The Museum of Science and Industry

Updated July 27, 2014
Updated July 27, 2014
4.0

David Mosena

Lovers of science unite, what an extremely satisfying work experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Mission-focused work
    Creative, dynamic, passionate workforce
    Sheer impact in terms of clientele and visitors
    Wonderful perks!!
    Opportunity to network with other like-minded museum professionals

Cons

Little room for advancement (in general) -- may explain turnover rates
    Dependent on time of the year - summers are very busy, but other times of the year can get really slow
    I spoke with management team member who did not really have a well-defined vision as to where the Museum is going forward - sure, it's doing great, but can it start matching competition from around the country and the world?

Challenging, fast-paced work enviroment

Former Employee - Science Minor/Achiever  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Science Minor/Achiever in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry for more than a year

Pros

discounts on lunch, great coworkers

Cons

none that I can think of

My experience at the The Museum of Science and Industry is life changing.

Current Employee - Science Achiever  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Science Achiever in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Museum of Science and Industry full-time for more than a year

Pros

the best thing about working at The Museum of Science and Industry is that you can work on the floor with other student like yourself.By working here i had made accomplishments and become more confident, developed my communications skills, and taken the knowledge I have learned and applied it. If I would like to be given another opportunity to be part of a team and work alongside students like yourself. then the The Museum of Science and Industry is the place to be.

Cons

There was no that much cons but on thing i didn't like was it very far away.

To the management it should be an all year round program instead of the summer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and Flexible

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The flexible work schedule. Department Directors have discrection to add-value to encourage/empower staff. I know some directors allow summer Fridays, they have regular team outings. Since we are open all year long, there's often lots of comp time. Great work for parents. Departments led by people of color tend to be the most diverse.

Cons

Since it's under city auspices, there can be a feeling of politics. A lot of folks in some departments are on there because of longevity, not because of industry knowledge - I see you IT Department. Some departments only hire their friends and then say they are looking for people to match their office culture. As a result the department lacks serious diversity - Marketing and GE management, I see you, too. Maternity leave is terrible.

For Marketing to diversify. You want foot traffic? You can't focus your advertising and community efforts sole in the NW Suburbs and on stations like B96, KISSFM and The Mix - DIVERSIFY!!!

It could be so great!

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry

Pros

Fun environment, great place to network with other artists, beautiful campus, decent pay for entry level work, excellent people watching, casual attire

Cons

They'll work you full time or nearly full time hours for years and never compensate you with appropriate benefits. The measly healthcare benefits they offer "part timers" don't kick in for a year, and they're prohibitively expensive. Management can be rigid, petty, and childish...they make up their mind about you early on and will bar you from advancement in many directions if you're deemed "negative." On a few occasions, management openly refused to sign off on bid forms for promotions due to personal vendetta. Management seems to be in a popularity contest, throwing their own employees under punishment trains to look like they're taking initiative. Lots of climbing, lots of getting trampled on by the climbers.

Lighten up! It's not high school. You shouldn't feel threatened by the strengths of your own employees, and managers should be rewarded when their employees are promoted, rather than feeling that their own jobs are in danger.

Inspiring the curiosity and quest for scientific knowledge

Former Employee - Volunteer/Presenter  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Volunteer/Presenter in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, productive and engaging sense throughout the museum and premises, welcoming atmosphere, good discounts throughout the state with membership

Cons

Paying positions are limited except during summer and a scant few other times of year, and the positions are competitive; they are low on volunteers at the moment as well, which limits their ability to care for the museum and educate guests

Offer more paid positions, update and maintain exhibits, lower costs on special exhibits / experiences / IMAX, and offer a better discount to members / volunteers / staff for these

Guest Admissions Representatives

Former Employee - Guest Admissions Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Guest Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry part-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues are nice to work with for the most part, great supervisors, flexible schedules

Cons

Pay is low, not easy to move up the ladder if you're overqualified

Stimulate the minds of all of your staff - not just those that are in high-level positions

A fine place to work, if you know what you want out of it

I have been working at The Museum of Science and Industry part-time

Pros

It's very satisfying working at a place with a strong mission and reputation. You get to meet people from all over the world. Know what you want out of the experience of working there - if you have a plan or career path in mind, they can help you get there.

Cons

Compensation, especially at entry-level, isn't great - but is competitive with other retail- or customer-service-oriented jobs. Office politics play a role in upward mobility, but no more than many other places.

Be more transparent with ground-level employees, or they can feel left in the dark. Find ways to include a diversity of opinions within the structure - creating a strong culture shouldn't rule out other perspectives.

Guest Experiences Intern

Former Employee - Summer Guest Experiences Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Summer Guest Experiences Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

very dynamic internship, presented in 5-6 different exhibits

Cons

None, I really enjoyed the diverse areas of STEM that the museum programs around.

Great learning experience .

Former Employee - Intern  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, hands-on intersnhip, great staff

Cons

Lack of career opportunities for interns

Worked for The Museum of Science and Industry? Contribute to the Community!