The Media Kitchen

Not yet rated.

Barry Lowenthal

Senior Strategist

Senior Strategist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI've worked at The Media Kitchen for almost 4 years and I can honestly say it has been one of the best experiences of my media career. If you are looking for a place that has creativity, innovation, and filled with nice people - this is it.

The Employees: Have been trained to be humble, not take advantage of the industry, want a career in media - not just a job.

The Senior Management: Encourage you to grow and push for success.

The Relationships: Media Kitchen has become a family to me. There is a reason why media partners say Media Kitchen employees are some of the best/ most appreciative to work with.

ConsIt is a small agency - if you are a slacker or want people to pick up work for you.... this is not the place for you. (I think this is really a pro and allows you to show your talent...)

Great place to work!

Strategist (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proscollaborative
    anyone can make a difference
    mgt really listens to the staff
    lots of opportunities

Consnot many. it's a great place to work and management is really attentive.

Advice to Senior Managementthe space can be spruced up

RE:“It's everything you hated about high school”

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are generally nice and very smart (the top 2 criteria you need to get the job). The culture is extremely cliquey, so for those of you coming right out of college, this is a good transition.

ConsI give many props to "Chief Truth Officer". I couldn't have said it better myself.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's everything you hated about high school

Chief Truth Officer (Current Employee)

ProsGenerally the people are all super nice. And there's always lots of free beer. But let's be honest isn't there free beer at all agencies?

ConsThe agency is more or less run by three directors, including the top hiring manager, who have the ear of the president. If you're part of this click, you're in good standing, but if you're not BEWARE and consider leaving immediately cause you're career there is over. There is a reason the agency has fired so many people the past years, and it's these three. Let me stress that again, the agency fires a lot of its employees and it's rarely due to performance, it's because of these catty three.

So the question is, if they fire so many people are they just bad at hiring or are they bad managers? If you interview there, you should ask them.

Management callously and proudly underpays entry level employees. If you are new to the industry, do NOT start your career here. A lot of pride is taken in keeping margins razor thin, so even if you think the agency is fun, it's not worth the 30% more you'll make elsewhere. Management cleverly will then promote junior staff after a year while maintaining this salary incongruity. Don't settle for less than your market value. The training program is a total joke and will not prepare you for your career, rather, it's just a selling point to clients.

At the agency, you are forced to buy the agency's proprietary trading desk, a great double-dip for the agency but a cruddy thing to do to its clients. Plenty of employees have tried to buy other offerings, but are told they cannot. Lip service is given to this not being the case and all in the spirit of transparency, but don't be fooled. Employees and clients BEWARE.

There is a reason the agency has not won any major business in a long, long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up

Doesn't compensate hard work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Teams outside of your own are accessible and easy to get to know. This is definitely a strong difference from other agencies (read: social)
    - Good benefits package with flexible vacation time

Cons- Recognition is given to people with the biggest accounts. If you are not on an account that is spending millions, you'll be overlooked no matter how stellar your work is.
    - The paid search team is not viewed as part of the agency. In fact, many employees ask who the search team is at functions, thinking they are moochers trying to get free food.
    - Work isn't challenging or engaging.
    - There are cliques within teams and if you are not part of it, you'll be overlooked for promotion or more responsibility.
    - Raises are set levels along with promotions, with no room for negotiation. This makes it feel as though it's not earned, but given.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, not what you hear from your favorites. If you manage multiple accounts, spread the wealth. Your presence does wonders. Compensate according to work ethic rather than years of service.

Perfect place for energetic self-starters

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Most of the individuals who work here are very sharp, and there are tons of additional opportunities for those who seek them to learn more and gain experience outside of the confines of their role.
    - Great company culture: fun, energetic, work-life balance, you name it.
    - Exciting collaborative opportunities available with KBS+, Spies and Assassins, and Varick Media Management.
    - Any employees who are struggling to keep up with their workload are quickly worked over and replaced by management. Very impressive when compared to some of the stagnation present in large agencies.

Cons- Less formal training than other large agencies, often those who come in after working elsewhere have more fully developed executional skills.
    - New projects will not he handed to you here - you should look to design and implement them yourself. The agency responds and rewards those who stand out among the crowd.
    - Not the most luxurious benefits package.

Advice to Senior Management- The talented people are there - focus on process.

Lot's of fun events, but not worth it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMany of the people who work at TMK are awesome. Some really care about you and are really talented. There are many fun events (Karaoke, DJ Fridays, Thanksgiving Dunch, etc.).

ConsAlthough there are many fun events, there is a lack of employee stability. Many employees are unsure of their status at TMK. Over the past year, many Chefs, have quit, left, been put on probation, or fired. The revolving door at TMK is alarming. The amount of people leaving and new people coming in is NOT proportionate to the size of the company, and is not consistent with other agencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt which point do you realize that perhaps the problem isn't the lack of qualified employees, but rather a problem with management.

From 2007-2009 the people and the vibe was INCREDIBLE!

Senior Digital Strategist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI've worked at a few agencies in my time - the people I met and worked with at TMK were amazing. They were genuinely nice, caring, fun, hardworking, and pleasant to be around. While they agency at large was still trying to figure out the structure, we worked as a team to figure things out.

Cons- Got too caught up in "start-up's" and eventually it started feeling like we were working at the NYSE and not an agency
    - Sr leadership stopped caring about the people and started caring more about lining their pockets by starting in-agency network; teams were forced to put this new "company" on all plans
    - All the great people left

Great summer internship - unpaid

Media Planning Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are very friendly. Great place to work during the summer because there are many free events to attend and free presents.

ConsQuite a lot of down time. Need to be proactive in asking for work or else they're so busy they forget you're there. Didn't get to participate a whole lot, but I definitely learned a lot about the company culture and how the industry works.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide interns with more hands on experience and not just simple administrative tasks.

Not a bad place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople around the office are friendly, laid back and smart.
    You'll definitely make friends and meet some great people.
    The floorplan is set up in a way that promotes interaction with co-workers.

ConsThe pay is far from great.
    High turnover which leads to other problems.
    Time wasting inefficiencies.
    Employees who don't feel valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is great at highlighting agency strengths but not so great at addressing (and fixing) weaknesses.

Focus on retaining talent and don't gloss over everyday challenges that employees face.

Worked for The Media Kitchen? Contribute to the Community!