The MENTOR Network

The MENTOR Network Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella

Bruce Nardella

Pros:
  • "Great mission - the company does good work when it comes to serving people with disabilities"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great people to work with and there is opportunity to grow"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant staff turnover due to no raises which means the care quality could suffer"
    in 13 reviews
  • "No raises to reflect the cost of living"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great growth potential!

AR Coordinator (Current Employee)
North Andover, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with and there is opportunity to grow. The duties involving your job keep you busy all day long each day! Comprehensive pay and 401K is offered.

ConsTerrible health benefits and no merit increase (for now). Depending on your role, the job might seem repetitive and stale.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease offer some more incentive to try and be the best employee you can be.

Rewarding work, but something was off with the local company.

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than a year

ProsThe individuals, their guardians and support team in the community are the best reason to commit yourself to this work. I worked with amazing people and they are the reason that this job is rewarding.

ConsI worked at REM Nevada and something was just off about the place. There was a lack of communication. In hindsight, I think possibly the company felt it best to keep employees in the dark so that they would have leverage if they needed it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest.

It has helped me more then words can say

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Judah, IN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI has helped me to grow it to a better person

ConsLot of work to be done and needs to add more people to manager team

Advice to Senior Managementwork hard try new things gain new skills everyday!

Finance

I worked at The MENTOR Network

ProsI learned a lot which I was able to transfer my skills to my current job

Consthe pay was way below market rate and increases were even smaller.

Advice to Senior Managementif you want to keep your employees happy and have them stay longer, reward them well

I learned a lot

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities to learn the field as a young person out of college
Got to network and find a better paying position

ConsBenefits
No raises
Expectations for entry level staff are impossible

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in staff so the clients have more consistency.

A health and human service company that has completely lost touch...a sinking ship...

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEasily able to obtain growth opportunities...if you get in with the right people...but the glass ceiling is very low.

Cons1. Very low morale.
2. No support from management.
3. Lack of consistency with policies.
4. Very, very low pay with NO raises...employees unable to keep up with rising rate of inflation.
5. No recognition for a job well done...just keep spreading yourself thin until burnout.
6. Profit driven with disregard to how employees are treated.
7. No balance between work life and personal life - They expect you to eat, sleep, and breathe work - even during your time off.
8. Unfair to no reimbursement for use of personal property with high expectations to use personal property (vehicles, gas, vehicle insurance, cell phones, working off the clock, etc.)
9. Expensive benefits with very low wages make them difficult to afford.
10. Large gap between wages of management all the way down to direct staff
11. New hires getting paid more than employees already with the company for many years.
12. Understaffed with difficulty finding new hires to fill shifts due to all of the above...

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and acknowledge your employees. Understand that they are the reason why you continue to bring in a profit. Pay them competitively, reimburse them fairly, and respect a balance between personal and work time. Realize that there is a reason why morale is incredibly low and positions are difficult to hire due to all of the above. Continue at this rate, and you won't thrive for much longer...How you treat your employees is directly reflective of the success of your company. As of current, you are heading in the completely wrong direction, a sinking ship.

Has steadily gone down hill with no improvement in sight

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis place of employment provides flexible work schedule

Cons- No pay raises in over 9 years
- Extreme Micro management
- Create policies without looking at the trickle down effect - results in more policies in a continuous cycle
- Bonuses are not individually based nor are they office based but state based- so no matter how hard you work or your office works if someone somewhere else in that state is slacking you're penalized
- Management lacks hands on experience to know what the employees deal with daily
- Mileage reimbursement is minimal - increased by .02 cents during my employment - close to .20 less than the federal rate of .55 a mile
- Workers feel under appreciated and over-worked - management acts like they are interested in the employees but when issues are brought up they are minimized or the
- Issue at hand is never addressed, rather a "policy" is made that still doesn't address the issue at hand but creates more issues
- Health insurance is terrible - premiums are cheaper post tax if sought through a broker - the premiums are set with the company only providing approx. $200 per paycheck no matter what plan is chosen so that they can then pocket the money for each employee that chooses to seek coverage outside of MENTOR - this means a fattening of the wallet for the executives
- Behind times in technological world, expecting employees to be able to function while on the road with old flip phones that have no internet capability
- Paperwork is very redundant, frequently you are entering the same information on multiple forms, these need to be condensed and issue has been brought to management but no change in the 12+ years there

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress all the issues that are Cons, these are all pertinent to getting and keeping quality employees rather than constantly retraining and re-hiring new employees. Get in touch with the employees on the ground and trust their judgment. If you hope to retain quality employees then open up your checkbook and provide better pay, mileage reimbursement, and benefits. Upgrade technology so that the employees can be more efficient and not tied to a desk when expected to also be out in the field. Cease the micro management, it results in constant frustration and decreased moral of employees always having to second guess what they are doing. Think a policy through and examine the trickle down results prior to implementing a poor ineffective policy.

Id give them a -10 if I could. HORRIBLE management, no long term plan

Licensed Clinician (Former Employee)
Wilmington, NC

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe clinicians they have are generally very educated. All of my co workers were dedicated and wanted what was best for the consumer. Everyone was invested in helping each other and they weren't afraid to go the extra mile.

ConsHORRIBLE HORRIBLE management. In the fall of 2013 they downsized, got rid of all of the clinical supervisors, and it all became about the numbers. NONE of their supervisors are licensed clinicians, and it puts the clinicians at the ground level at a horrible liability if &%$^ hits the fan.

They demand outrageous hours, then demand more, and nitpick everything (ie, worried about grammar on an assessment instead of a legitimate diagnosis.)

The upper management has NO long term plan, and are hanging by the seat of their pants. They change their minds every month and completely overhaul processes and documents. They arent growing and changing with the MCO demands, but getting smaller and more narrowly focused, which isnt working.

Instead of supporting, your lead clinicians are the marketing, supervisors, medical billing, advertising, everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave clinical people in management, and realize people have a life outside of work.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fast paced and hard work

Raleigh, NC

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time

ProsFront-line staff are good people and dedicated to helping families.

ConsStaff spend too much time in meetings and discussing productivity then providing the services

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to streamline processes, reduce required meetings while increasing staff appreciation activities for each layer of the company.

Company Needs a lot of growth

Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee)
Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at The MENTOR Network part-time for less than a year

Prosgreat second job. If you need to get a few extra hours on the weekend or at night then this is the perfect job for you

Consovernight hours on weekend. no social life. You have to work overnight and you have to stay up. the clients are dangerous and scary.

Advice to Senior Managementbe professional

Worked for The MENTOR Network? Contribute to the Community!

The MENTOR Network Videos

The MENTOR Network – Why Work for Us?

The MENTOR Network is one of shared values and resources. We are an organization offering those who work with us and those we serve the benefits of a strong national structure. Tying The Network together is a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The MENTOR Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The MENTOR Network CEO Bruce Nardella . All 123 reviews posted anonymously by The MENTOR Network employees.