The Mark Travel Corporation

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
4.0

William E. La Macchia

Great company, with endless opportunities to grow and find your perfect fit!

Current Employee - Travel Advisor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Travel Advisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room to grow, friendly people to work with, lots of fun things going on office-wide every week makes you feel like your part of something really great and exciting! Also love having a wellness ambassador for the company.

Cons

Since providing customer service requires you to be near a phone at all times, it took me a little while to adjust making sure someone else in the office is also available before I leave my desk to go to the restroom or for lunch.

Mailroom/ Property Mgmt.

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm one of the few in this company to have this great opportunity to wear more than one hat with my job responsibillities. Being on my feet most of the day is a good thing for me at this point in my life. Doing verious tasks, from all responsibillities in the mailroom to working with maintenance and fulfilling fellow employees needs. The VIP/ vacation time program is really great. Good insurance, and great poeple to work with. I look forward to coming to work for the first time in a long time.

Cons

My job does not come with a employee handbook. Trainning comes on experiance and day to day duties. So that can be a little frustrating.

Just remember that this possition does not come with a training manuel.

Great Place to Intern!

Current Intern - Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Intern - Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I've loved every minute of working as an intern here. My leader and coach have been so supportive throughout my time here, and they truly want to see me succeed. The training process was very efficient, and my department does a great job of creating an environment where I have the opportunity to ask questions and really get my hands dirty. I appreciate the focus given to our core values: Be Unique; Be Well, Work Well, Live Well; Embrace Change; Get Your Hands Dirty; Ask; and Live End-to-End.

Our internship program is very organized, and it allows me to connect and network with different interns across the many different departments. There is an intern event held every month focused on a different core value, and I'm excited to get to participate in and even help plan these events. Things like wellness events targeted towards college students, benefits workshops for soon to be graduates, and even LinkedIn and resume review days really make me feel valued as an intern. I can honestly say I can see myself working for Mark Travel after I graduate.

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind... Mark Travel is a very large company, and sometimes the organization structure is hard to understand. However, everyone within the company is helpful in answering questions I have about it.

Look into potentially opening up more internship positions within the company. It's a great place to work, and I think many more college students could benefit from an internship here.

Feb 26, 2015Human Resources

Thanks for the review! Our internship program really aims to help students prepare for the work world, and it's even more successful when we can hire an intern as a full-time team member. We're ... More

Great place to work, learn and grow

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mark Travel develops and encourages personal and professional growth in a unique environment, within a fascinating industry. This is a company where the people in it have a mutual respect and admiration for each other and collectively strive for top performance.

Cons

we are a hard working group...not a con in my mind but may be in others.....

Feb 9, 2015Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We do work hard and embrace our core value of "Get Your Hands Dirty," which helps us work toward our mission of being the world leader in the leisure travel ... More

Great Growth Opportunities!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a great environment to work in, we have a diverse group of people working for the company. It looks like the average office building on the inside.There are a lot of creative and positive vibes from the people in the office which keeps the environment exciting. We have new faces in the office often,but the majority of people hired stay with the company. Its easy to move to different departments in the company so we have the opportunity for growth. Mark Travel is all about promoting from within the company, that's always important!

My team leader is very helpful and knowledgeable. She lets us know when we are doing well and is very thoughtful of her team. There are many nice Leaders that i have met besides her.

It is very easy to talk to HR, our HR manager is in the call center every Thursday and she is very helpful with any issues or questions that have come up.

I feel we have an extremely lenient attendance policy. It is surprising to me that this is our largest cause for people getting "terminated". I believe everyone is allowed 3 late days or early departures before they get an " occurrence" and 3 personal days? something along those lines! From my understanding, once you get three occurrences then you will get terminated. But i am not positive as it has not happened to me.

It is a large company, but family owned. They family members are often around the buildings. It gives a reassuring feel to know that they care about our work environment.

we often have people who work in marketing or in our product team come in the call center. They listen to calls to see how we use the system, common issues that agents come across and other improvements that could be made. I have noticed many improvements with our system since i have started.

we also get to learn about the hotels and tour companies in person! suppliers visit often we get cards, magazines, key chains, and other things to promote their product.
    Overall we have many friendly and outgoing employees. It's wonderful to work with such nice people!

Cons

I know that within the last couple years we have had to hire new supervisors in the reservations department. I am not sure if it is because the reservations agents were not interested in applying for those positions or if it was better for our company to have a different perspective. I think that it would be great if some of the newer supervisors in the call center had more experience with how to use the system. This way they would be able to assist when call volumes are high.

We are not allowed to take Un-paid time off. I was told "only when it is being offered". It has not been offered for the last two years.

Some employees have said they feel we only are recognized for our mistakes or when something is wrong. I can understand why they feel this way, but it is to be expected with large companies.

While the system we work with has improved, we often have technical issues with our phones or with the booking system. It is especially hard on the front line because it can cause frustration for them and the clients.

It can be very difficult to work 46+ hours when you have a family or anything else going on in your life. These hours are mandatory during Peak-Season. I don't know about other departments, but in reservations they only offer specific hours for us to select. Usually falling in the evening or on the weekends. For those who work closing shift, they often are required to work 6-7 days a week with they availability they give us.

It would be nice to have the offices updated. many of the carpeted cubical's seem dirty.
    Recognizing achievements of the employees in some way would be very appreciated by us. ( especially when we are working over time for 7-8 months at a time )

Feb 9, 2015Human Resources

Hello and thank you for sharing so much insight on what it's like to work at TMTC! We are so glad to hear your leader and HR Manager are accessible and helpful. Be sure to share that feedback with ... More

Love my job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for The Mark Travel Corporation. During my hiring process, there was a heavy emphasis put on the "culture" of the organization. Everyone talked about the "culture" as being what sets the company apart from all others. It was not until I was hired, and was immersed in this culture, that I really could see the difference. From management to front line team members, it is obvious that everyone has a vested interested in everyone else. The people here really do care about everyone around them, and really want to see each other be successful. I feel valued every single day, and I see the value that I do add. I love knowing that I make a difference, and that I am appreciated. I am treated with respect, and the ideas that I have, are really listened to and considered. I know that I have room to learn and grow, and I know that if I work hard, it will pay off and be recognized.

Cons

I really do love my job- and there are not many things that I would change. However, some decisions need to be made by taking into consideration all perspectives and ideas, and not just having one person at the "top" making the final decision.

Keep being a great example. My manager is fantastic, and really represents our core values- and values me as an employee. Keep listing your your employees.

Feb 5, 2015Human Resources

Hello,
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are so pleased to hear that you love your job and appreciate the culture at TMTC. It is great to hear that your leader embodies the core

Lifelong Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Started right out of college with real marketing opportunity. Given lots of opportunity for growth and learning every day. Love being able to work for a company that fulfills vacation dreams for millions of people. Family owned business with entrepreneurial spirit. Growing company in fun and challenging industry. Lives by core values: Be Unique, Embrace Change, Ask, Get Your Hands Dirty, Live End to End, Be Well Work Well Live Well.

Cons

People outside the company never really understand what you do for work and always think you can get them a vacation deal.

Tell our story to more people about the amazing opportunities for personal development and life-long careers.

Jan 29, 2015Human Resources

Hello,
    Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and feedback. We definitely do live by those core values and are glad to see them being embraced by our team! Our recruiting team is working hard

Great Family Owned Company

Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

Large enough for career opportunities/advancement while small enough that you get wide variety of tasks and responsibilities to gain exposure to many different areas of the company.

Cons

Not really a con but prospective employees should be able to handle Passionate Debate as we like to say in exchanging your ideas with others. We don't accept the status quo and will continue to ASK questions to make sure we stay on top in the travel industry.

Jan 8, 2015Human Resources

Hello and thanks for your review. We appreciate when our team members take time to share their positive experiences with prospective Mark Travel candidates.

We do make our best efforts to foster
    ... More

A company with real core values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite core value is "Get your hands dirty". At all levels of the organization team members pitch in to take care of the customer and ensure their vacation expectations are met and exceeded. Business goals are set through a structured planning process and expectations for team member performance are clear. "Be well, work well, live well" is another core value that the entire organization is committed to. The company has invested heavily in the well being of team members and it shows. If you're looking for a company with a clear vision, aggressive plans for growth and a proven operating system, then TMTC is for you.

Cons

Travel is a low margin business and expenses have to be carefully managed. Teams run leaner here than at other companies I have worked at. As a result, each role has a lot of responsibility and workload. The business is very fast-paced which can burn you out if you don't set your priorities and manage to them.

I share my advice regularly with management. There's nothing additional that I feel the need to post here.

Jan 29, 2015Human Resources

Wow, thanks for the great feedback! We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts about working at TMTC and are thrilled that you so strongly identify with our core values. While we ... More

Wonderful Place to Work!

Current Employee - Accounting
    Current Employee - Accounting

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation

Pros

I have never felt so appreciated at a job. They regularly tell me how happy they are with my work and really make me feel like an important member of the team. I never feel nervous about going to my supervisors for help, questions, or advice. I even felt very comfortable during the hiring process. My recruiter Lindsay made me feel at ease and welcome at the company even before I was hired. Even from the beginning of my recruitment, it was clear that this was a nice place to work with good people. In general, the atmosphere of the entire company is that of togetherness, and even across a large corporation, they tend to make us feel like one team.

Some other highlights:

Great benefits - I've spoken with co-workers and friends who have had other jobs who tell me benefits don't get much better than this. The premiums haven't been raised in 7 years, and this is largely due to their awesome wellness program.

Wellness program - Speaking of the wellness program, I love it! You can meet with their company wellness ambassador on a bi-weekly basis about anything health-wise you'd like to improve. They even have wellness day in the summer with good, healthy food, chair massages, etc. They're very much about all-over wellness - mind, body and soul. That's why one of the core values is "Be well, work well, live well".

Good atmosphere - Like at any company, you'll have people who will complain and bring you down a bit, but for the most part people love their jobs here and have a good outlook. The supervisors and leads are dedicated to making your job more enjoyable. They care about the company and take things seriously, but also like to have fun.

Tuition reimbursement - If you're planning on furthering your degree like I am, this is a great benefit. They offer much more than most companies do, but it's merit-based so make sure you get good grades and they'll cover 100% of a class up to a certain amount.

Vacation time - You pretty much can't beat the vacation time that is offered here. After being with the company for 8 years as a full-time employee, you get 5 weeks paid vacation as well as 3 floating holidays. Most of my coworkers with this much time off can't even use it all. They're a travel company, so they very much encourage you to get out there by giving you the time to do it.

Room for advancement - The company is very much about providing you the tools to further yourself in your career. They would rather promote within than higher from the outside.

Cons

The only things for the most part that come to mind are things that happen at any company, like having to get used to coworker's differing attitudes/personalities.

I'd also say the salaries aren't superb, especially as a college graduate, but that can also be partly attributed to our bad economy. Also the travel industry is just recently getting back on its feet, so as the company grows, they are willing to be more generous with payroll, especially if you're willing to work hard and participate in things. My salary already went up after 6 months because my work ethic was recognized.

Listen to what your employees want changed and really consider these and make sure to compensate your employees as the company becomes more profitable. You've always been all about the employee, so please never lose sight of that.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly review your experience as a team member at TMTC. We very much appreciate it and want you to know how valuable this feedback is for both us and our ... More

The Mark Travel Corporation Photos