The Methodist Hospitals

1. Methodist is a nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

I have been working at The Methodist Hospitals

Pros

Management is helpful and very understanding in most department. They are very family oriented and the benefits are average for the area.

Cons

We are overworked due to very low staffing levels in order to keep overheads low. As a safety net hospitals we treat all patients no matter their ability to pay.

2. Left for better opportunity

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at The Methodist Hospitals

Pros

Good teamwork on unit, flexible scheduling, great health benefits including vision

Cons

Lack of leadership, short staffed, lack of ancillary staff

Advice to Management

It became apparent that we had an absentee manager for our department. It would have been better if we had a leader. Managers should be invested in their respective departments.

3. Not as good as past years

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Gary, IN

I worked at The Methodist Hospitals part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Methodist pays nurses a competitive wage compared to other hospitals in the area. I liked my co-workers of almost 14 years. The hospital is trying to work towards magnate status, so is only hiring RN staff nurses.
    '

Cons

Management can be shortsighted in the persuit of their goals. Some unit managers expect you to live for the job, as they are not very caring of your rest time away from work. Also it's hard working short staffed, and with equipment that is less than durable. Short supplies are also an issue. Information is also not shared as it should be.

Advice to Management

Management has a hard job trying to keep solvent in this day and age. But they must remember that they are taking care of people. You need the proper amount of staff, supplies, and good equipment to give exemplary care. And learn to keep faith with employees.

5. Good

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Gary, IN

I have been working at The Methodist Hospitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice staff, good pay for nurses

Cons

overworked, no breaks, not clean

Advice to Management

need working equipment, need equipment, need breaks.

6. An okay place to work

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at The Methodist Hospitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good shift differentials, and it is easy to move around into different areas, also

Cons

Poor staffing poorly run organization

7. Methodist Hospital Experience Northwest Indiana

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at The Methodist Hospitals full-time

Pros

Diversity, Teamwork, Genuine Friendliness, Competitive pay, Opportunities. I'm surprised I waited so long to apply!

Cons

Staffing Shortages sometimes interfere with Best Practices, Training/Orientation. Some employees pretend to value diversity but do not.

Advice to Management

Active effort to have middle management develop & encourage diverse faces who report to them. 2001 Secretary of Health & Human Services study about diversity in Healthcare entitled "Missing in Action"

8. the grass isn't always greener--it's just a different type of grass

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at The Methodist Hospitals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

best benefits (by far) of area hospitals

Cons

disconnect between chiefs and Indians

Advice to Management

spend a few full days doing floor staff jobs before judging their effieciency

9. I absolutely LOVE my patients, but I HATE that the patient care has become a business!!

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at The Methodist Hospitals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We are the ONLY hospital in northwest indiana area that will treat and or care for those will no insurance!!!

Cons

Just like the other hospitals in the area.....Methodist is losing their focus! The want to become a BUSINESS instead of a PATIENT centered care hospital!!

Advice to Management

remember the community!!!! remember the patient!!! THE PATIENT CARE IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT!!!! THE TRUE COMPASSION OF CARING!!!!!!!!!!!! not how much money you made at the end of the day :(

10. Terrible and such a drag. I

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

I worked at The Methodist Hospitals

Pros

Benefits and compensation package was great, opportunities for advancement were great as well. Training for the company is great as well.

Cons

The work flow is not evenly distributed. Department often works short-handed as well. It seems like many revisions needs to be made to this hospital.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to take a few more classes on management etiquette and how to speak to patients in a healthcare environment.

11. Change and challenge on a daily basis. And management & directors are there to help if needed.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse II in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Methodist Hospitals

Pros

Any issue presented to our director, she is able to resolve, quickly and painlessly. She is a master at uniting a very diverse group, and it appears she does it with great ease.. The caring comes from the top on down to the the person who is always smiling even though he has only one functioning arm to mop the floors. He never complains but always has a smile for everyone.

Cons

The weak link appears to be human resources, who is not humane and not very resourceful. If it had not been for the wisdom of my director, and knowing that historically Methodist has been loyal to their employees who have been loyal to them, it would be quite easy to move on down the road.

Advice to Management

Management has historically been very flexible and very accommodating to place an employee where he/she will contribute the most to the unit and there by making the employee happy & productive & more amenable to being flexible when staff and patient ratio are an issue & when employee health causes scheduling to be tweaked. Staff knows and appreciates that management seems very tuned in to individual concerns and appreciates the little nuances
    that makes us aware that someone is listening & interested, knowing that personal touch can make the difference in even one patient's stay. Many patients have asked if we enjoy our job, saying "yes," they have commented, "we can tell because everyone is so helpful and wants to help us and smiles.."

RSS Feed </> Embed