The Mark Travel Corporation

3.3

William E. La Macchia

Lifelong Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Started right out of college with real marketing opportunity. Given lots of opportunity for growth and learning every day. Love being able to work for a company that fulfills vacation dreams for millions of people. Family owned business with entrepreneurial spirit. Growing company in fun and challenging industry. Lives by core values: Be Unique, Embrace Change, Ask, Get Your Hands Dirty, Live End to End, Be Well Work Well Live Well.

Cons

People outside the company never really understand what you do for work and always think you can get them a vacation deal.

Tell our story to more people about the amazing opportunities for personal development and life-long careers.

Great Family Owned Company

Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

Large enough for career opportunities/advancement while small enough that you get wide variety of tasks and responsibilities to gain exposure to many different areas of the company.

Cons

Not really a con but prospective employees should be able to handle Passionate Debate as we like to say in exchanging your ideas with others. We don't accept the status quo and will continue to ASK questions to make sure we stay on top in the travel industry.

Jan 8, 2015Human Resources

Hello and thanks for your review. We appreciate when our team members take time to share their positive experiences with prospective Mark Travel candidates.

We do make our best efforts to foster
    ... More

A company with real core values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite core value is "Get your hands dirty". At all levels of the organization team members pitch in to take care of the customer and ensure their vacation expectations are met and exceeded. Business goals are set through a structured planning process and expectations for team member performance are clear. "Be well, work well, live well" is another core value that the entire organization is committed to. The company has invested heavily in the well being of team members and it shows. If you're looking for a company with a clear vision, aggressive plans for growth and a proven operating system, then TMTC is for you.

Cons

Travel is a low margin business and expenses have to be carefully managed. Teams run leaner here than at other companies I have worked at. As a result, each role has a lot of responsibility and workload. The business is very fast-paced which can burn you out if you don't set your priorities and manage to them.

I share my advice regularly with management. There's nothing additional that I feel the need to post here.

Wonderful Place to Work!

Current Employee - Accounting
    Current Employee - Accounting

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

I have never felt so appreciated at a job. They regularly tell me how happy they are with my work and really make me feel like an important member of the team. I never feel nervous about going to my supervisors for help, questions, or advice. I even felt very comfortable during the hiring process. My recruiter Lindsay made me feel at ease and welcome at the company even before I was hired. Even from the beginning of my recruitment, it was clear that this was a nice place to work with good people. In general, the atmosphere of the entire company is that of togetherness, and even across a large corporation, they tend to make us feel like one team.

Some other highlights:

Great benefits - I've spoken with co-workers and friends who have had other jobs who tell me benefits don't get much better than this. The premiums haven't been raised in 7 years, and this is largely due to their awesome wellness program.

Wellness program - Speaking of the wellness program, I love it! You can meet with their company wellness ambassador on a bi-weekly basis about anything health-wise you'd like to improve. They even have wellness day in the summer with good, healthy food, chair massages, etc. They're very much about all-over wellness - mind, body and soul. That's why one of the core values is "Be well, work well, live well".

Good atmosphere - Like at any company, you'll have people who will complain and bring you down a bit, but for the most part people love their jobs here and have a good outlook. The supervisors and leads are dedicated to making your job more enjoyable. They care about the company and take things seriously, but also like to have fun.

Tuition reimbursement - If you're planning on furthering your degree like I am, this is a great benefit. They offer much more than most companies do, but it's merit-based so make sure you get good grades and they'll cover 100% of a class up to a certain amount.

Vacation time - You pretty much can't beat the vacation time that is offered here. After being with the company for 8 years as a full-time employee, you get 5 weeks paid vacation as well as 3 floating holidays. Most of my coworkers with this much time off can't even use it all. They're a travel company, so they very much encourage you to get out there by giving you the time to do it.

Room for advancement - The company is very much about providing you the tools to further yourself in your career. They would rather promote within than higher from the outside.

Cons

The only things for the most part that come to mind are things that happen at any company, like having to get used to coworker's differing attitudes/personalities.

I'd also say the salaries aren't superb, especially as a college graduate, but that can also be partly attributed to our bad economy. Also the travel industry is just recently getting back on its feet, so as the company grows, they are willing to be more generous with payroll, especially if you're willing to work hard and participate in things. My salary already went up after 6 months because my work ethic was recognized.

Listen to what your employees want changed and really consider these and make sure to compensate your employees as the company becomes more profitable. You've always been all about the employee, so please never lose sight of that.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly review your experience as a team member at TMTC. We very much appreciate it and want you to know how valuable this feedback is for both us and our ... More

Enjoying my job... 9 years & counting!

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy what I do and having the ability to combine my career passion with my one of my favorite hobbies (travel) is part of what keeps me excited every day. The Mark Travel Corporation has outstanding core values that are truly ingrained in all aspects of the business. The wellness program offers amazing opportunities to Be Well, Work Well, Live Well. I feel that my wellness & well-being are genuinely important to the owners of the company. There are many opportunities to promote from within and work on team projects outside of your own department. Travel discounts are a great benefit - I've personally used them with friends and family numerous times during my time here to visit some fantastic places.

Cons

The travel industry is constantly changing and fast paced - if you don't enjoy change it may not be the right place for you.

I've seen many opportunities where leaders have met with new & tenured team members for their feedback. The employees love to see & hear from you - keep it up!

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i love this company. while no company is perfect the mark travel is a place i recommend all my friends to apply for. the pay is great. yes we have to do mandatory overtime working in the call center, but we are only open until 9pm, iv worked for places that make you work overtime in the middle of the night, also for the mandatory overtime it is only 4-8 hours, and we get the pick when we want to do it. that is only 1.5 extra hours a day if you chose. the overtime is also unlimited when it is offered, they dont care how much you work. i have many colleges at other companies who wished their company offered overtime they way Mark travel does. full time and part time employees get paid holidays. The dress code is casual, an sometimes i do see people wearing questionable things but i come to work to do my job. I get paid to sit at a desk and talk to people all day, and while that can get frustrating at times, i understand that the job in the call center is one of the most important in the company. we get great discounts on our travel. its really hard to get fired here. mostly i hear people are let go because of attendance, and the attendance policy is one of the most flexible ones for corperate america. there are oppertunities for advancement all the time, we are constantly being cross trained in different areas.

the company gives us lunch, makes us smoothies, we have family events, we have a wellness coach, the owners are very friendly and can be seen on the property. i feel safe at work, i have wonderful co workers, we get paid extra on the weekends.

the reviews i have read have been an insult to the company. how can you work for a comapny for 10 years OF YOUR OWN WILL , and walk away with only negative things to say/ the company has paid you to do a job and 10 years is a long time to waste on a job you only give 2 stars. This job does have its cons, as any job will, but nothing about this job makes me want to quit. this company has been around for over 40 years, and was started in little Milwaukee, Wi and has survived through economic hardships. i am very blessed to have this job and i appreciate the overall benefits that the LaMacchias offer their workers.

Cons

i think a con working in the call center is not getting commission, and i do not mean to sound greedy as the pay is very decent. it gets very frustrating booking vacations for clients and travel agents, with no commission, but if the travel agent booked it they would get comission on a package for the same cost.

another con is that supervisiors do not know how to help us when we need it. the company hires people with no experience instead of promoting customer service reps to supervisor, as a customer service rep, we have the most contact with the clients and we deal with so many differnet situations that we would make great supervisors

people who work at the company for long times get to do things differently, they dont always follow the same procedures as new hires, and as a new hire, i have witnessed many situation where a older worker was able to get away with something that a newer worker was not allowed to do.

the customer care 2 reps are very rude, they need better customer service training. they act like because they speak with us internally that they do not need to provide the same level of service to us and that is not okay.

although in the interview process they do advise us of a changing schedule, and we get our schedules 3 weeks in advance, it would be nice to have set schedules, there are so many departments that only work monday - friday and at the same set time, working in the call center, you can close all week then the next open then the nest do mid shifts/ also it is a con that your schedule can be changed at anytime to, but you dont have the same luxury when requesting a schedule change. for people with families that can be difficult.

the over time is awesome, but i dont think its fair to only offer it when its convient to the company, if i have a 40 hr shift and my friend wants to give me one of their shifts, i cannot take it if it means im working more than 40 hours (if its not peak season)

consider adding commission.
    consider promoting current workers to supervisor positions
    consider allowing people to be able to pick up shifts over their 40 hours (if one is willing to work, why not allow them to)
    consider set schedules

A company that cares about their team members and customers

Current Employee - Customer Service in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

I have been with Mark Travel for a number of years and wouldn't even consider leaving. It is a family owned business that understands the importance of supporting their employees not only in the day to day but also as it relates to their personal wellness.

There are also many job opportunities throughout the company. We are always hiring. Not because of turn over, as there are many veterans on our team, but due to the ever changing ways of how we do things. We keep getting better!

Cons

Most everyone at the company understands the importance of the customer however; I believe more leaders need to spend more time in Customer Care to really understand how their decisions impact our customers.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources

Wow, what a great review! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate that you "Embrace Change" within the organization and are glad you recognize that we genuinely care about our team ... More

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

Competitive pay, benefits are affordable, the work is fun and interesting.

Cons

Mandatory overtime: would prefer they seek volunteers first then give mandatory overtime if need is not met. Makes for a very long day when you have to work overtime hours but the call volume is low and once you have it you can't get rid of it.

SharePoint information needs to be clearer in many areas. The info is either very limited or confusing.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on working at TMTC! We are glad you find your work on the Customer Care team both fun and interesting and hope that continues.

We have shared
    ... More

Solid Company, Especially for those Beginning their Career.

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time

Pros

Workers create a friendly, open environment to work in. It's easy to achieve a healthy work-life balance, with paid time off and a flexible schedule. Also, the company has some great unique health-oriented benefits, such as smoothie days, free health seminars, and fitness walks during the work day.

Cons

Every position has a lot of responsibility, and it always seems like more is being added. While this is is helpful for personal growth, it can also be difficult to get all of the work done.

Keep doing what you're doing, and make sure you're listening to your front-line workers.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources

Hello and thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear your positive comments about our work environment and benefits. Thank you for sharing.

We do agree that each position

Large Company with a Small Company Feel

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

Benefits are well beyond standard for companies our size and our premiums have not increased in seven years. Generous vacation time off plan, and the company lives by it's core values. Team members here are challenged regularly and are held accountable for their decisions - therefore, are also given latitude for independent judgment. I regularly see team members promoted - we love to hire from within.

Cons

Although we have fun, the company still expects a lot from it's team members and we ask the tough questions. You have to be willing to accept that.

Jan 8, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Mark Travel.

We are very excited about not increasing our benefits premiums for the seventh year in a row, and we attribute that in part

The Mark Travel Corporation Photos