The MENTOR Network

The MENTOR Network Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella

Bruce Nardella

Pros:
  • "Great mission - the company does good work when it comes to serving people with disabilities"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great people to work with and there is opportunity to grow"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant staff turnover due to no raises which means the care quality could suffer"
    in 13 reviews
  • "No raises to reflect the cost of living"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

"Better off working somewhere else"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoy the flexibility that the job allows

ConsThere is a lot.....here I go:
    1). Benefits are the worst that I have ever encountered in my career. They are so bad that I had to get them outside of the agency. Basically this shows that the company is not invested in their employees. They are so cheap to even invest in better cost of health benefits.
    2). No raises to reflect the cost of living.
    3). Mileage reimbursement rate is a joke. It does not reflect the cost of the rise in gas prices.
    4). No growth here.....if you are looking to grow, this is not the place.
    5). It's a numbers game (about quantity and not quality). They want the numbers to go up, but not investing in services to help the challenges with clients.
    6). Staff have been overworked and still is. Management has not addressed this issue in months...it also seems like for years to me.
    7). There is no appreciation not only from management, but also from the foster parents. The foster parents make it appear that you owe them something (not all of them, but half of them make you feel that way). They don't necessarily understand what the workers go through. There are things we have to do due to upper management, but they get mad when you tell them this and the staff does not make the decision. I understand that in the field you won't always feel appreciated, but at the same time, if it's a constant issue that occurs frequently, then it's a major issue.
    8). Regular supervision has been an issue for months.

If you want to deal with these cons that I included in here, then you can work at MENTOR, but I do not highly recommend it. It will save you a whole lot of trouble and hassle at the end by not working at this agency!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important to invest in your employees, so they won't have to feel like the company does not care about their hard work. People have moved on to other opportunities because of the lack of care that the management has for their staff.

Great growth potential!

AR Coordinator (Current Employee)
    North Andover, MA

ProsGreat people to work with and there is opportunity to grow. The duties involving your job keep you busy all day long each day! Comprehensive pay and 401K is offered.

ConsTerrible health benefits and no merit increase (for now). Depending on your role, the job might seem repetitive and stale.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease offer some more incentive to try and be the best employee you can be.

Mentor executives should be ashamed of themselves!!!

ProsThere are no longer any pros.

ConsExecutives only care about the money and it is all they talk about. Never any talk or trainings that benefit their consumers. You can work at Mentor for 30 years and another person newly hired in doing the same job will make the same money. There is no reward for loyalty. No raises in 7 years!!!! Extremely unorganized!!!! The company policies conveniently change to fit their personal needs. Employees are treated with no respect. You are expected to work 12 to 18 hour days in some positions and paid a flat salary for all your hard work. Caseloads continue to get higher and higher so they can give their executives raises and bonuses and the he'll with the employees and consumers. Benefits are terrible and continue to get worse. Not sure how they have managed to stay in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Reward your good employees!!! Show at least a little bit of caring towards your consumers and employees. Stop increasing caseloads so your employees can give the consumers the care they deserve and are entitled to. You need to raise the bar on what you determine is acceptable care. There is a HUGE disconnect between the worker bees and the executives and it is so obvious with all your unreasonable expectations. STOP working your salaried employees to death.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough times for DSP's.

DSP (Current Employee)

ProsHave good ideas for the clients and Programs. The Co seems to be trying harder this year. Hopefully it will improve more.

ConsNot much chance for growth. Loyal workers don't get treated any better, Seems like rules aren't enforced. Some DSP's do little and others do more, yet new hires seem to make more money or close to loyal workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan. Communicate with Employees weekly so we are informed. Don't just look at us like a body count. WE have a life outside of Mentor.

It has helped me more then words can say

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Judah, IN

ProsI has helped me to grow it to a better person

ConsLot of work to be done and needs to add more people to manager team

Advice to Senior Managementwork hard try new things gain new skills everyday!

Finance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI learned a lot which I was able to transfer my skills to my current job

Consthe pay was way below market rate and increases were even smaller.

Advice to Senior Managementif you want to keep your employees happy and have them stay longer, reward them well

Rewarding work, but something was off with the local company.

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe individuals, their guardians and support team in the community are the best reason to commit yourself to this work. I worked with amazing people and they are the reason that this job is rewarding.

ConsI worked at REM Nevada and something was just off about the place. There was a lack of communication. In hindsight, I think possibly the company felt it best to keep employees in the dark so that they would have leverage if they needed it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest.

I learned a lot

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsOpportunities to learn the field as a young person out of college
    Got to network and find a better paying position

ConsBenefits
    No raises
    Expectations for entry level staff are impossible

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in staff so the clients have more consistency.

Has steadily gone down hill with no improvement in sight

ProsThis place of employment provides flexible work schedule

Cons- No pay raises in over 9 years
    - Extreme Micro management
    - Create policies without looking at the trickle down effect - results in more policies in a continuous cycle
    - Bonuses are not individually based nor are they office based but state based- so no matter how hard you work or your office works if someone somewhere else in that state is slacking you're penalized
    - Management lacks hands on experience to know what the employees deal with daily
    - Mileage reimbursement is minimal - increased by .02 cents during my employment - close to .20 less than the federal rate of .55 a mile
    - Workers feel under appreciated and over-worked - management acts like they are interested in the employees but when issues are brought up they are minimized or the
    - Issue at hand is never addressed, rather a "policy" is made that still doesn't address the issue at hand but creates more issues
    - Health insurance is terrible - premiums are cheaper post tax if sought through a broker - the premiums are set with the company only providing approx. $200 per paycheck no matter what plan is chosen so that they can then pocket the money for each employee that chooses to seek coverage outside of MENTOR - this means a fattening of the wallet for the executives
    - Behind times in technological world, expecting employees to be able to function while on the road with old flip phones that have no internet capability
    - Paperwork is very redundant, frequently you are entering the same information on multiple forms, these need to be condensed and issue has been brought to management but no change in the 12+ years there

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress all the issues that are Cons, these are all pertinent to getting and keeping quality employees rather than constantly retraining and re-hiring new employees. Get in touch with the employees on the ground and trust their judgment. If you hope to retain quality employees then open up your checkbook and provide better pay, mileage reimbursement, and benefits. Upgrade technology so that the employees can be more efficient and not tied to a desk when expected to also be out in the field. Cease the micro management, it results in constant frustration and decreased moral of employees always having to second guess what they are doing. Think a policy through and examine the trickle down results prior to implementing a poor ineffective policy.

A health and human service company that has completely lost touch...a sinking ship...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasily able to obtain growth opportunities...if you get in with the right people...but the glass ceiling is very low.

Cons1. Very low morale.
    2. No support from management.
    3. Lack of consistency with policies.
    4. Very, very low pay with NO raises...employees unable to keep up with rising rate of inflation.
    5. No recognition for a job well done...just keep spreading yourself thin until burnout.
    6. Profit driven with disregard to how employees are treated.
    7. No balance between work life and personal life - They expect you to eat, sleep, and breathe work - even during your time off.
    8. Unfair to no reimbursement for use of personal property with high expectations to use personal property (vehicles, gas, vehicle insurance, cell phones, working off the clock, etc.)
    9. Expensive benefits with very low wages make them difficult to afford.
    10. Large gap between wages of management all the way down to direct staff
    11. New hires getting paid more than employees already with the company for many years.
    12. Understaffed with difficulty finding new hires to fill shifts due to all of the above...

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and acknowledge your employees. Understand that they are the reason why you continue to bring in a profit. Pay them competitively, reimburse them fairly, and respect a balance between personal and work time. Realize that there is a reason why morale is incredibly low and positions are difficult to hire due to all of the above. Continue at this rate, and you won't thrive for much longer...How you treat your employees is directly reflective of the success of your company. As of current, you are heading in the completely wrong direction, a sinking ship.

Worked for The MENTOR Network? Contribute to the Community!

The MENTOR Network Videos

The MENTOR Network – Why Work for Us?

The MENTOR Network is one of shared values and resources. We are an organization offering those who work with us and those we serve the benefits of a strong national structure. Tying The Network together is a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The MENTOR Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The MENTOR Network CEO Bruce Nardella . All 136 reviews posted anonymously by The MENTOR Network employees.