The Mosaic Company (Washington)

www.themosaiccompany.com
  www.themosaiccompany.com

The Mosaic Company (Washington) Reviews

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014
4.2

Megan Deans

Motivated? Self-Initiated? Passionate? Enjoy Helping Clients? Mosaic is Your Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Mosaic Company (Washington) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is all ears--they listen well. Rather than sit on their laurels as one of the best companies to work for, Mosaic is looking down the road to locate their next client to help. And you get to be a part of that process. If you can look at situations at a utility or oil & gas company and see where the cogs are clogging or the wheels aren't working as well as they could, you get to be innovative and creative and part of the process to make things better. Great satisfaction!

Cons

This is not a company for people who lack motivation, insight or need constant reassurance. It's not for complainers who are great at criticism, but fall short of ever providing answers, or even thoughts of how to make things better. You probably should be an alpha and know how to work with alphas--you can be the dominant key in a chord, or a part of a major chord that blends with all the dominants.

As you grow, stick to the core values and beliefs that got you to the top of the consulting heap in the first place. Mosaic stands out, and most of that attention belongs to the employees who make that company happen. Continue to be generous--that also sets you apart and attracts the best people to the company.

Oct 7, 2014Vice President, HR & Recruiting

Thank you for the positive feedback. We work hard to really listen to our team and regularly solicit input and suggestions through employee surveys, meetings, and ongoing communications. We are ... More

Amazing place to work - worthy of all the awards, positive recognition and more!

I have been working at The Mosaic Company (Washington) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Mosaic Company is unique in sincerely caring about employees which is a rarity in the workplace. Mosaic has a tight culture it has maintained and continues to work on with employees spread across the country. Mosaic's leadership solicits, listens to, and takes action on employee feedback. As an employee of the company, I know someone - from the top, to the bottom - will take the time to sincerely listen, authentically care, and do what they can to help and support me. At Mosaic, I actually feel that I have a voice and I am more than just a number in a company. I frequently talk to friends and relatives about companies they work for and I continue to be so grateful to work for such a generous and amazing company.
    Transparency and grace are words used and practiced regularly at Mosaic. Even through a high level of growth and change, the company has stood firm on its core values and branding and has not wavered from its goal of having meaningful and valuable work for employees . Mosaic's CEO & owners work tirelessly in making Mosaic the BEST company possible for employees and clients. Much of this work is behind the scenes and practiced as servant leadership. Mosaic has a strong focus on community service and every year makes generous contributions locally, nationally, and globally. In addition to a generous compensation package,, the company offers paid community service hours.
    The CEO, Megan Deans, is a woman that I am proud to work for and admire her strength, perseverance, leadership, and passion for ongoing improvement. I have seen her put others before herself time after time, and she is a great example of the servant leadership. Like many of the employees across the organization, I have been given opportunities at Mosaic that I would have not had at other companies (especially larger ones). The company consistently recognizes talent, hard work, potential, and loyalty. I cannot say enough great things about the company and hope to retire one day with Mosaic.

Cons

As a current employee, I find it disappointing to see former employees use the culture, core values, and branding against the company. Mosaic is not perfect, and has never proclaimed to be. This is actually a great strength at Mosaic - the company allows for humanity and rather than having a culture based on fear, it encourages mistakes as lessons learned in the interest of achieving excellence.
    In our roles at Mosaic, we are given a lot of room and freedom to come up with ideas and solutions to positively impact our clients, which is a great thing for someone who doesn't like to work in an environment that has a written process or procedure for every scenario. I get to think outside of the box, work closely with customers, think on my feet, and work on challenging problems. If you are someone who doesn't like working in an environment with a good amount of ambiguity, travel, or change, be honest with yourself, as Mosaic may not be for you.

Keep up the fantastic work! Keep focusing on pushing to continue to reach excellence - the majority of employees are fiercely loyal to the company and recognize how fortunate they are, but you can't always make everyone happy.

Good for rookies, but not a place to advance or do cutting-edge work.

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Mosaic Company (Washington) as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Mosaic has some fine people working there, and some really hard-working solid performers.

Cons

Mosaic wants to compete with large consulting companies like Accenture and Deloitte, but just doesn't have the resources to play at that level. A lack of processes and methodology puts less experienced personnel in a tough spot. Pay is lower than you'd expect for a 100% travel job, and projects are staffed with whoever is available...if your skills and background aren't a good fit, you're expected to fake your way through with no concern for what the client was sold.

You're selling expertise, so start hiring for it. You can't claim to be "experts" and then hire people who've never done the job.

Oct 13, 2014Vice President, HR & Recruiting

Mosaic is a company with great fluidity in order to be as flexible as we can be with our clients. In fact, they count on it—our solutions are tailor-made, and it’s what distinguishes us from other ... More

A Company That Visualizes, Believes and Makes Things Happen

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Pros

People who work here feel passionate about helping clients and helping each other. Regardless of your position at Mosaic, you are treated as a valuable employee and your opinions are heard. People genuinely like each other. If you are self-initiating, you can learn a ton of information about the company and about the utility and oil & gas industry by reading the training/education materials on an internal portal. The benefits are good and the opportunities are there. It's not a place for wallflowers--you have to have that drive in your belly.

Cons

While technology minimizes distances, Mosaic employees are working at many different sites across the nation and you just have to remember the time differences.

Continue in the direction you are headed. Your employees are behind you. Just keep the dialogue open and transparent and we'll be there when you need us most. Praise the employees who are living are living the core values and promoting the branding traits. The best thing Mosaic leadership can do is keep its staff informed --they will support the direction when they understand what you want.

Oct 1, 2014Director, HR & Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback. We continue to listen to our employees and leverage the feedback to make ongoing improvements so we can continue to be recognized as a best company to work for.

A Joy to Work for a Company That Values and Listens its Employees

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Renton, WA

Pros

The culture of this company is supporting to its employees. There are plenty of training opportunities but you have to be motivated and seek the training on the portal and can do it at your own pace. The leadership listens to its staff and we're encouraged to think outside the box. This is not a company for people who stand around and wait for something--this is a company of people who initiate, have passion and a penchant for leadership. You also have to have the desire to really be of service to your clients.
    Mosaic continually wins best company to work for awards, so you know they've got a good formula working for them.

Cons

It's always a challenge when there is travel, but for me, I've enjoyed every aspect of my time at the company.

Continue to support the company's branding traits and culture. Because we are scattered around the company, keep the communications open and the information flowing.

good company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Ramon, CA

I worked at The Mosaic Company (Washington) as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

competent people and project management

Cons

nothing negative to report here

Dings and Dents in the 'Best Places to Work' Statuettes

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Mosaic Company (Washington)

Pros

* Strong client base

* Decent benefits, especially health care

* Prompt payment of travel and other expenses

* Excellent opportunity to work with a variety of clients whether on site or remotely

* Many highly intelligent, capable, competent, and personable colleagues

* Awesome commitment to community service and corporate contributions. Mosaic will even subsidize the travel and living expenses of selected employees who spend a week in Ghana on behalf of DIVOG (international relief and infrastructure nonprofit)—with a few simple tasks at home in return.

Cons

* The unwritten rule about understatedness at most in identifying one's self as a regular full-time employee (RFTE), particularly at one client site.

* A resourcing process shrouded mostly in secrecy.

* Little to no career pathing, combined with only three levels of consultant (junior; mid-level, simply called "consultant," and senior).

* Inconsistent standards in work product. It is often high, but has often been hit or miss.

Keep up the items listed in the "Pros" section.

The first two "cons" have an underlying theme: diminished transparency despite many, many proclamations to the contrary at company meetings. To walk the talk with greater regularity:

* Warn incoming RFTEs about any client-site situations where downplaying employee status is urged. Briefly explain why. Do this even if you have to take individual consultants or a small group of them aside in person or by email. This may very well ruin the happy face presented at new hire orientation. However, disclosing in this case is far superior to perpetuating the unspoken rule of RFTEs having to bear most or all responsibility for assuaging the hurt feelings of a few rejected for regular full-time employment with Mosaic or the client.

* Share more with **each** individual consultant rolling off or on the bench about the company's prospective assignments and the actually available, billable assignments. Let consultants have more say about opportunities they might want to accept. (Sure, those may get put on hold or evaporate altogether. They may not even be the right choice/fit for a particular resource. But most consultants know, or should know, that a certain level of uncertainty goes with the territory of being employed by a consulting firm. They should also be able to identify whether or not a gig is good for them.)

To address other items:

* Put a formal mentoring program in place. Assign senior consultants who have been with Mosaic more than a year to mentor new consultants (at any level) to the company.

* Consider offering the titles of "Executive Consultant" or "Principal Consultant" (with the appropriate pay to go with them) to honor those senior consultants who are administrative supervisors, who have a longstanding record of excellence in client and internal Mosaic work, or any combination thereof. This also creates a unmistakable career path for consultants. Along with this, clearly communicate what it takes for consultants of any level to move into other practice areas (e.g., learning and development to OCM or project management).

* Use the new practice areas, whose leadership is noted in the profiles of a few current Mosaic RFTEs on LinkedIn, to introduce and uphold actual, consistent instructional design and technical writing standards throughout all client deliverables. Those requirements go far, far beyond adhering to the Information Mapping format! The company's getting too big for this goes-without-saying expectation to devolve into a mere cry in the dark from those consultants who model top-tier work.

Instructional Design Consultant

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at The Mosaic Company (Washington) as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good people with solid foundation of support.

Cons

Client, PG&E, was constantly changing budgets which led to several false project starts and a few canceled projects.

Stay on top of your clients realisitc needs

Contracting agency within the energy and utility industry.

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Good work environment - qualified coworkers, upbeat and energetic atmosphere, personable management, caring HR, good benefits. May allow some work from home, depending upon location. Reasonable pay rate.

Cons

Mostly contract positions; appears to be rapid turnover without feedback to employees (as far as can be seen).

Might help some of the entry-level employees to set specific goals for productivity and how to handle it if they are not making progress on a project.

Overall, Very Satisfied!

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Very organized, responsive and respectful of consultant lifestyle. On work/travel projects it's handled very well and with reasonable expectation. Experience working directly with external clients. Excellent internal communications and support while on projects. Innovative group, thinks outside the box to solve client needs. Benefit package available for consultants.

Cons

Client expectations sometimes challenging but the Mosaic team backs you up and provides assistance with these challenges.

Looking forward to another great year!

The Mosaic Company (Washington) Photos