The MENTOR Network Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
201 reviews filtered by

1. In-home family therapist

I have been working at The MENTOR Network

Pros

There is a flexible schedule

Cons

The demanding hours, and required check-offs

better mileage reimbursement

2. Therapeutic Mentoring

Current Employee - Therapeutic Mentor in Dedham, MA
    Current Employee - Therapeutic Mentor in Dedham, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working with clients, build scheduling skills, emotional support from staff, learn more people skills. great way to learn more about psychology

Cons

Low Pay, no set schedule, a lot of driving.

N/A they are doing a great job, find more funding so the people lower could get a little more money

The MENTOR Network Response

Oct 27, 2014Talent Manager

Thank you for this feedback. So great to read of your enthusiasm for working with your families. We know there are challenges in covering larger distances to meet with your families, and we're ... More

Foster Parents may as well be slaves.

Current Contractor - Therapeutic Support Staff in Greensboro, NC
    Current Contractor - Therapeutic Support Staff in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at The MENTOR Network as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pros to being a therapeutic foster parent, is helping children that have been through rough situations in their lives. We are able to show them love, give them nurturing homes to live in, we provide discipline and boundaries to help them get back on track.

Cons

The cons are foster parents do not get paid enough to deal with some of the issues that we deal with in taking care of someone else's children. Some foster parents do not do this for the money. But we also have to survive, with our own children. Running these kids all over town for every therapy appointment and psych appts can be very time consuming. all that on top of kids getting suspended from school and having to get of work risking losing your job if you have one. The pay has decreased $25,550 from 2006 to 2013, cost of living has not decreased. Nor would anyone else stay on their job if they had to do the same job and sometimes even more work for less pay.... North Carolina needs to do better

Act like you care when we need help for these children. We advocate for these children as if they're our own, but you turn your phones off at 5pm. Foster parents can't turn their phones off nor can they take a sick day when they want to. We work 24 hours a day for $43 a day per child or $20 a day per child while you have a set pay and only work 40 hours a week.

5. Cheap! I've worked in Healthcare for 15 years and get paid 9.00 an hour.

Former Employee - Direct Support in Hudson, WI
    Former Employee - Direct Support in Hudson, WI

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the clients. There is really no promoting in the company which is sad.

Cons

For 9.00 a hour your constantly working and really have no time to spend with client. Second you are required to find your replacement if you call out people have things happen and the last thing on your mind is to call 10 people to take your shift. And third why in the hell do these idiots wait til payday to mail out our checks? Do they not understand we have bills to pay and a family to feed,why can't the checks be picked up?

I've listened to my house manager complain that they can't keep staff long enough because the company is so cheap. Apparently you all need to get with the times and start giving competitive pay. You need to also be more considerate when mailing paychecks......some of us didn't get our first three checks til the following week (5 days later). AND IT DOES NOT TAKE A MONTH TO SET UP DIRECT DEPOSIT!

This job can be very rewarding, but the mentor network makes it one of the horrible work experience you can face as a adult. .

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Elizabeth, NJ

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Getting to know the kids ,taking them places and teaching them.

Cons

The verbal and physical a.buse from the kids that the mentor network allows them to do to staff . As a human being we have our rights ,but the mentor network tell us we don't. if a kid attacks you you can not protect yourself,you have to allow them to hit you or you have to block it. You can not touch them at all .if they hurt you the mentor network would tell you, you can not call the cop this is apart of your job . I did not sign up to be a kid punching bag.the more you call higher management they will tell you the same ,this is apart of your job.the mentor network do not give any kids consequences When kids abuse staff

Learn to protect your staff and maybe you will have a low staff turn over rate .staff are leaving faster then they came in.

For-profit company did not have clients' best interest in mind

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Portland, OR

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were pretty good, we got along well and worked as a team for the most part, but burnout was apparent. Just a few months after starting I got a slight raise which was nice, but I was told by other employees that this is not the norm. No overtime, ever.

Cons

Very few benefits, I accrued less than a day a month PTO. Training was mostly by coworkers, I very seldom saw my supervisor or heard from them even when we called with a time-sensitive question in regard to a client. Definitely had the feeling that was was most important to the company is having more clients instead of providing quality experience for their lives. No overtime, ever.

Yes, business requires income, but at the expense of providing quality care? More and more over the course of 1 year I saw more clients being added to already full day programs, and staff being very slowly replaced. Instead floaters sometimes filled in but for months various people could not develop good relationships with people who already have a very difficult time communicating and thriving.

Worst experience ever, staying for the paycheck

Current Employee - Regional Director in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses for us in leadership roles

Cons

We always made great money in the leadership positions but our field staff are paid minimum wage. The program directors have a high school diploma along with the regional director and even the executive director. We make all of these requirements for new staff but our leadership is so uneducated that they only know how to do things the old way. Consumers are treated poorly and some of our properties are roach infested and it is sad. These adults that depend on us for a voice are forced to eat food that has been tracked on by roaches and who knows what else. The buildings look fancy and thousands are spent on decorating, yet no money is given to the field staff. Bonuses are based on senior management giving them to their fellow friends and it is based on nothing more than knowing each others families. Getting hired to work and do a job that they know nothing about. An education may not be all that is needed to succeed but at least having experience in the field should be a requirement.

Hold all employees to the same standard. If they can't go back to school and graduate like they say they will every year during their evaluations, let them go. APS is coming and make sure you understand that regional is catching on to what you are all doing.

I enjoy the vision of The Mentor Network!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best part about working at TMN is the opportunity to change lives everyday.

Cons

I would hope the we continue to get higher pay for our DSP positions.

APS where are you?

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is none. If I had 20 words to share about this company it would be the people in which they serve are wonderful clients. But the company need to offer a better pay wage to meet the needs of the staff that makes it all possible.

Cons

Pay these dame people's. I hate when the direct support staff is doing all the work and not getting paid 4 what they are doing. the CEO needs to do a better job at offering more money 2 the direct support staff. I bet u he is getting paid good and the client don't no who the hell he is.

Give these dame people's some money.

Horrific

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facility. Enjoy serving the disadvantaged without having direct patient contact.

Cons

Under paid.
    Over worked.
    Unreasonable Deadlines.
    Ridiculous scheduling expectations.
    Immense Stress.
    No down time.

Work life balance - employees need to leave work prior to 6pm.

The MENTOR Network Photos