The MENTOR Network

The MENTOR Network Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella

Bruce Nardella

Pros:
  • "Great mission - the company does good work when it comes to serving people with disabilities"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great people to work with and there is opportunity to grow"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "They are paying new hires more than people working there for years with no raises"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Never get a 'thank you' or 'job well done' for the hard work we do as employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

could be so much better

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than 3 years

Prosits not a complicated job

ConsManagement does not respect employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBe available to employees and be more respectful to employees.

The Worst Job I've ever had!

Group Home Manager (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe clients are great. I miss working with them and helping them achieve their goals.

ConsWhere do I begin? They had me doing the job of a social worker (designing comprehensive behavior management, case management plans), a nursing assistant (counting, tracking, reporting, and dispensing medications), accountant (tracking and reporting the funds for each client and the household), EMT (performing medical procedures and first aid that should have been done in a SKILLED nursing facility by persons who are trained and certified), Case Manager (completing complex reports and presenting at various state agencies) and the list goes on and on (babysitter, parent, enabler, maid, psychologist, gardener, etc.) - - all without the TRAINING, LICENSURE, or PAY! I was literally on call 24/7 and would get a 3:00am call to take a client to the hospital (because REM didn't want to pay for an ambulance). I was berated by parents and guardians without provocation and consistently, without ANY support from management. I was sent home in tears on more occasions that I would like to admit, all with the knowledge of management. They did nothing. My first day on the job as a group home manager, my staff called in sick and I had to work almost 24 hours without sleep. I wish that was the only time, but it wasn't. If someone called in sick, it was up to me to cover the shift. I was EXHAUSTED! They finally hired some flex staff, which we thought we would be able to use when we needed them (when someone calls in sick), but were told we could only use them for employees who are scheduled for vacation, in advance. Trust me, we could cover the shift of someone going on vacation (with notice) but really NEEDED some help when staff either called in sick, or just didn't bother to show up. They also had a 24 hour hot line (WHAT A JOKE) that we were supposed to use when there was any overnight issues. It didn't take us long to realize that we wouldn't find any help there, either. When someone would answer, they would simply tell you how to handle the situation (as if we didn't already know that much) and go back to bed. I would have given anything to see them dragged out of bed at 3:00 am to handle a medical emergency, fight, behavior! And on the rare occasions I was home with my family, I would either get called in, or have to deal with my clients or staff calling me every 30 minutes. Management is either clueless (which I don't believe as I was quite frank in telling them the issues) or they just don't care. Their emphasis is on profit. period. They have a clique and anyone who is not part of that clique is an outsider and treated like a dog. I was unfortunate enough to witness a girl with no experience, had never worked in a group home or with clients, get a promotion over several well qualified, experienced managers, simply because she worked in the office with the managers (as a RECEPTIONIST). It was sickening. For the amount of work and unbearable responsibility, the pay was awful. I cant believe this place is still in business. By the way, they make a TON of money off of these poor clients. They should really give some of it to the people who are doing the actual work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to ALL of your staff, not just your cliques. Spend some REAL time in the homes, with the clients. When doing an investigation, take into consideration the client's abilities (some of them lie on a consistent basis) and don't just take their word for everything. Do a thorough investigation. Treat your employees like you would want to be treated (and how you treat the clients)... with respect. Stop treating direct support staff like warm bodies. They are real people, with feelings and needs, who take care of the people who bring in the money for YOUR paychecks. Do NOT talk about your staff behind their backs. What you do in the office, does get back to us. We are not stupid or oblivious to your behavior. Thoroughly train your staff. Help your managers when they need help. Offer flex personnel for on-call jobs (when someone called in sick), Support your managers and encourage time off. Don't allow clients or staff co contact managers on their days off, and stand up for your staff when parents and other attack them.

Loved my residents, didn't love the management.

I worked at The MENTOR Network part-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a fun relaxed environment and felt like I was spending the day at home with friends or family. The staff were all fun to work with and when you found people you worked well with it could be an enjoyable experience. I loved the time I got to spend with the residents of the home watching movies, playing games, playing outside, and going out into the community.

ConsThere was no support from the management. They were looking at the money and not the safety of the residents or employees. We were not supported with problems going on in the home with out residents but instead given quick fixes to problems that would not go away. The management spent very little time in the home so they did not know what the problems their staff was facing. There was a lack of communication often and things would be changed each time I would come for a shift. The inconsistency was not good for our residents. The job could be great at times but at others extremely difficult and we did not get paid enough for the stress and difficulty of this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo into the homes and spend time with the clients and workers. Know what the problems are so they can be fixed quickly and efficiently. Keep an open line of communication with all workers so they know what is going on in the home and what changes are being made. Look past the money and focus on the safety, health, and happiness of your clients and staff.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK overall, but not the best "long term" career plan

Eureka, CA

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than a year

Pros- Managers are concerned about their "consumers" and do their best to make it work.
- Training provided is great!
- Good about arranging coverage if you need to take a day off
- health care plan you can pay into

Cons- Gradually reduced my hours from full-time to half time once my availability changed and I informed my supervisor I was accepted to a graduate program
- Low wage with GRADUAL increases

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep current employer happy and loyal.

Internal Audit Co-op

Internal Audit (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at The MENTOR Network as an intern for less than a year

ProsMeaningful company mission
Nice people
Good management
No repetitive work
Ability to travel
Level of responsibility increases

ConsSome down time as an intern

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought the company was great as an intern/co-op.

A very comfortable work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than a year

ProsThe ability to be pro-active and assertive

ConsThe lack of response from collaborators

Advice to Senior ManagementHold PDs to task. Be sure they are responding and getting involved when needed.

"Better off working somewhere else"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time

ProsI enjoy the flexibility that the job allows

ConsThere is a lot.....here I go:
1). Benefits are the worst that I have ever encountered in my career. They are so bad that I had to get them outside of the agency. Basically this shows that the company is not invested in their employees. They are so cheap to even invest in better cost of health benefits.
2). No raises to reflect the cost of living.
3). Mileage reimbursement rate is a joke. It does not reflect the cost of the rise in gas prices.
4). No growth here.....if you are looking to grow, this is not the place.
5). It's a numbers game (about quantity and not quality). They want the numbers to go up, but not investing in services to help the challenges with clients.
6). Staff have been overworked and still is. Management has not addressed this issue in months...it also seems like for years to me.
7). There is no appreciation not only from management, but also from the foster parents. The foster parents make it appear that you owe them something (not all of them, but half of them make you feel that way). They don't necessarily understand what the workers go through. There are things we have to do due to upper management, but they get mad when you tell them this and the staff does not make the decision. I understand that in the field you won't always feel appreciated, but at the same time, if it's a constant issue that occurs frequently, then it's a major issue.
8). Regular supervision has been an issue for months.

If you want to deal with these cons that I included in here, then you can work at MENTOR, but I do not highly recommend it. It will save you a whole lot of trouble and hassle at the end by not working at this agency!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important to invest in your employees, so they won't have to feel like the company does not care about their hard work. People have moved on to other opportunities because of the lack of care that the management has for their staff.

There has to be more

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time

ProsGreat mission, great co workers that care, great skills training at an entry level

Consit is all a NUMBER games and what are profitable for people and not what is needed for the people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGET ORGANIZED ALL AROUND. Thriving business dont work like this

Mentor executives should be ashamed of themselves!!!

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are no longer any pros.

ConsExecutives only care about the money and it is all they talk about. Never any talk or trainings that benefit their consumers. You can work at Mentor for 30 years and another person newly hired in doing the same job will make the same money. There is no reward for loyalty. No raises in 7 years!!!! Extremely unorganized!!!! The company policies conveniently change to fit their personal needs. Employees are treated with no respect. You are expected to work 12 to 18 hour days in some positions and paid a flat salary for all your hard work. Caseloads continue to get higher and higher so they can give their executives raises and bonuses and the he'll with the employees and consumers. Benefits are terrible and continue to get worse. Not sure how they have managed to stay in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Reward your good employees!!! Show at least a little bit of caring towards your consumers and employees. Stop increasing caseloads so your employees can give the consumers the care they deserve and are entitled to. You need to raise the bar on what you determine is acceptable care. There is a HUGE disconnect between the worker bees and the executives and it is so obvious with all your unreasonable expectations. STOP working your salaried employees to death.

Ive worked there for 3 years

I have been working at The MENTOR Network

ProsThey do try to give you the hours and location you want

ConsThe pay should be more for every thing you do and they dont give raises

Worked for The MENTOR Network? Contribute to the Community!

The MENTOR Network Videos

The MENTOR Network – Why Work for Us?

The MENTOR Network is one of shared values and resources. We are an organization offering those who work with us and those we serve the benefits of a strong national structure. Tying The Network together is a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The MENTOR Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The MENTOR Network CEO Bruce Nardella . All 123 reviews posted anonymously by The MENTOR Network employees.