The MENTOR Network

The MENTOR Network Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella

Bruce Nardella

Pros:
  • "Great mission - the company does good work when it comes to serving people with disabilities"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great people to work with and there is opportunity to grow"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant staff turnover due to no raises which means the care quality could suffer"
    in 13 reviews
  • "No raises to reflect the cost of living"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

"Disappointing"

DSP (Current Employee)
    Klamath Falls, OR

ProsWorking with the people we serve, their families and dedicated DSP make going to work a wonderful experience.

ConsThe company has a wonderful mission statement that would impress anyone that had never heard of them. Those of us that have know this to be untrue. Management will hire anyone and "weed out those not suited for the work" later which puts a huge burden on the other staff and also jeopardizes the health and safety of the people we serve. Upper management promotes people to lower management positions that are grossly under qualified so they do not have to pay a reasonable wage. Staff concerns are ignored and going up the chain of command is frowned upon internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor needs less "corporate" management. More funds would then be available to hire qualified people to work and lead those who work directly with the people we serve. The disconnect between those of us that are actually providing the care and services to the people we serve and upper management/corporate is like the Grand Canyon. It appears that Mentor is all about funding the bank accounts of the suits and not the care of the people we are suppose to be supporting. We have a new CEO, maybe he will make the appropriate changes. It appears that management in my region has opinion's similar to mine based on other reviews.

Very disorganized and inconsistent company.

Program Director (Former Employee)
    Mankato, MN

ProsIf you enjoy working with individuals with disabilities this field is very rewarding. There are always opportunities to advance and to move within the company nation wide as well.

ConsThe bottom line appears to be the most important thing to this company rather than quality training of staff (on all levels- there is NO training guideline for management positions even!) It is difficult to provide quality services with such poor training from the top down. The Mentor Network is just the "parent" company to many other agencies. However Mentor provides guidelines, rules, and forms (oh good lord the ever changing forms) when it is clear the individual creating them has not worked in the field directly to know what realistically occurs day to day. The inconsistencies between Mentor and REM are so large that it seems even upper management can't keep straight whose rules to follow. Of course the company is so large that it does truly depend on what area/region you are working in and how the specific management team handles this awful situation. It is very surprising that more unions have not been created to fight this corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on training staff and management. Lessen the workloads of management so they are able to provide the service they love to provide rather than be stuck at their desks doing the work of three or four positions.

rewarding work

Direct Support Professional (Current Employee)
    Morgantown, WV

ProsVery rewarding helping people live their lives. Fairly flexible schedule, most of the time you work in a laid back environment at the persons home and just hang out with the people you care for and help them along. Some compensation for mileage when using your own vehichle.

Conssome of the people can be quite challenging. not a whole lot of room to advance. pay is not that well.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

INCREDIBLE team of dedicated, committed employees serving inspiring individuals across the country.

Talent Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI truly hope to retire from TMN, I love my job and the people I work with. The best part of working here is the mission - to serve, serve well, and serve more - our consumers are inspiring and tie us back every day to why we work here. We have such amazingly loyal and dedicated employees - makes me so proud to say I work here. I've only been here for a year & a half, but I am constantly impressed by how many of our employees have been here 24, 16, 28 years... and on and on, often I am the least-tenured person in a meeting, that doesn't happen in a lot of places.

ConsSome of our jobs are the "toughest job you'll ever love!" I embrace how rewarding our environment can be, but it can be challenging with the scale of what we do and the limited resources we have.

worst place ever

Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsOffice is BEAUTIFUL! Huge cubicles, brand new monitors, computers and everything else. Across from the Southdale Center, whatever you want for lunch is within walking distance, as is Macy's.

Consimpossible deadlines, perpetually short staffed, unfair pay, demanding, mandatory over time (unpaid overtime for salaried positions), unapproved vacation time, unreasonable expectations, unbelievable turnover, ZERO down time, systems are not for residential billing and everything has a work-around. It is just terrible and is now moving to Boston. Great.

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down.

Speechless

(Former Employee)

ProsMaking a difference in the lives of others. Being there to support and assist those who need you.

ConsEverything else. The administration and management is a joke. Keeping "bodies" employed to fill positions regardless of their inexcusable behavior. Management not fulfilling their duties of keeping essential items in the homes. Underpaid and over worked staff and managers having to purchase essentials out of pocket. Unhealthy hours due to lack of staff. The turnover rate speaks for its-self, take a look at the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people, treat employees with respect. These DSP'S are the individuals who care for the clients. These are the individuals who invest their time and emotions into the clients they care for. Investing in your employees = investing in the clients futures. You have let many good people (employees and managers) go unappreciated and continually overwork them. Value the good people that you hire, keep them there.

not at all appreciated for the effort and hard work that was done.

DSP (Former Employee)
    West Bend, WI

Prosrewarding when connecting with clients

Conspoor pay, no raises, poor management, client abuse not reported, would not want a loved one in a home of theirs

Advice to Senior Managementvery poor training, i worked in a mental health home. incredibly lousy management. no communication, expect DSPs to do management work but not be rewarded for it.

Direct Support Professional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat experience for individuals looking to work in the mental health field. The MENTOR Network provides a great atmosphere for both consumers and employees and allows for growth among all individuals.

ConsStressful working conditions. in some instances, hours would be "cut" if there was no need for staff due to consumers being with family or absent.

Good mission.

Human Resources (Former Employee)
    Edina, MN

ProsYou can feel good about what you are doing - helping people.

ConsCompensation is not on target. Salary surveys need to be done for administrative positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job at promoting from within - keep doing that.

Direct care supervisor

Direct Support Professional (Former Employee)
    Perris, CA

ProsHaving that feeling you are helping someone who really needs it.. the oppertunity to give back when others wont.

ConsThe company seems like a good idea I am sure some of the office are, but I cant understand how its okay to crowd people in little offices and give them broken items to learn with.. I cant understand how a comapny makes so much money but does not update some of the offices.. lastley I dont see how they think it is okay to tell the employee to change adult diapers with food handling gloves, yes the ones that easily break...

Advice to Senior ManagementI.would tell management to step outside their office, listen to the whispers.of your employees they are the heart of the comapny... learn to budget money better. Also learn to talk to your employees better...

Worked for The MENTOR Network? Contribute to the Community!

The MENTOR Network Videos

The MENTOR Network – Why Work for Us?

The MENTOR Network is one of shared values and resources. We are an organization offering those who work with us and those we serve the benefits of a strong national structure. Tying The Network together is a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The MENTOR Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The MENTOR Network CEO Bruce Nardella . All 136 reviews posted anonymously by The MENTOR Network employees.