The MENTOR Network

The MENTOR Network Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella

Bruce Nardella

Pros
  • Great mission - the company does good work when it comes to serving people with disabilities(in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with and there is opportunity to grow(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are paying new hires more than people working there for years with no raises(in 14 reviews)

• The upper management has NO long term plan, and are hanging by the seat of their pants(in 7 reviews)

Acounts receivables

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay. Excellent learning opprotunies and plenty of help from the feild offices if assistiance needed.

ConsAll the orginal management are gone, now they micromanage. Stressfull and a lot of work.

Fulfilling place to work

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsSupporting a network of operations and support staff who do amazing work for the adults and children we serve. Hearing the inspiring stories of our foster parents, host home providers and dedicated employees.

ConsOpportunities to learn and develop new skills and keep up with changing technology, best practices, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more professional learning opportunities to invest and retain good performers in corporate support functions.

rewarding work

Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) Morgantown, WV

ProsVery rewarding helping people live their lives. Fairly flexible schedule, most of the time you work in a laid back environment at the persons home and just hang out with the people you care for and help them along. Some compensation for mileage when using your own vehichle.

Conssome of the people can be quite challenging. not a whole lot of room to advance. pay is not that well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Resigning from this company was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my career.

Family Centered Specialist (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsIdealistically, the company has good intentions about being a strong community resource to help families and children in need. In practice, what appeared to me to be the most important part about doing business was how much money the company could bill from the federal government. And to the men and women working in direct contact with these marginalized groups of people day in and day out the coffers were closed.

Cons"Bill or die" should have been this company's edict due to the fact that from upper management down to the entry level employee the impression was given that the only thing that mattered was quantity over quality. Very disheartening in a field where serious issues in the lives of client's in dire straights took a backseat to billable hours.

Very disorganized and inconsistent company.

Program Director (Former Employee) Mankato, MN

ProsIf you enjoy working with individuals with disabilities this field is very rewarding. There are always opportunities to advance and to move within the company nation wide as well.

ConsThe bottom line appears to be the most important thing to this company rather than quality training of staff (on all levels- there is NO training guideline for management positions even!) It is difficult to provide quality services with such poor training from the top down. The Mentor Network is just the "parent" company to many other agencies. However Mentor provides guidelines, rules, and forms (oh good lord the ever changing forms) when it is clear the individual creating them has not worked in the field directly to know what realistically occurs day to day. The inconsistencies between Mentor and REM are so large that it seems even upper management can't keep straight whose rules to follow. Of course the company is so large that it does truly depend on what area/region you are working in and how the specific management team handles this awful situation. It is very surprising that more unions have not been created to fight this corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on training staff and management. Lessen the workloads of management so they are able to provide the service they love to provide rather than be stuck at their desks doing the work of three or four positions.

INCREDIBLE team of dedicated, committed employees serving inspiring individuals across the country.

Talent Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI truly hope to retire from TMN, I love my job and the people I work with. The best part of working here is the mission - to serve, serve well, and serve more - our consumers are inspiring and tie us back every day to why we work here. We have such amazingly loyal and dedicated employees - makes me so proud to say I work here. I've only been here for a year & a half, but I am constantly impressed by how many of our employees have been here 24, 16, 28 years... and on and on, often I am the least-tenured person in a meeting, that doesn't happen in a lot of places.

ConsSome of our jobs are the "toughest job you'll ever love!" I embrace how rewarding our environment can be, but it can be challenging with the scale of what we do and the limited resources we have.

The shared services center in North Andover is one of the most unhappy places to work you could ever find.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) North Andover, MA

ProsThis is a national human services company that does great work for the community with traumatic brain injuries, or developmental challenges. The actual "mentors" I get to speak with are really wonderful, patient and kind people. They are the motivation for a lot of employees.

ConsTop-down problems with the management of this company. Horrible executives hiring even worse managers, who are then given the freedom to bring in any number of even worse employees (usually friends or former co-workers). -Appalling disrespectful treatment of A/R and A/P employees by management, causing perfectly rational people to up and quit. -Each employee is made to feel of very little use to the company. If you are not the target today, you'll be made to witness the dysfunction until it is your turn. You could be complimented on Monday, reprimanded on Tuesday, promoted on Wednesday, asked to stay late on Thursday, and then fired on Friday. The very worst HR I have ever seen. There is no estimating how much this company has lost in in employees who could have really taken the company to unheard-of success, but who were fired without reason, or quit because they couldn't take it anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix it now. Release bad executives. If you are a bad manager (you know who you are) then change! Stop treating the center as your clubhouse. Show SSC employees that they are the health of the company, and then take care of them. Stop wasting money on more opulent executive offices, and put it towards the foundation of your bottom line so that the mentors can keep doing great work.

Worst organization I have ever worked for.

Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) Bend, OR

ProsFlexibility in work hours is the only pro I can think of. The house I work for really tries to accommodate every person's hours that work best for them, their time off requests, and any adjustments that need to be made.

ConsManagement is terrible. Direct support staff is treated like the bottom of the food chain. You would think the people actually caring for the clients directly would be treated better, it's no wonder the turn over is so high. I have been with this company for over 3 years and am more than burnt out. I can't get management to hire on any more people to assist me and the program coordinator and site administrator says that my tasks are not their job so when I get overwhelmed caring for 5 clients by myself and ask for help, I do not get any help. Apparently, it is company policy that the program coordinator and site administrator do not do direct support tasks in a fear that boundary lines will get blurred and I would expect them to help when it wasn't needed. Sorry, but when the program coordinator is upstairs watching Family Guy episodes on her laptop and I am scrambling around trying to meet the needs of 5 clients I think that help is necessary. In my opinion respect should be a priority and less focus on the possibility of boundaries being blurred. We are overworked and underpaid for sure. My Program Coordinator gets paid more, works a lot less, and has taken more time off work because of her sick dog than I did when my mom died and three months later my sister died.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you check in with your program leaders in every facility to make sure they are actually doing their job. I can do the tasks of the Program Coordinator, Site Administrator, and my own direct support tasks more efficiently than my supervisors without wasting the company's time and money. Also, you should treat your direct support staff with more respect, let us have some input....all those hours of sick pay/pto/floater leave/ and vacation that accumulates for our "leaders"....some of that should go to the people who are actually more susceptible to the burn out. Pretty sad when my program leaders are bragging about how much paid leave they get yet direct support staff has to work their butts off to be eligible for up to 2 weeks of pto. This is sickening, I am more than burnt out and now that many of our perks/benefits have been taken away; I can't even find the resources to get help for this burn out. I am seeking other employment and would NEVER work for this organization again. I have never been treated so badly by a company or management as I have with the Mentor Network. Can't even believe this organization is still running with the way they treat their staff.

in BHRS, don't work here if you actually expect to get paid on time

Mobile Therapist (Current Employee)

Prosworking with the kids can be really great. they'll hire you with little experience and after a few months, you can go on and get a real job.
    supervisor is nice but a little incompetent resulting in not getting paid on time, or being accused of not doing your work because she loses it (how do you lose an email?)

Conswow, so much to list.
    -not getting paid to write treatment plans but expected to get them done w/in 48 hrs of ISPT meeting
    -paycheck is unpredictable and ALWAYS short
    -spend more time sorting out why check is short than working (not really but it feels like it!!)
    -no pay to drive to/from clients' houses but that's normal for contract
    -other paperwork added that, yep, you don't get paid to do.
    -lame training for paperwork but attitude if you get anything wrong
    -need to ask for info like MA# etc for clients multiple times, it's usually wrong and then YOU don't get paid b/c the paperwork was wrong
    -no pay to actually do paperwork like progress notes but if they're not good enough, they'll get sent back to you for revision (more of your time unpaid)
    -turnover in management and support staff means no one ever knows what's going on
    -"required" supervision is not flexible, have to pay out of pocket for my own supervision
    -if you're having an issue with a client, don't bother trying to talk to your supervisor, she'll forget or say she's too busy to deal with you.
    -feeling really bad for the clients since continuity of services is not good due to the turn over of MTs, BSCs and TSSs.
    -they say the pay is normal for the area but for an MA level clinician, it's really on the low end.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't give your employees an attitude when you are in the wrong.

Good mission.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Edina, MN

ProsYou can feel good about what you are doing - helping people.

ConsCompensation is not on target. Salary surveys need to be done for administrative positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job at promoting from within - keep doing that.

Worked for The MENTOR Network? Contribute to the Community!