The Lockton Companies

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau

John L. Lumelleau

Pros:
  • "Good hours, people, work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Office culture is great, no micromanaging (at least from what I have experienced)"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "This all creates a poor work / life balance and anything from a 40-45 hour week sometimes even more is the norm for many"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low salary compared to competitors and other insurance companies"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a Good Place To Work

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Prosnice surroundings; some very nice people

ConsSweat Shop - had to get out due to no work/life balance; a lot of politics, most of it bad; very cliquish- like your worst high school nightmare. Extreme favortism- everyone has a different deal (like vacations, flex hours, etc) Big disparity in salaries for same job

Advice to Senior ManagementStart running it like a large company and stop pitting people against each other. You also need to be more transparent and stop hiding information. Make people feel part of the company instead of looking down at them.

none

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time

Prosalcohol, drinking etc. etc. etc.

Conscheap salary, cheap, very cheap

Stay away from this horrible company

Account Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are not to many pros with this company. You will meet a few good people but they are far and few inbetween.

ConsThere main focus is on the diva producers. When the producers do not produce, they reduce staff by cutting the service managers who retain clients. They will lure you away from top notched competitors with promises of greener pastures but will never deliver. Be careful of the gossipers as there are many here and they will stab you in the back the first chance they get.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the whole management team.

Contractors treated like outsiders with Company

I have been working at The Lockton Companies as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSadly I cannot think of a pro to working as a contractor with this company.

ConsUnsympathetic working environment for contractors. No integration or even introductions to other employees makes for a lone man on the island effect. Company sponsored outings where contractors were not invited or even acknowledged.

Advice to Senior ManagementContractors are employees too.

Lockton - the best place to work? I don't think so...at least in the LA office

Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Lockton Companies

ProsLarge company with a lot of people that provides a "REST AND RELAXATION" period for employees one day a month.

ConsHorrible management in the LA office. Senior management places people with no people and management skills in positions of leadership. Proclaims a motto of "our most important asset is our people" - what a farce... Most unit managers in the LA office are so disengaged from their underlings.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart seriously taking the advise and comments of the support staff's review of their respective managers, and determine if that person should be allowed to be a manager.

Prepare to put on a fake facade at all times!

Communications Specialist (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Beer Fridays (not really a perk; who wants to get drunk with coworkers? that spells trouble)
-Pretty office setting

Cons-Office gossip (can be severely detrimental)
-Low compensation (wages are not competitive)
-Lockton Company calling itself "the best place to work" is transparent marketing-- very off-putting

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who are not afraid to be frank and have blunt discussions about issues, not a manager who listen to gossip as gospel, who is too afraid of confrontation, and who is passive aggressive.

Entrepreneurial Company = Inconsistent Practices at Local Level, Culture Varies by Office

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you fit in, you're golden. Competitive pay and decent bonus opportunity. Excellent support and resources provided by the associates in Kansas City (headquarters).

ConsIf you don't fit in, you'll be out the door in no time. Entrepreneurial sounds great if you're one of the owners. If not, you'll be treated like a grunt. High turnover both voluntarily and involuntarily.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement formal policies and procedures, training and best practices. Seriously reconsider micromanaging capable senior-level associates.

Good to great associates, inept management

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time

ProsMost if not all of the client-facing associates work hard to deliver a consistent, quality service to their clients, resulting in a professional environment where one can take pride in one's work, and the work of one's colleagues. Internal resources are many, although it can take some time to first identify them and then figure out how to gain access. It's a suitable environment for mid- to senior-level associates who have the technical knowledge and skill set to work autonomously and take the lead where no one else step up. If you are entry- or junior-level, you're better off starting your career at a competitor where you're much more likely to receive formal training.

ConsThose who are further removed from producing and retaining revenue haven't the first clue about what it takes to get one's job done here, resulting in a lot of failures when it comes to hiring the right people for the job and having realistic expectations as to job functions and performance. They will talk all day long about their in-house training, the fun social outings they have, how it's like one big family, etc...all to distract the associates from lack of real opportunities that would earn them promotions, salary increases and bonuses. This somewhat works for the younger demographic, not for others who have families to support.

The worst thing about management here is they will say they are 'managing expectations' of the associates, just a phrase used to excuse the outright lying they do whenever they think it necessary. Worse than that is their expectation that supervisors repeat the same lies to their team, nevermind what that does for everyone's morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour business isn't run by the COOs and their support staff, it's run by your producers and client-facing associates. Get rid of the administrative people at the local level and absorb those functions at HQ.

Stagnant and old fashioned company with a heavy frat boy vibe in upper management

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time

ProsLots of service level people to push out the work but they have very little autonomy or say in what gets done or when it gets done. consequently, some customers may get put off if a bigwig wants to push a different project.

Consexecutives are out of touch and hostile to change. inappropriate behavior was not unusual and if you didn't go along with the "joke" you would get shunned.

Advice to Senior Managementfewer sexual harassment jokes that aren't jokes. get rid of the stupid dress code rules, if you're hiring adults they should know how to dress themselves already. spend more time on employee development.

Ok

I have been working at The Lockton Companies as a contractor

ProsLarge Stable Company
Lots of activities

ConsLack of diversity in management and staff

Worked for The Lockton Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Lockton Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Lockton Companies CEO John L. Lumelleau. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by The Lockton Companies employees.