The MENTOR Network

Updated September 28, 2014
2.1

The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella
Bruce Nardella

Pros
  • Great mission - the company does good work when it comes to serving people with disabilities (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with and there is opportunity to grow (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are paying new hires more than people working there for years with no raises (in 13 reviews)

• The upper management has NO long term plan, and are hanging by the seat of their pants (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

DSP at Mentor Network and can't wait to get out!

I have been working at The MENTOR Network part-time for less than a year

Pros

Clients are awesome; I work at a day program so the hours are nice, and weekends off.

Cons

Way WAY too much work for so little pay; Inconsistent and unreliable management; Zero flexibility with hours or option for more hours (my schedule is only 25 hr/week)

Treat your DSPs AND CONSUMERS as if you actually value and appreciate them. WE are the ones doing all the hard work with he consumers! I live in a very very HCOL area and am paid less than your average fast food worker! I'm not expecting loads of money for a job that hired me without even interviewing me and has virtually no requirements. But when you expect me to change adult diapers all day and clean up after consumers and wash dishes, mop, and take out trash...all while watching my consumers...it's a bit much. Consumers are the ones that get shafted by putting so much work onto DSPs, and by having such a high turnaround in employees. I cannot engage my consumers when I'm constantly busy with cleaning or watching other people's consumers because we are severely understaffed and running higher ratios than allowed by licensing. Our program okayed a DSP to transfer to another location without hiring her replacement. Sure, why not, it has zero effect on THEM! Meanwhile it's the DSPs who have to pick up the slack. This is a FOR PROFIT company, so why so little pay? Is upper management is getting equally stiffed? I highly doubt it!

The Worst Job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Group Home Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Group Home Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The clients are great. I miss working with them and helping them achieve their goals.

Cons

Where do I begin? They had me doing the job of a social worker (designing comprehensive behavior management, case management plans), a nursing assistant (counting, tracking, reporting, and dispensing medications), accountant (tracking and reporting the funds for each client and the household), EMT (performing medical procedures and first aid that should have been done in a SKILLED nursing facility by persons who are trained and certified), Case Manager (completing complex reports and presenting at various state agencies) and the list goes on and on (babysitter, parent, enabler, maid, psychologist, gardener, etc.) - - all without the TRAINING, LICENSURE, or PAY! I was literally on call 24/7 and would get a 3:00am call to take a client to the hospital (because REM didn't want to pay for an ambulance). I was berated by parents and guardians without provocation and consistently, without ANY support from management. I was sent home in tears on more occasions that I would like to admit, all with the knowledge of management. They did nothing. My first day on the job as a group home manager, my staff called in sick and I had to work almost 24 hours without sleep. I wish that was the only time, but it wasn't. If someone called in sick, it was up to me to cover the shift. I was EXHAUSTED! They finally hired some flex staff, which we thought we would be able to use when we needed them (when someone calls in sick), but were told we could only use them for employees who are scheduled for vacation, in advance. Trust me, we could cover the shift of someone going on vacation (with notice) but really NEEDED some help when staff either called in sick, or just didn't bother to show up. They also had a 24 hour hot line (WHAT A JOKE) that we were supposed to use when there was any overnight issues. It didn't take us long to realize that we wouldn't find any help there, either. When someone would answer, they would simply tell you how to handle the situation (as if we didn't already know that much) and go back to bed. I would have given anything to see them dragged out of bed at 3:00 am to handle a medical emergency, fight, behavior! And on the rare occasions I was home with my family, I would either get called in, or have to deal with my clients or staff calling me every 30 minutes. Management is either clueless (which I don't believe as I was quite frank in telling them the issues) or they just don't care. Their emphasis is on profit. period. They have a clique and anyone who is not part of that clique is an outsider and treated like a dog. I was unfortunate enough to witness a girl with no experience, had never worked in a group home or with clients, get a promotion over several well qualified, experienced managers, simply because she worked in the office with the managers (as a RECEPTIONIST). It was sickening. For the amount of work and unbearable responsibility, the pay was awful. I cant believe this place is still in business. By the way, they make a TON of money off of these poor clients. They should really give some of it to the people who are doing the actual work.

Listen to ALL of your staff, not just your cliques. Spend some REAL time in the homes, with the clients. When doing an investigation, take into consideration the client's abilities (some of them lie on a consistent basis) and don't just take their word for everything. Do a thorough investigation. Treat your employees like you would want to be treated (and how you treat the clients)... with respect. Stop treating direct support staff like warm bodies. They are real people, with feelings and needs, who take care of the people who bring in the money for YOUR paychecks. Do NOT talk about your staff behind their backs. What you do in the office, does get back to us. We are not stupid or oblivious to your behavior. Thoroughly train your staff. Help your managers when they need help. Offer flex personnel for on-call jobs (when someone called in sick), Support your managers and encourage time off. Don't allow clients or staff co contact managers on their days off, and stand up for your staff when parents and other attack them.

OK overall, but not the best "long term" career plan

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional  in  Eureka, CA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Eureka, CA

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Managers are concerned about their "consumers" and do their best to make it work.
    - Training provided is great!
    - Good about arranging coverage if you need to take a day off
    - health care plan you can pay into

Cons

- Gradually reduced my hours from full-time to half time once my availability changed and I informed my supervisor I was accepted to a graduate program
    - Low wage with GRADUAL increases

Try to keep current employer happy and loyal.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internal Audit Co-op

Former Employee - Internal Audit  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Internal Audit in Boston, MA

I worked at The MENTOR Network as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Meaningful company mission
    Nice people
    Good management
    No repetitive work
    Ability to travel
    Level of responsibility increases

Cons

Some down time as an intern

I thought the company was great as an intern/co-op.

"Better off working somewhere else"

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time

Pros

I enjoy the flexibility that the job allows

Cons

There is a lot.....here I go:
    1). Benefits are the worst that I have ever encountered in my career. They are so bad that I had to get them outside of the agency. Basically this shows that the company is not invested in their employees. They are so cheap to even invest in better cost of health benefits.
    2). No raises to reflect the cost of living.
    3). Mileage reimbursement rate is a joke. It does not reflect the cost of the rise in gas prices.
    4). No growth here.....if you are looking to grow, this is not the place.
    5). It's a numbers game (about quantity and not quality). They want the numbers to go up, but not investing in services to help the challenges with clients.
    6). Staff have been overworked and still is. Management has not addressed this issue in months...it also seems like for years to me.
    7). There is no appreciation not only from management, but also from the foster parents. The foster parents make it appear that you owe them something (not all of them, but half of them make you feel that way). They don't necessarily understand what the workers go through. There are things we have to do due to upper management, but they get mad when you tell them this and the staff does not make the decision. I understand that in the field you won't always feel appreciated, but at the same time, if it's a constant issue that occurs frequently, then it's a major issue.
    8). Regular supervision has been an issue for months.

If you want to deal with these cons that I included in here, then you can work at MENTOR, but I do not highly recommend it. It will save you a whole lot of trouble and hassle at the end by not working at this agency!

It is important to invest in your employees, so they won't have to feel like the company does not care about their hard work. People have moved on to other opportunities because of the lack of care that the management has for their staff.

Ive worked there for 3 years

I have been working at The MENTOR Network

Pros

They do try to give you the hours and location you want

Cons

The pay should be more for every thing you do and they dont give raises

Loved my residents, didn't love the management.

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional

I worked at The MENTOR Network part-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a fun relaxed environment and felt like I was spending the day at home with friends or family. The staff were all fun to work with and when you found people you worked well with it could be an enjoyable experience. I loved the time I got to spend with the residents of the home watching movies, playing games, playing outside, and going out into the community.

Cons

There was no support from the management. They were looking at the money and not the safety of the residents or employees. We were not supported with problems going on in the home with out residents but instead given quick fixes to problems that would not go away. The management spent very little time in the home so they did not know what the problems their staff was facing. There was a lack of communication often and things would be changed each time I would come for a shift. The inconsistency was not good for our residents. The job could be great at times but at others extremely difficult and we did not get paid enough for the stress and difficulty of this job.

Go into the homes and spend time with the clients and workers. Know what the problems are so they can be fixed quickly and efficiently. Keep an open line of communication with all workers so they know what is going on in the home and what changes are being made. Look past the money and focus on the safety, health, and happiness of your clients and staff.

Tough times for DSP's.

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time

Pros

Have good ideas for the clients and Programs. The Co seems to be trying harder this year. Hopefully it will improve more.

Cons

Not much chance for growth. Loyal workers don't get treated any better, Seems like rules aren't enforced. Some DSP's do little and others do more, yet new hires seem to make more money or close to loyal workers.

Stick with a plan. Communicate with Employees weekly so we are informed. Don't just look at us like a body count. WE have a life outside of Mentor.

A very comfortable work environment

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

The ability to be pro-active and assertive

Cons

The lack of response from collaborators

Hold PDs to task. Be sure they are responding and getting involved when needed.

There has to be more

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time

Pros

Great mission, great co workers that care, great skills training at an entry level

Cons

it is all a NUMBER games and what are profitable for people and not what is needed for the people.

GET ORGANIZED ALL AROUND. Thriving business dont work like this

The MENTOR Network Photos

Worked for The MENTOR Network? Contribute to the Community!