The MENTOR Network

Updated January 24, 2015
2.3

The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella
Bruce Nardella

Pros
  • Great mission - the company does good work when it comes to serving people with disabilities (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with and there is opportunity to grow (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are paying new hires more than people working there for years with no raises (in 13 reviews)

• No raises to reflect the cost of living (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I Feel Supported

Current Employee - Life Skills Trainer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Life Skills Trainer in Portland, OR

I have been working at The MENTOR Network part-time

Pros

Its easy to connect to supervisors and get support or training.

Cons

Pay could be better for entry levels.

The highs and lows

Former Employee - Senior Direct Support Professional in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Direct Support Professional in Somerset, NJ

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime!!! its beautiful when its allowed. Also loved the bonuses. Most of all the clients. They make it worth while.

Cons

Management!!!!! They were horrible. Too much favoritism, pettiness, sneaky things. People trying to set others up and lies. Majority of the managers, program directors and area coordinators need to be replaced.

Keep personal issues.... personal!!! Be professional at work.

High Productivity, Decent Pay

Former Employee - Family Centered Clinician (IFCS) in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Family Centered Clinician (IFCS) in Independence, OH

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The starting pay was really good. You get reimbursed for pretty much everything and mileage. You make your own schedule and determine when you want to see your families. In this position I learned a lot and gained knowledge in working with families.

Cons

You are micromanaged. You have to detail how many productivity hours you were able to make the day before. If you don't make productivity or are on vacation you are expected to work late into the evenings, weekends, and holidays. Productivity was 30 face to face hours per week. Outrageous, especially when your families can live anywhere from Sandusky to Massillon.

Just realize some weeks it is impossible to make productivity especially with the population of people we work with.

Trying to be and do too much

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

employees care about the consumers and patients and the care provided is something to be hugely proud of.

Cons

the corporate functions can't get out of each other's way and are territorial. too many focus shifts and changes.

cooperate

Love the job not the pay

Current Employee - DSP in Clayton, NJ
    Current Employee - DSP in Clayton, NJ

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work well with peers, need better communications, organization, and consistency

Cons

Better pay cost of living increase

Support your employees and give raises / acknowledge your hard workers

DSP direct support professional

Former Employee - DSP in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - DSP in Miami, FL

I worked at The MENTOR Network as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

laid back, easy money loving individuals

Cons

to many adults with childish ways. grow up we're all grown

watch your managers

Fabulous company working toward being the employer of choice.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The State Director drives her team to maintain excellent customer service, work life balance, positive feedback and a competitive wage. Other upper level management would make that a better place to work if they embraced the same goals.

Cons

Ownership of the breakdown of progress needs to be unified throughout the Upper level management. Support should be consistent, not when the mood strikes them. Wages need to get better for the level of work load.

A good stepping stone.

Current Employee - Therapeutic Mentor in Dedham, MA
    Current Employee - Therapeutic Mentor in Dedham, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

TMs (Therapeutic Mentors/Family Support Specialists) manage their own schedules and they divide their work week up among their client base of seven to nine "persons served." Because the majority of a TMs client base will be school-aged children, most work days do not start before 11 AM, provided you do not have to attend any meetings.

Working with the clients can be difficult at times but there is a lot of fun to be had. Most of the work takes place in the community so TMs and their clients are encouraged to find creative ways to utilize community resources outside of the office and the home.

Weekly supervisions with the Program Director(s) provide TMs the opportunity to discuss their cases with their direct supervisors. TMs may vent to their PD, strategize certain types of skill-building, or receive feedback about performance on a consistent basis.

The Mentor Network's office is a large shared space with a few other programs that all function under the same umbrella more or less, there is always someone around to chat or to discuss your work. The Mentor Network is usually pretty generous with food, too, there always seems to be pizza or Panera Bread or donuts and pastries around somewhere!

Cons

Although TMs are compensated for mileage, it is on the low-end in comparison to similar organizations. The Mentor Network services the cities of Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, and almost the entire metro region of Boston. TMs may be assigned cases from Maynard, Hull, Plainville, and Natick at the same time. Logistically it can be a hardship for some, although The Mentor Network has recently made efforts to match clients as close to a TMs home as possible.

Because The Mentor Network is a for-profit organization they are in a constant state of "financial flux." One month the TMs are told their benefits are going to be cut drastically, the next month they are not.

It can be very frustrating to work for an organization for a few years without a single cost-of-living wage increase and then you are told that the company has had an initial public offering and they are now publicly traded on the stock exchange.

Considering that the Mentor Network has the highest billing target of all the major organizations that offer TM services, the biggest service-area in the state, and that most of its staff live in or around one of the more expensive cities in the country, there needs to be salary increases for TMs and the mileage should reflect the state of Massachusetts standard of 54 cents per mile.

DSP

Former Employee - DSP in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - DSP in Morgantown, WV

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love the people I worked for and with. I built a relationship with my individuals I help mentor. Great place to work.

Cons

Turn over rates. Some people think this is a simple job, its NOT. It takes a special type of person to do this line of work.

REM Review

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My immediate supervisors have been supportive and we both have high hopes for the experience and ideas I bring to the organization.

Cons

As a corporation, too much is being handled on-line through portals, and the human touch is being lost, making employees feel isolated on personally important issues like traditional human resource information.

Keep your promises.