The Marketing Store Worldwide

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014

3.9

Mark Landolt

A great family to be part of...

I have been working at The Marketing Store Worldwide full-time

Pros

Like the title says, working at The Marketing Store is like joining an awesome family. We work hard, play hard and at the end of the day deliver great work for great clients. This is the agency where everybody knows your name and you can create your own opportunities if you have the will to do so. Working along side such great talent makes you want to be better at what you do and that is reason enough to want to walk through these doors every day.

Cons

Like most corporations, communication is always an area where this company could improve. While I believe Senior Management make themselves available for questions and discussion, there is an opportunity to share more about the strategic direction of the company. Many times you will see or hear about discussions on this very topic yet never get an update.

Remember that just because your senior leaders know what is going on does not necessarily mean the rest of the company feels the same way. Closed door meetings among Senior Management without updates to where we are heading or how we are doing only lead to assumptions and miscommunication.

Competitive hourly rate for interns

Current Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Marketing Store Worldwide as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very relaxed work environment with an absence of creative egos around the office. The work-life balance is very attractive with some nights going late, but overall I'm out by just shy of 6pm. Upper management is very open to conversation about your performance to keep expectations in check which helps everyone produce quality work.

Cons

At times, you may not have anything to do if you're between accounts and can't jump right on to another one for the limbo time.

Fun, outgoing people and dedicated leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Marketing Store Worldwide

Pros

There were a lot of people who want to help you succeed and are fun to be around. There were leaders who cared about the well-bring of their employees and were open to ideas.

Cons

Sometimes could get intense during deadlines, with long hours. Many full-time positions are untenable without first freelancing for a year or more.

Overall, good job. Would encourage more interaction between departments. I felt a bit stuck in my "clique."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Culture

I worked at The Marketing Store Worldwide as an intern

Pros

Great environment to be apart of. Others are always willing to lend a hand. A culture of fun and easy-going people makes it conducive to being creative and enjoying your work. Awesome location and beautiful view in the heart of the Loop.

Cons

The commute can be a con if you are coming from the suburbs. Living in the city would make things much more feasible.

Friendly environment filled with creative and dedicated people.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Marketing Store Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great after hours activities such as game night and monthly "Distillery" events.

People know what they are doing and like doing it.

Beautifully designed office space.

Cons

Communications between departments has room for improvement.

There is a slight rivalry between employees who work on different floors.

Keep focusing on morale and improve communications between teams. This is a great place to work overall.

Great Environment but lack of interaction

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Marketing Store Worldwide as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great environment
    Always free snacks and drinks (sometimes beers)
    Nice people
    Very innovative agency

Cons

Lack of interactions among employees

Challenging and creative environment with smart, diverse and talented people

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Marketing Store Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In a nutshell, I've never been happier at a place of employment--and it has everything to do with the people. The people who work at The Marketing Store are some of the nicest, smartest, most talented I've ever had the privilege to work with. Additionally, we work for some of the best and biggest brands in the world--so the work is both challenging and rewarding. The company itself is privately held, which means that the focus is on the work for our clients and our people instead of being beholden to stockholders (which is unusual in the agency game these days). The benefits are amazing: a 401k program (with matching which is fully-vested on day one), profit-sharing, healthcare coverage starting first day, Global Desk Swap program (the ability to take on temporary roles at one of the 12 offices The Marketing Store operates worldwide), childcare/healthcare flex spending, free drinks and snacks. We also have new sunny offices in downtown Chicago (the Loop), steps from State street, the Art Institute, Millennium Park, commuter trains, El, etc. An office lounge with video games, foosball table, kegerator and wine fridge. And then there's all the fun--summer outings, holiday parties, community service. It's a great place to work.

Cons

There have been some major changes at the agency in the past few years that caused a fair amount of disruption including moving the Global Headquarters and Chicago office downtown from its location in the suburbs, and entirely new leadership and internal structure. The changes have been tough for some of our employees who live further distances west and south, and the impending changes (for nearly a year) put a ding in morale for a while. However, since the move the agency has really come together, and we've also made some great new hires. The overall feel is that we have lots of momentum and great things are happening.

Stay the course, but don't forget to continue to communicate and continue to find ways to get feedback from employees, and value/act on that feedback.

The company that smiles like a Cheshire cat

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Marketing Store Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Working with a great brand like McDonald's doesn't hurt your portfolio. Energetic environment.

Cons

While the company checks off all the boxes to get top rankings as best places to work, they haven't checked on the boxes on the golden rule. People protect their territories with a vengeance. You can work there for years and still feel like a blip.

All the money spent on beer, soda, wine and perks should be spent on team building.

The Marketing Store Worldwide was a great home for my summer residency.

Former Employee - Marketing Strategy Resident  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Strategy Resident in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Marketing Store Worldwide as an intern for less than a year

Pros

One of the best things about working at The Marketing Store Worldwide is the collaborative environment. There are many assignments that require cross-functional interaction, and it really helps you learn and create the best solutions for clients.

Cons

Depending on your desired career aspirations, it could be a con that The Marketing Store Worldwide is a highly promotional agency. The company does a lot of work focused on creating specific types of solutions for its clients instead of providing more holistic support.

I genuinely enjoy going to work in the morning

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Lombard, IL

Pros

great coworkers, great brands to work on, great company culture. office is moving downtown so future looks bright

Cons

HR doesnt communicate well about people leaving or changes being made if they think people may be upset. going above and beyond not always recognized well enough

the HR department cant be run by one person and a consultant

Worked for The Marketing Store Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!