The Melting Pot

Updated December 16, 2014
3.6

The Melting Pot CEO Mark Johnston
Mark Johnston

Pros
  • You make pretty good money because it's at least (in 7 reviews)

• can make a lot of money as a server (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Same as any restaurant I suppose, late nights, management can be manipulative depending on which one you work at (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, A lot of prep, stressful when their are long pushes, servers are always fighting and yelling (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A great job to have during college

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at The Melting Pot

Pros

You build relationships with coworkers because teamwork is an absolute necessity
    You build relationships with guests because dining experiences are more intimate. I had lots of regulars.
    Pretty good money for a serving job
    They often promote management from within

Cons

There's a ton of side work compared to other restaurant jobs

Fondue me baby!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Melting Pot full-time

Pros

Managers are easy to work with. Customers are great to serve. Food is delicious. Wine and spirits training is provided.

Cons

Fluctuation in income (nature of service industry) due to varied volumes of business. Some inconsistency in rules and regulations. Some heavy favoritism, but mostly based on performance.

Improve marketing and advertising of specials. Last minute events don't bring in the business they should.

My experience at the Melting Pot was amazing; I learned a lot from the advising part of the restaurant.

Former Employee - Busser in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Busser in Torrance, CA

I worked at The Melting Pot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff was awesome - majority was respectable - and management of restaurant was on par.

Cons

The policies and procedures were a pain to follow and most of the other employees did not cooperate with these procedures.

Worked there for almost 2 years and I've never worked with such a great group of people!

I worked at The Melting Pot

Pros

Fun environment, easy going management, and decent money!

Cons

Kitchen got disorganized at times, a lot of recipes to remember and it takes a little more time to adjust than most restaurants

Decent job for students

Former Employee - Server in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I worked at The Melting Pot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

get 50% off food when you dine in, get to learn how to make fondue and chocolate desserts, great employees , good managers, good location, busy on weekends and some weekdays.

Cons

inconsistent money but thats anywhere your a server

cross train employees to help with hosts and bar.

overall great experience

Former Employee - Hospitality Specialist
    Former Employee - Hospitality Specialist

I worked at The Melting Pot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

amazing manager, amazing benefits, and overall good hours for someone starting out. Easy to work with staff just because they were just great people. Everyone always wanted to help everyone.

Cons

other employees would NEVER clean desk area. Irritating but minor issue. Personally never offered me any promotions and offer training at the bar but then never provided any.

Hoboken, NJ Owners are Awful

Former Employee - Server in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Server in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at The Melting Pot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You make pretty good money because it's at least $50 a person and if there is a party of 6 or more 20% gratuity is automatically added

Cons

Owners are spoiled 20-something year old brats whose parents bought them restaurants. The owner lives in the W hotel in Hoboken.

QUIT

Worth the money?

Current Employee - Waitress in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Waitress in Columbia, MD

I have been working at The Melting Pot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

quick cash, guaranteed good tips usually, easy menu to memorize

Cons

long hours, unprofessional management, harassment, negative work environment, rather have co-workers who have drug problems then an honest employee. Ridiculous amount of side-work. If you don't catch on to the side-work you could be there late every night. Forced us to work extended hours, no breaks, sometimes didn't feed us during long hours. favoritism with co-workers.

The managers to actually trust the staff they hire. Give positive feedback to employees not just the negative. Don't treat people unfairly. And pranks are completely unprofessional no one can take you seriously.

Been working in the melting pot for over 7 years

Current Employee - Server Assistant/Manager/Trainer in Westwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Server Assistant/Manager/Trainer in Westwood, NJ

I have been working at The Melting Pot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can make lots of money with some dedication. There is a learning curve but once you get it you can easily make 150 dollars a night. The managment is excellent and really want you to make money and be happy. will work with you and you get a very nice discount when you go to eat.

Cons

The hours can be very long but so are any serving job. Some times you dont get a lot of tables doing a lot of food and can affect your tip but it is what it is. Overall no complaints

Keep it up

Poor management, at best.

I worked at The Melting Pot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm not sure if there is a single benefit of working here that is not directly coupled with a negative. Although the company itself seems great, it is franchised. This means very little room to grow because you can really only move up within your franchise unless you're in with the "boy's club" that run the business. They also do very poorly at vetting their General Managers and ensuring their employees are taken care of.

Cons

Little to no growth potential. EXTREMELY poor upper management. Problems range from embezzling to stealing liquor from the restaurant's bar during work. Any employee or manager who says anything about the former problems will lose their job. I've watched it happen time and time again. I'm not sure how every store works, but I know that with mine, there is very little room to disagree and you are condemned for being good at your job. So if lying, cheating, and stealing are traits you value, you've found the company for you!

The Melting Pot Photos