The MENTOR Network

Updated December 16, 2014
2.0

The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella
Bruce Nardella

Pros
  • Great mission - the company does good work when it comes to serving people with disabilities (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with and there is opportunity to grow (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are paying new hires more than people working there for years with no raises (in 13 reviews)

• No raises to reflect the cost of living (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

good

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pros , great work done here. Rewarding, strong chance you will move up if your working hard and showing up on time it really isn't a difficult job.

Cons

tough hours , holidays must be worked as well.

work with your staff, follow your pds.

It was very different from what I was use to but they train you in all areas of your duties.

Current Employee - DSP in Beloit, WI
    Current Employee - DSP in Beloit, WI

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The scheduling is very convenient and they give you much training as possible.

Cons

No manager in the home I think is part of the mishaps and if they are not ging to be stationed in the home at least visit it for 2 hours a day.

They need raises and managers in the homes more. people I think would work better if authority was around more.

Great Mission, Lackluster Work Environment

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mission of the company is something that you can really get behind, lots of smart people working in the Boston office, 9-5 schedule, great CEO

Cons

Work was not very captivating, felt like operations were disorganized and disjointed at times. Lot's of reports that people in the field are paid virtually nothing, which makes the very removed office setting much less gratifying

it was okay while it lasted wouldn't do it again...

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the clients and hours given

Cons

Employees are mouthy and rude management didn't handle issues within the work environment

Needs better training and pay

Easy to stay, but get nowhere.

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Lomita, CA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Lomita, CA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

it is easy to become complacent in this position because you know this is good for job security. It is very hard for people to get fired from this company. There are so many rude, uneducated people working for Mentor in Los Angeles areas that do things that should normally get them fired, but doesn't.

Cons

Companies max pay for a DSP is $12.50/hour. No raises even with good reviews. I have been working for the same company in several areas. In all of 6 years we got two bonuses at Christmas time. The second year i was employed , our xmas bonus was $300, but they took out $150 in taxes and the fifth year we got a bonus of $150, but $75 went to taxes. They say the company is doing great, and they are constantly opening up more day programs and group homes, but there is no talk for raises, bonuses or incentives.

Great clients, HORRIBLE, under-educated supervisors!

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Ripley, WV
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Ripley, WV

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The clients tend to be great! Overtime pay checks are great.

Cons

The hiring process took 2 months!! Then it was 21 days after that before I got paid! I asked for full time, but ended up working 70hrs/wk! I bid on a dayshift position through a typed letter, was given the shift only to have it taken a few wks later so the bosses daughter could have the better shift. Supervisors or PD's often have NO experience with clients and have no business in the field at times! Pay is average, but you will not be appreciated by anyone in this company other than your client. This was by far the worst job I've ever worked which is very sad because I loved my client. His health and well being are definitely affected by the lack of competency in his local Mentor Network office. They let staff steal food from the client, smoke in his apartment, sleep on midnight shifts, and a number of other inappropriate things. I was not allowed to give meds because they hadn't given the med pass test yet due to a shortage in nurses, yet I had to check client's sugar twice daily, blood pressure, heart rate, and put Lotrimin on his feet. I was not trained on any of this. Luckily nothing went wrong! There were no gloves, cleaning supplies, or hand sanitizer in the home. So when I checked his sugar with a finger poke, if blood got on my hands, so be it. The used needles were simply kept in a pop or water bottle until myself or another employee trashes them. I cannot stress enough STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY if you have any kind of morals or values.

Train employees! My training consisted of the trainer leaving the room and the DVDs/VHS getting fast forwarded to the end. Trainer then gave us correct answers to mark on tests. CPR training was a complete joke! Make sure PD's are knowledgeable in the field! DRUG TESTING!!! Supply client's home with gloves and hand sanitizer for workers! Check up on your PD's and lead PD's once in awhile because they were a complete disaster in the office I worked through. The DSP turn over rate was insane! Most all left due to the PD's not being competent or simply not caring at all.

expensive health insurance-unaffordable

Current Employee - DSP in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - DSP in Duluth, MN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network part-time (more than an year)

Pros

steady job is really the only benefit-no personal growth because the main office does not even want to talk to or deal with you-me and another employee have been waiting for a year plus for a simple HR answer AND ITS PROBABLY NEVER COMING.

Cons

No personal growth because the main office does not even want to talk to or deal with you-me and another employee have been waiting for a year plus for a simple HR answer AND ITS PROBABLY NEVER COMING.

CARE ABOUT EMPLOYEES

Average Co. With not much comunication.

I have been working at The MENTOR Network

Pros

Helping the clients live a better life.

Cons

Co lacks comunication, and rarely gives raises. Seems they hire anybody just to have staff. Not much praise or appreciation. Rules bend for certain workers, and some work, some coast by. Not a good atmosphere to work in. You get treated like your not smart.

Comunicate and ask workers what can help better the co. Treat all farely . Work on morel.

In-home family therapist

I have been working at The MENTOR Network

Pros

There is a flexible schedule

Cons

The demanding hours, and required check-offs

better mileage reimbursement

Therapeutic Mentoring

Current Employee - Therapeutic Mentor in Dedham, MA
    Current Employee - Therapeutic Mentor in Dedham, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working with clients, build scheduling skills, emotional support from staff, learn more people skills. great way to learn more about psychology

Cons

Low Pay, no set schedule, a lot of driving.

N/A they are doing a great job, find more funding so the people lower could get a little more money

The MENTOR Network Response

Oct 27, 2014Talent Manager

Thank you for this feedback. So great to read of your enthusiasm for working with your families. We know there are challenges in covering larger distances to meet with your families, and we're ... More

The MENTOR Network Photos