The Malvern School Reviews

3.1
Joseph A. Scandone

1. Worth It

I have been working at The Malvern School

Pros

Amazing place to work, management team is awesome!

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Assistant teacher

I worked at The Malvern School full-time

Pros

I have none because when I worked here it was terrible.

Cons

You get treated like a piece of crap. The directors don't care or listen or give you off if you're sick as a dog. They talk bad about you and gossip within the employees. They never ask for your opinion and just throw you in rooms that where not discussed when you where hired. The director was super rude everyday and never happy, and they are very buddy buddy with certain people and treat others badly. You get paid horribly for the amount of stress you have to put up with.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better. Get nicer and caring directors. Become a better company.

3. Take it for the reduced child care

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in West Chester, PA

I worked at The Malvern School (More than a year)

Pros

The kids are really amazing, and appriciation.

Cons

There are a lot of buddy-buddy type relationships within the building. The directors are too friendly with some of the staff, and that causes favoritism.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like employees, not friends.

5. Teacher

I have been working at The Malvern School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good enviornment to make friends
    My supervisor is amazing

Cons

Very corporate oriented
    Priorities are out of whack
    Higher up does not care about employee
    Low pay for the amount of work is expected

Needs a Paradigm Shift

Former Employee - Head Teacher in Lionville, PA
    Former Employee - Head Teacher in Lionville, PA

I worked at The Malvern School

Pros

-This company is completely comfortable with change and seeks progress regularly. They frequently roll out new "programs" within the curriculum and are beginning to integrate technology. With this being said, all of the burden to adequately execute these new programs in ways that benefit students is solely placed on the teachers.

-They will pay for training, however the training rarely, if ever, reflects what is necessary to meet the needs of children within this environment. The presenters often have great ideas...all of them essentially unfeasible in this environment.

-I would have to say the greatest "pro" is the children. They deal with so much shuffling around and their caretakers being pulled different directions at all times (and are understandably frazzled)...yet they find a way to make you smile.

- There are some true professional educators that you have the pleasure working with and learning from. Individuals who truly listen to and love children and don't just "put on a show" for parents.

-Good directors can make all the difference in the work environment if you have the pleasure of working for one.

-If your site is well staffed, you can work with another teacher.

-Summers tend to have low enrollment. Expect to spend the time making all new materials for the walls of your classroom and cleaning the school.

-The curriculum introduces you to interesting artists and authors that you may not have heard about before.

-Supplies will be ordered if you are persistent. This depends mostly on the directors and the budget given to the school.

- All in all, to do well here you need to be resistant to stress, have a sense of humor, excellent people skills and patience, have thick skin and be open to criticism, have customer service skills and above all, truly love working with children to make all the other parts of the job worth it!

Cons

-The head office supervisors who do the "inspections" have unreasonable expectations. Prepare to be judged and "scored" without a chance to explain or advocate for yourself by head office supervisors on such asinine things as a display border being crumpled. It has even been a patch of dust on a shelf.

-Due to the sheer amount of work, directors cut corners to meet impossible deadlines and workloads, which translates to a chaotic and confusing environment for teachers...which ultimately effects students.

-Higher management does not support teachers in disputes with parents... ever. Even when things are well meaning on the part of the teacher or when it was a simple misunderstanding.

-They will expect you to come in to work despite dangerous weather conditions and all the local schools and businesses being closed. That is standard for a day care...not a school.

-Those teachers who regularly don't meet the basic standards set forth by the company or who repeatedly are negligent are rarely, if ever, held accountable. In such an interdependent working environment, everyone suffers when there are "weak links." More often than not, work that is not done by individuals who shirk responsibilities, just ends up being reassigned to harder working individuals. As such, there's resentment and vindictive behavior at times.

-Lack of technology available to teachers is appalling. All materials must be self-made, but there is one computer and one printer that is in constant use. Teachers often resort to paying out of pocket to print things at home on their free time.

-Lack of building-wide communication. Company standards change rapidly and there is often a break down of communication. Head office should email teachers directly for information that pertains to them...the communication chain breaks down frequently leaving people in the dark.

-Perpetual push from higher management to "fill up" the school. This leads to overcrowding of classrooms and health and safety concerns.

Advice to Management

This company has the capacity to really be great, but we need to refocus on what is important: helping teachers best meet the needs of the kids we love so much.

Please update the point system when inspecting the schools to reflect a child centered approach. A pleasant, clean and safe environment is important, but there is way too much time, effort and resources spent on worrying about appearance.

That smudge I haven't had a chance to wash off the wall because I was comforting a crying child? That was a learning experience we just finished having as a class.

That label that fell of a toy bin that I didn't have time to re-adhere? I hadn't noticed it just yet because I was worried one of my children wasn't feeling well.

Dedicated, qualified and loving teachers are getting burnt out and leaving because the focus just isn't in the right place. Every parent who waves good bye to a teary-eyed toddler in the morning is only worried about one thing: is my child safe, cared for and loved?

In terms of money: The budget needs to increase so that broken toys and furniture can be replaced in a timely manner. Money needs to go towards paying for an office assistant for the directors. Having "coordinators" who need to run a class in addition to administrative duties is unreasonable and ineffective.

Supporting your teachers (so that they can provide the best care to students possible) is what needs to happen in order to live up to the company mission statement. Live up to your full potential as a company AND an employer!

Mar 26, 2015HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your experience with The Malvern School. While it is always unfortunate to hear that one of our employees has not had a positive experience ... More

7. The Malvern School is the best company to work for in the ECE industry!

Current Employee - Executive Director in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Malvern, PA

I have been working at The Malvern School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company is run by passionate, dedicated educators from the very top on down. The school work environment is challenging and always changing and improving based on what's new in the ECE field. Fair pay and a good benefits package, The Malvern School is also dedicated to it's teachers and directors. Most directors started in some other capacity within the company and were promoted from within.

Cons

There are no cons from my perspective

Advice to Management

None-these ladies already know what they are doing!

8. I have been with The Malvern School for over 11 years and I love my job and the company!

Current Employee - Executive Director in Glen Mills, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Glen Mills, PA

I have been working at The Malvern School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love everything about The Malvern School as both an employee of over 11 years and a parent of 3 children that went through the school. The Malvern School is is committed to providing a high-quality program with highly qualified teachers. The Malvern School ensures that they are meeting best practices everyday! The Executive level staff is extrememly supportive and recognizes all of our efforts and accomplishments. As a company, the pay is fair and is comparable to other child care centers.

Cons

None from my perspective...although I would love to have had my children go through high school in The Malvern School! :-)

Advice to Management

Thank you! Keep up the good work. As an employee, I appreciate you!

Mar 26, 2015HR Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and your years of service to The Malvern School. WE appreciate YOU!

9. A great place to work!

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at The Malvern School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked in childcare for 18 years and by far The Malven School is the most professional and supportive company out there. I have spent the last 5 years here at The Malvern School as an Executive Director and very happy that I made the decision to leave my former company to come here.
    *The company is very clear about expectations of all positions and also provide you with the tools to succeed. As a Director I am given a very generous budget to spend on supplies and resources so that teachers are not spending their own money, like at other child care centers I am also given a generous budget for payroll so I am not cutting hours like other child care centers. The company also provides me the means to pay for trainings for my staff such as Fire Safety, First Aid/CPR and annual training hours for licensing.
    *We have an online maintenance system to report any issues and they are fixed promptly. They also are here each month conducting routine checks of the building.
    *The Executive Office provides the schools with guidance from a Development and Program Specialist to assist the schools with Curriculum, NAEYC Accrediation and all around program management. As an Executive Director I am offered the resources of a Business Operations Manager who supports me in all aspects of my position.
    *I enjoy coming to school each day to interact with the children and their families as well as my staff.

Cons

As I sit here and think, I can really only come up with 2 cons.

1. Certain times of year can be stressful. Back to School and the beginning of Summer come to mind. They aren't stressful because the Company's expectations are too high or they have failed to support me. It is stressful because there is a lot to do in a short period of time. I would imagine if you asked an accountant how they felt January through April 15th, they would say the same. Or if you asked a postal/UPS employee what December was like for them, they would probably answer the same as well. It isn't anyone's fault, just is what it is and at the end you kick your feet up and know you made it through!

2. Coming on a review site such as this one to see negative posts from previous employees who just do not get it. One review said that The Malvern School has high expectations. Of course it does! I have 14 years experience as a Director, not once have I toured a family and they said they would prefer it if the school and staff perform at the bare minimum! Another review said that the expectations of the job were not what they were told it was going to be. That is absurd! Upon hire you are given a position profile. Depending on your job title, that profile can be 2-4 pages long! You also receive a 46 page employee handbook that lists everything you can expect from us and what we expect from you. And to the employee who asked if it is really necessary to fill out a developmental assessment for an 8 month old, it most definitely is necessary! If you are questioning whether we should communicate with a parent regarding developmental milestones relevant to their child, then I question your integrity as an early childhood professional. I also got a real chuckle out of the comment that teachers are made to make their own decorations and not allowed to buy them. Commercially sold classroom decor does not meet our standard for depicting diverse, real world people, places and objects. Our dedication and diligence to high quality programming is just one of the the things that sets us apart from other schools.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for the best expectations for your programs and professionals.

10. Professional

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at The Malvern School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional company with emphasis on early childhood education.
    Children's needs come first.
    Great coworkers who share in mission and passion for early childhood education.
    Management is very involved in the day to day operations of the schools.
    Educational Advancement is encouraged and rewarded.
    An array of benefits are offered and there are contests/raffles throughout the year for different benefits. Contests/raffles = Prizes! :)
    There is room for growth in the company if you work hard and want to move up.

Cons

Can be hectic at certain times, longer hours, shorter breaks, but hard work is appreciated.
    Compensation is in line with or slightly hire than industry standards but could use to be a bit higher or perhaps include other incentives.
    Limited planning time for lesson plans or classroom decorating, although you are given access to all the supplies/tools you might need without having to beg for or get what you need on your own from your own pocket.

Advice to Management

With some minor enhancements, The Malvern School would be THE place to be. The teachers work very hard and LOVE the families and what they do. A few more "pats on the back" would go a long way.

Mar 26, 2015HR Manager

Thank you very much for this review! We appreciate your thoughtful opinion and your service to The Malvern School! We are constantly working on new and creative incentives and benefits for our ... More

The Malvern School is successful in spite of itself! Emphasis is on appearances only, not a quality "school" experience.

Former Employee - Head Teacher
    Former Employee - Head Teacher

I worked at The Malvern School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The families are very supportive of good teaching (although they are painfully aware of the mediocrity that is rampant throughout the building.)

Cons

The management team and corporate offices are out of touch with current brain based learning. Teachers do not have the support to succeed. Money is spent on new computers (15K) but many classrooms have not had new materials in over a year. It is not unusual to run out of basic supplies such as hand soap, drinking cups, or paper towela.

Advice to Management

Share the profits with the families and teachers. Stop sucking money out of centers "Walk the walk" and you will be successful both financially and ethically. Unless, of course you are trying to stay out of bankruptcy or selling the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed