The Met

Creative minds unite

Former Employee - Production Supervisor
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor

I worked at The Met

Pros

Opportunity for creative growth and expression within the company. Excellent team building through project planning and execution. Amazing staff, upper management and performers.

Cons

Depending on the department, there can be some micro management challenges. Defintely nothing that a confident knowledgeable employee could not handle.

Downton Abbey with More Art

I worked at The Met part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beautiful space, amazing exhibitions at a moment's notice.

Cons

The work culture's dichotomy is completely off-putting.

Look beyond NYU and Columbia for hiring.

Work with the best . . . but not for the most pay

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Met as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Highly professional colleagues, high standards for all products, nice perks like staff cafeteria and access to all of the exhibits.

Cons

Very hierarchical and male-dominated; lots of egotistical specialists to cope with, low pay, and lots of over-eager interns willing to work for nothing.

Bring some of your freelancers in house: quality of output suffers when staff is over-taxed; promote more frequently; reward good work with raises or other incentives, and put more women in positions of power.

The Met as a whole is good at prioritizing issues between the security department and the various art departments.

Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I worked at The Met full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned so much about art history working in security here! Another pro is that you can get out of it what you want- most of my co-workers in security could balance their lives as working artists and musicians while working here part time. Also- the benefits are excellent, and salary raises do happen every two years. Lots of overtime available. And, it's pretty darn easy to tell people to not touch paintings, and stand around.

Cons

It has a horrible salary to start, if you're in security. Not enough to live in NYC or the surrounding boroughs unless you want to live in an attic in a weird part of town. Your supervisors (if in security) are not very supportive when you actually do your job. You can't take things personally, because really, it is just handling conflicts and passing it to someone higher up. Also, you can ruin your feet working this job, for real. I had pinched nerves in the balls of my feet almost immediately. Use the free podiatry.

I believe that in the security department you could hire supervisors that are decent people.

Great place to work if you are in a core area. Less desirable/more challenging if you are in a support area.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Met full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong missions; world class institution; great benefits; amazing defined pension contribution program; exposure to 5000 years of world history and art.

Cons

Political; juvenile/unprofessional behavior from department heads is tolerated; lack of respect from the curator community to other museum functional areas. Lack of equal opportunity to apply and be considered for open positions. Missions and objectives across divisions are disconnected at times.

Coach the curators to embrace change and the evolution of the museum, Encourage them to respect other support areas. Coach same on disrespectful and juvenile behavior.

Great

I have been working at The Met

Pros

it was really great to work here even though they didn't pay us for all of our hard work

Cons

It is a very challenging position to get and then it was hard to keep up with all the work

Outside of pay, probably the best possible retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Met part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice environment, obviously, working at a world class museum. Most Sales people are nice to talk to and supervisors are supportive, if not always on top of things. Flexible if you're a student. There's not a ton of heavy lifting or hustling around. You can get a commission by selling memberships and it's not a hard-sell situation at all. There are gallery talks associated with each new exhibition, so you can keep up with what's going on if you choose to.

Cons

Part-time always/overtime never. After a coworker stole a watch a while back retail people have been forced to wear red lanyards (almost literally a scarlet letter) and use store-issued clear bags to bring our things into work. There's high turnover, voluntary and forced, probably to keep wages low and scare the workers straight. Very low morale at times.

Met, an amazing and beautiful place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager of Merchandising Systems in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager of Merchandising Systems in New York, NY

I have been working at The Met full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Offers exceptional work experience, with amazing people and environment. A place that makes me excited about work even on a Sunday evening. Great value adding projects and challenges keeps you going, engaged in the company and excited about what you do. Best work/life balance. (All this from someone who is nearing 16 years there).

Cons

I can't find a single con. Believe me, the Met is a fantastic place to learn, contribute and grow.

Management is doing a great job. Always striving to improve.

He's been there for many years and I think he has done a great job.

I worked at The Met

Pros

I think the opportunity to work in one of the world's greatest art museums is the best reason to work there. Working there usually gets you free admission to almost all museums in New York. Employees not working on Monday get to visit on Monday when the museum is closed to the general public. Employees also get to see previews of new exhbibitions before they open to the general public. The Met Store grants a very generous discount to employees, especially during staff sales. They offer part-timers the opportunity to buy into their health insurance plan should they need it. They have very nice career-related skills workshops. Finally, they have a decent and inexpensive cafeteria.

Cons

Like almost all non-profit art institutions, the pay for most positions is far behind what those same positions average at for-profit companies. In my area, I think there could be better communication between associates and those working in upper management.

Provide more opportunities for communication between departments even if they have no relation to each other.