The Mars Agency Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
3.1
Ken Barnett

Pros
  • Work/life balance - managers flexible when you have to come in late/leave early (in 5 reviews)

• There are a handful of really great people at Mars (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any ad agency, it can get busy at times, but there is also lots of work-life balance days too (in 3 reviews)

• The upper management is too top heavy (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Overall, a great family company

I worked at The Mars Agency

Pros

- people are incredibly nice and there doesn't seem to be the ego of other large agencies

- work-life balance is perfect: supervisors are extremely understanding if you have to leave early for a doctors appointment, etc. and overall the job is very conducive to family life. This could in part be due to the high number of women in leadership positions

- impressive Fortune 500 clients

Cons

- The location - Southfield, Michigan is no Chicago or New York (if you like a smaller town though, this might not be a con for you)

- Sometimes there is a lack of creativity. Brainstorms produce very creative ideas, but these unfortunately don't always transfer to the final concept.

Great place to work. Loose atmosphere.

I worked at The Mars Agency

Pros

great team, great people, great atmosphere

Cons

The pay in areas not as competetive

3. I'm not an agency person, but one of the better places in Metro Detroit Ad Word

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great creative
    Great resources
    Fast paced and high energy
    KEN Barnett - owner cares and wants to improve his Mother's Agency
    MONTHLY BREAKFASTS & RANDOM $100 handouts for success!

Cons

Mostly catty AE'S and Senior AE'S....MANAGEMENT ALWAYS treated me well...it was the jealousy of other peers and "team members" which forced me to quit.

Seriously one girl, who is now a manager, was so jealous of how much better I was doing on her old account that she started a rumor about me sleeping with co-workers AND that I was getting a divorce!!! I dealt with it and tried to professionally handle it for over 10 months but with the job pressure and her negativity, ALONG with other jealous females I left ASAIC!

Advice to Management

Fire the trouble makers and keep doing the great incentives!

Cattiness among all levels of the lazy, non-productive employees is forcing the good ones out!

Some of the smartest strategic people I've ever worked with

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. People. People. People. Among the smartest, most strategic and collaborative people I've ever worked with. A great drive to succeed and deliver the best work for clients. Great creative talent. Great strategy team. Incredible shopper marketing team. People on the ground in each market where major retailers are headquartered. Also nice environment, coffee bar, snacks every day, nice "Friday breakfast" once a month. And the agency does a lot for the community. People are passionate about that.

Cons

CEO yells at people on regular basis, including dropping plethora of "F-bombs." Everyone will get their turn.

Advice to Management

Stop yelling. That would be it.

Good place to work, company constantly tries to improve

Current Employee - Director, Client Leadership in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Director, Client Leadership in Southfield, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good location (suburb in metro Detroit), typical agency set up with beer/wine every friday and every town hall meeting, team building community services, lots of good and knowledgeable ppl who output great work, and constant effort to evolve processes and how business is done to ensure the agency stays on the cutting edge and is able to continue to offer clients relevancy in a constantly changing industry landscape. nice amount of PTO but ask for more when you come in or you'll get the standard 2 weeks. and no one minds you using your PTO. not a slave driving type of organization like other marketing agencies i've worked at. i'm able to maintain a good work life balance.

Cons

pay is a little on the lower side compared to industry standards, but intangibles like being able to work from home in bad weather or with a sick kid offset the lower pay. there are also some remnants of it being a family company since the agency was started by the CEO's mother.

Advice to Management

keep offering added value to employees and praising all the wins. it makes a difference when management recognizes the good job done by everyone who makes stuff happen to get the agency into 1 of the top 3 spots for shopper marketing agency rankings.

Company prides themselves on overworking you

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is nice and they really do have some nice perks. Coffee bar, daily snacks, lunches provides often, and other miscellaneous perks. Most people are nice to work with and the company has standardized training programs which has helped with entry level turnover.

Cons

There are favorites and it is very obvious. Senior leadership is rude and often unprofessional. Company thinks all employees should be working overtime and you are scolded if you are only working the 8:30-5 hours. You are basically told that you won't get by with the "standard 37.5 hours." I am going to flip if I sit at one more all company meeting where Ken or Rob yell at the people not working overtime.

Advice to Management

If we truly have that much work to do, hire more people.

The Mars Agency Response

Jan 5, 2015global ceo

dear current 8+ year employee. I feel perplexed by your comments but I have a solution. I will pay you to leave the company. I want to give you a check to leave.
    But in return I ask that you do two
    ... More

It's a great place with a good family / work life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Southfield, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome people.
    Huge talent.
    Small agency atmosphere.
    Large agency dependability.

Cons

Lower salaries.
    Unfair previous reputation of years past.
    Not much else I can say about the company, but I have to reach the word minimum.

Advice to Management

Continue the track your headed in, it's making a large difference!

Learned a lot but put in a box with no way out.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer/New Business Coordinator in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer/New Business Coordinator in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Laid back and child friendly. Great co-workers, flex hours, free breakfast provided the first of every month. Nice work atmosphere, easily accessible to to restaurants and freeway, able to where comfortable and casual clothing to work.

Cons

The company does not value the loyalty of long-time employees that have been loyal for over 10 years. The upper management is too top heavy. Management does not value the opinions of the employees. No place for artist to advance to unless you are a favorite of the manager.

Advice to Management

To encourage their employees with opportunities to learn with cutting-edge training, motivation to what to work late hours and incentives.

Vascillates from no process to too much

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

Co-workers are supportive and fun. Local office offers good work-life flexibility.

Cons

No structure. No growth potential. No career path. No standardized process. No training. No structure. Poor creative team. No managment support. Clients are king and if you don't click with them you're out. No 401K match. CEO writes in rambling, run-on sentences. Learn to use punctuation, Ken!

Advice to Management

Revamp your creative team. Value your employees. Offer some training in basic agency stuff for those that have no experience. Sink or swim is not a viable option.

Trying to be better, but still needs improvement

I have been working at The Mars Agency

Pros

Most people are nice or at least appear to be
    Compensation is fair if you are an external candidate
    Town Hall meetings
    Digital initiatives
    Transparency regarding some of the company's fiances

Cons

Lack of Diversity.....the agency is trying to become more multicultural but you can count the minorities.
    High level of nepotism....but this is expected considering it's a private family business
    Some of the positive Glassdoor reviews of summer 2013 were written to overcome the negative reviews from employees.

Advice to Management

Nobody's perfect and it appears that management is trying to do better, which is a plus. Just please talk and treat all people with respect, from those in office services to SVP's.