridays. Lots of community activity.

Good documentation and procedures in place for IT projects. They are always working on improving the process. It feels like a good stable team environment. In addition, they strive on maintaining the systems at or ahead of industry standards so the networking, hardware, and software are for the most part top of the line.

ConsWithin the IT group, many people have been with the company for years so professional growth is limited after a time. Certain teams do not work well together and some of the communication needs work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for more efficiency across the company. There is way to much manual work (both in terms of paper and processes) that could be streamlined or eliminated.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a Good Place To Work

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Prosnice surroundings; some very nice people

ConsSweat Shop - had to get out due to no work/life balance; a lot of politics, most of it bad; very cliquish- like your worst high school nightmare. Extreme favortism- everyone has a different deal (like vacations, flex hours, etc) Big disparity in salaries for same job

Advice to Senior ManagementStart running it like a large company and stop pitting people against each other. You also need to be more transparent and stop hiding information. Make people feel part of the company instead of looking down at them.

Must be extremely hard working and love fast paced environments to make it here

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTeam environment (mostly at the AM/AA level), good 401k, good (and getting better) internal resources (word processing services, office services, educational opportunities etc), onsite gym, covered parking, Highly committed to community involvement. Truly believes in delivering superior service and doing the right thing for both their markets and clients.

Cons"High Level" associates who haven't come up the ranks unfortunately do not seem to know or understand what it takes to service accounts (from both a technical and operational perspective) which can be a burden to their fellow associates who have to pick up their slack. Staffing levels not adequate given that most accounts are being marketed annually, although it is admittedly difficult to find the right talent at certain levels. Commission compensation to individual producers seems excessive compared to base salaries of those managing their accounts. Internal certificate management system seems archaic.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire "High Level" Senior Vice Presidents and Account Executives to have an understanding of internal systems, policies and procedures, and continue to improve internal educational opportunities for all. This can only happen if you adequately staff so that accounts can be handled to allow for some breathing room. License AMs. Prequalify clients so as not to waste resources on accounts better suited for a smaller agency.

It's a good old boy club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat 401(k)
Community involved
Hearts are in the right place for people in need.

ConsWomen are second class citizens. Tenure is not rewarded. Compensation after hire does not keep up with competition. Raises are very low except for the "in" crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair. Don't just take care of your friends and family. The popular kids get everything. Others have to work harder to pull the load.

Lots of oppurtunity

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHardworking team, dynamic, open to suggestions on workflow and input on how to improve systems. Business is good and lots of accounts available.

ConsExpect long hours and travel, never say no to clients no matter the request...means workload can grow exponentially, quickly

Prepare to put on a fake facade at all times!

Communications Specialist (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Beer Fridays (not really a perk; who wants to get drunk with coworkers? that spells trouble)
-Pretty office setting

Cons-Office gossip (can be severely detrimental)
-Low compensation (wages are not competitive)
-Lockton Company calling itself "the best place to work" is transparent marketing-- very off-putting

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who are not afraid to be frank and have blunt discussions about issues, not a manager who listen to gossip as gospel, who is too afraid of confrontation, and who is passive aggressive.

Licensing Micro Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time

ProsThe company as a whole is great. The charity work Lockton does is fantastic.

ConsDO NOT WORK IN THE LICENSING DEPARTMENT. The licensing department is the only thing that gives Lockton a bad name. The manager can not be trusted and will micromanage to the point that the entire department is unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsource the Licensing Division.

Quality Career Choice

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros401k Matching at 100% up to 6% base

ConsSome Managers are hit or miss

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep changing/growing this has served them well by the flexibility driven from the top down.

Worked for The Lockton Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Lockton Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Lockton Companies CEO John L. Lumelleau. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by The Lockton Companies employees.