The Mark Travel Corporation Reviews

reservation sales agent

Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good company to work for generally speaking. Good benefits, good team work atmosphere between departments. Lot of free catered lunches from suppliers like hotels and visitors bureaus. Can almost count on two or three catered lunches every week. Nice office building with free gym and natures table restaurant in building next door. Fast food places nearby. As performance incentives free flights and hotel stays throughout the year. Job turnover was very low compared to a lot of similar vacation call centers, so there was a high experience level which made it easier during "crisis" situations like when bad weather canceled flight schedules or hotels or airlines suddenly closed without notice.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement since Orlando Fl office was mainly just a call center and small marketing department. The main corporate office was in Milwaukee WI. The pay scale was good compared to similar call centers in Orlando, where there are many call centers. The only way to make extra money was working overtime during peak season period, mainly January to June of each year. Leaving early during slow season, usually July to December was encouraged, either using paid vacation time or unpaid time. Call center supervision was very strong using of lot of sophisticated computer monitoring for scoring customer service level on calls and checking your overall phone statistics. This close supervision can be very nerve wracking and irritating sometimes.

Advice to Management

More monetary incentives for high performance besides working overtime would improve morale tremendously.

Jan 8, 2015VP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hello,
    Thank you for your review. It's unfortunate that we've lost someone who was with us for over 10 years. We appreciate your years of service. I also appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you

Reservations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Vendors bring free lunches.
    2) Only way to get fired is to have attendance issues or be non-compliant.
    3) Once you are in the company the application process for other positions could be easy depending on what you are transferring to.

Cons

1) Big brother is watching - they watch everything you do from monitoring every call, to supervisors doing rounds around the desks, and regimenting your breaks.
    2) Mistakes get far more attention than your achievements do.
    3) Constant technical issues with the system causes angry calls and further frustrates attempts to resolve issues.
    4) The message of wellness is really in the interest of keeping employees well enough to come to work. Mandatory overtime sometimes up to 8-10 hours over a 40 minimum hour a week schedule during peak season - requires health. Not having much of a personal life does not fit a model of wellness.
    5) If you get promoted they will not tell you how much you will make until you accept the position.
    6) Not allowed to take breaks or lunches with co-workers purposely. If it happens by accident great - if not, you can get reprimanded (your schedule belongs to the company).
    7) Supervisors know little about your job - they don't know the policies and get frustrated when you ask them for help. They prefer for you to call Customer Support and they sometimes don't know.
    8) Policies and product descriptions are not clear sometimes and instead of fixing it - people cast blame back on those who question for clarity.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and treat them better so you can keep them.
    Have people who like working weekends have set weekend shifts and have those who don't like it not work them. Give people consistent schedules so they can be happier - consistent schedules leads to being able to have a life outside of work. (Unless that is the point of not giving one - you want slaves not employees.)
    Too much pressure is placed on the agents - this is why we see so many strokes, people fainting from high blood pressure, and bursting out in tears in the middle of the center.

Dec 9, 2014Human Resources

Hello,

Thank you for expressing your concerns to us. We see that you are a current employee and encourage you to bring your concerns to your HR Manager. We do have a process for internal
    ... More

Great company to learn about the travel industry.

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation packages. Training is done very well and new employees are given feedback to achieve call center standards,

Cons

Travel Benefits are not offered as frequently as in the past. TMTC President Bill La Macchia has been a great innovator in vacation travel packages, however most people book their vacation packages through the internet instead of wholsalers.

Advice to Management

Offering more Fam trips would be a great way for employees to experience the destinations and hotels offered. Reservation agents should recieve higher compensation, better benefits. I expect that the Mark Travel reposnse will be the "corporate" response that the salary and benefits package are comparable to other companies in the Orlando area.

Aug 11, 2014Human Resources

Hello,

Thanks for your review. We are pleased that you think the Customer Care training is done well and will continue to make sure that is the case. We do still offer a plethora of great travel

Was once a great place to work BUT has gone downhill since 2009

Former Employee - Reservation Lead in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Reservation Lead in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be the travel Benefits on airline partners and hotels. The fun we used to have on FAMs, Good benefits, health, 401K match, vacation time and schedule flexibility

Cons

The travel benefits are gone, staff has been cut significantly, (I was there 18 years before they cut me). Internet travel access has brought a competition that they can not match. I have been told schedules have been less liberal because of cuts

Advice to Management

Replace Jr. and bring back the Original CEO, Develop a new direction by taking the Expedia model and have a large presence in the brick n mortar as well as cyber markets

Jul 17, 2014Human Resources

We are disappointed to see that you believe the company is going downhill. Our travel benefits are still active and many team members take advantage of those offers. We are a growing company and ... More

When This company split the "Witches of Eastwick" took over!

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time

Pros

Getting to help people who booked vacations with this company. The 2 people in the scheduling department were great.

Cons

When I first started at Mark Travel it was different. Unicorns and rainbows. When the company split into Southwest Vacations which is where I was and Funjet in WI. It allchanged. The company started getting "upgrades" to their system. We had headphones that we could never hear people but the clients always heard everything around us. Our reservation system always crashed. Our new email system for answering emails was in beta! The company is being now run by all women and the dynamic of the workplace is off. At the end of 2012 for 3 months they cut hours to almost part time because we were so slow but WI office was slammed but they would not open up our lines to help them so we could keep our hours.In Jan 2013 they promised overtime and it never came. They could not stop roaches in that place.

Advice to Management

Fix your system, Too many women running the place,pest control,marketing

Terrible company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job. Better than nothing I guess.

Cons

Low pay wages, bad working hours constantly change without propper notice, too much mandatory overtime when they need you but they cut your hours when they don' need you. The so called medical insurance they offer is a joke! with very high unreasonable deductibles. The Supervisors or Team leads are hired from outside and have no knowledge of the product and all they do is monitor your calls and critisize your calls and you get penalized for this.
    No travel discounts or benefits anymore at all!
    They try to appease employees by the ocasional pot luck or handing out candy bars and other worthless treats! They do not care about their employees at all.
    Management has all holidays off but call center workers have to work all the overtime and bad hours.

Advice to Management

Get real! Listen to the needs of your employees and take action!
    Try to be more empathetic to the needs of the employees, if you treat us right we will give you back 150%

Jul 17, 2014Human Resources

Hello,
    We're sorry to hear about your frustrations, but do want to address them. Being in the travel industry, our call volume is always changing so we ask great flexibility of our Customer Care
    ... More

A great place to work that knows how to have fun and how to get the job done.

Former Employee - Marketing in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Travel benefits are abundant.
    Generous time-off system to enable travel.
    Prefer to hire from within.
    Large organization with lots of opportunities for advancement (mainly Milwaukee corporate office).
    Teams are well assembled and management cares about team and individual success.

Cons

As with many jobs in the travel industry, wages are low for the talent and skill levels.
    Again, as with much of the travel industry, jobs are not secure. Changes in consumer purchasing habits often impact vacation travel first and hardest.
    Upper management often fragmented on direction.
    Technology and advertising providers are mainly in-house (Trisept Solutions and BVK) and overtaxed. This often led to ivory-tower decisions and long waits to get solutions.
    If you work in a satellite office, opportunities for advancement are not nearly as abundant as Milwaukee.

Advice to Management

Stop relying on today's revenue to pay today's bills. Save a significant portion of the profits to build up a nest egg to cover costs. This reduces, or eliminates, the need to borrow money and can become a revenue stream instead of a liability.

9. Mark Travel is a good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

Mark Travel has great people to work with and offers their employees many opportunities for affordable travel. Company has a great reputation in the hospitality industry.

Cons

Mark Travel is economy driven so when the economy declines, lay offs are inevitable. Health insurance is good, but comes with high deductibles.

Good place to get your feet wet

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

Mark Travel provided a flexible and balanced work life. Great place to get your feet wet after college as well as a good place to work if you are a parent in need of a flexible work schedule. A lot of great people work for the company and is a very warm family environment.

Cons

For the young professional there are very limited growth opportunities. Very fun work environment but you do have many trade offs for enjoying this relaxed work environment. Technology is very limited and it is a very closed wall organization. Leadership sometimes suffers from group think and not always focused on being ahead of the pack.

Advice to Management

Look to grow company from within.

The Mark Travel Corporation Photos