The Market

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Joesph E Pressutti

A good job to keep busy while going to school. Make great friends

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Mount Pleasant, MI

ProsCo-workers, laid back environment, friendly most of the time, people have your back

ConsBad communication between upper management to team leaders and members

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open communication lines, be more professional

Very good at the beginning, but quickly turned into the opposite

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsThe people writing the schedule were always very good at making sure you got time off you needed for personal issues, such as school, dr appts, etc. One of the other things I enjoyed was being about to somewhat show your creativity, unlike alot of the other cookie cutter box grocery stores around these days.

ConsThey never seemed to notice the hard work that I did. It was very hard to work for someone that just seemed to act like the work was magically finished, not even saying so much as thank you. In the 2 years that I worked there, 4 bakery managers were hired and fired, when there were at least a couple of people that had been working there for a long time were never even given the opportunity to prove themselves. The majority of the people they hired never even knew how to bake a cake or pastry without burning it or leaving it raw. If you would try to go to the management and explain what was going on or how you felt, they would listen, but nothing ever changed. If the store is the same as it was 6 monthes ago, I would not reccommend anyone to even apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. If we tell you that a manager is stealing product every morning, maybe you should look into it. Treat your employees with respect, afterall, we are the ones trying to help build your business into a better place.

A good place to work if you work hard.

Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsPrivate company, not a corporation, very tightly-knit community, everybody knows you and you know everyone. Management is very helpful in helping you work around your school schedule because they even believe that it is more important than working, because it is. The store is centered on helping every customer in all ways possible and we don't just fake the friendlyness to our customers, it is genuine and that's why we continue to receive new customers and many returning, simply due to the fact that the people know the extra money is worth it. An independent grocery store is rare these days, but worth it.

ConsThe pay begins very low for part-timer workers, nearly minimum wage. I started by cleaning up the meat department on four-hour night shifts, which was very relaxed and easy work and I did a great job. I was moved to the front-end as a bagger and obviously this was much more "by-the-book", however I noticed a huge lack of respect from the management as person and they seemed to lack confidence in my ability. This improved as time went on and I am now happy with it, but the communication still lacks from the senior management as to policy changes or events we need to know about. Many people in my position remain dissatisfied, I think I am content with it because I work extremely hard to do everything I can and I sincerely care about my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLetting me know I am doing a good job at least every now and then would be a huge morale boost since now I am given no feedback whatsoever on my performance. I know for a fact it isn't bad because it's obvious I am a great worker and I would be torn to pieces by the management if I was doing poorly, but a compliment shouldn't have to be begged for. A promotion to a job that takes some brains like being a grocery clerk or placing orders would be nice, but I still lack some experience I suppose.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy work, average management, good scheduling

Service Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsIt's pretty easy work and the people that work there are pretty cool. If you are in school, they do a great job of scheduling around it. They offer 2 weeks of paid vacation and will generally always grant you days off if requested.

ConsSome managers aren't friendly and never say when you are doing a good job. There is somewhat of a divide between management and employees, a lot of condescension occurs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe friendly

Worked for The Market? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Market reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Market CEO Joesph E Pressutti. All reviews posted anonymously by The Market employees.