The Nature Conservancy

Updated September 2, 2014
3.9

The Nature Conservancy President and CEO Mark R. Tercek
Mark R. Tercek

Pros
  • The people care; the work-life balance is good; it's a good organization with a sterllng reputation (in 9 reviews)

• Great company, great benefits, honest work that is for the greater good of people and nature (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-profit salary (not good), hard to advance unless someone leaves the company (in 9 reviews)

• Although the company engourages it the employees need more work life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Work with nice people for a great cause.

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great staff, amazing cause and changes made, training is good, and very experienced staff. I have enjoyed working with everyone I've encountered over the past 10 years in all areas of the organization not just the one I work in. Everyone who works at TNC is dedicated and passionate about what they do.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move up within the organization. Recent changes have made it a bit more of an unstable working environment.

field technician

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy part-time

Pros

Flexibility, good environment among peers and commitment with the restoration of the nature.

Cons

depends of the weather to work

Great organization!

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy

Pros

Wonderful mission.
    Great people.
    Excellent benefits.

Cons

None come to mind at present time.

Keep up the great work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good working environment

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy

Pros

The Local office has great managers.

Cons

The location is isolated and far from towns.

The atmosphere here at The Nature Conservancy is great!

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time

Pros

- Really laid back management
     - Flexible work arrangements
     - Noble cause
    - Open minded to change

Cons

-A lot of the co workers are spread out and its hard to have a team environment
    -Non profit = low pay
    -Some workers have a sense of complacency

None

Great place to work with passionate people.

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy

Pros

Value based industry. Work-life balance is great.

Cons

Very competitive to remain full time.

High turnover;

Former Employee - Donor Relations Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Donor Relations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fundraisers have the opportunity to get "out the door" often to build relationships with donors
    Salaries high relative to smaller non-profits
    High level of agency and ownership

Cons

Competition between chapters for philanthropy
    High turnover at the leadership level
    Administrative staff (philanthropy, marketing, etc.) are disconnected from the mission and often experience tension with conservation staff
    Philanthropic priorities unclear

Management must proactively decide if they want philanthropy professionals with experience in conservation/science or experience in fundraising, as the combination is rare.

Great job but some serious structural problems

Current Employee - Scientist
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My work is a lot of fun - sometimes I can't believe they pay me to do it.
    A lot of good dedicated people to work with.
    In my case, flexible schedule

Cons

As others have said, avenues for professional development/advancement depend entirely on your manager. Science is the most fun job, but has the least potential for advancement. Ph.D.s are valued and compensated greater than those with greater experience. One of the biggest negatives for employees is that, as you get more years with TNC, you are more likely to get laid off. As the economy cycles, so does TNC, so periodic big layoffs are endemic. In my chapter (state), layoffs are entirely arbitrary. The first to go are those with greater seniority because of their higher salary - I have seen many great workers, with more than 15 years, get laid off - the de facto result is that TNC discriminates against older workers, TNC's mission has changed drastically in the past few years. Where we once were about saving "the last of the best and the best of the rest", we are now about protecting those areas that resonate most with people, rather than those areas with the greatest conservation value.

There should be some kind of oversight of managers to see that they are considering the professional development of those they supervise. Have some people on the boards of trustees who are not rich white millionaires. More clarity is needed in the new paradigm, "whole systems", approach to conservation -- make it clear (or not) that we still protect small places in great need of conservation, where a "whole systems" might be a few thousand or even a few hundred acres. Recognize that TNC is discriminating against older workers, however unintentionally.

Valuable opportunities in some field programs; but World Office is an unpleasant place to be.

Current Employee - Program Director  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Relatively good salaries and benefits for the nonprofit sector. Good cause and generally efficiently run organization.

Cons

There is great disparity between upper management and "worker bee" salaries. There is a pattern of lay-offs every few years. Despite noble talk about diversity, upper management doesn't really walk the talk. White, Ivy-league males dominate upper management, who are often not held to organizational policies about hiring, posting positions and such--and HR ignores it.

Walk the talk.

The organization as a whole is very positive.

Current Employee - Conservation Coordinator
    Current Employee - Conservation Coordinator

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company, great benefits, honest work that is for the greater good of people and nature.

Cons

Individual chapters or programs can vary in their treatment of employees. Expect to be doing a lot of grunt work and menial tasks if you are hired for anything except a high level position. Best to get hired in as a director right from the start, otherwise, opportunities for advancement are only possible if you are willing to relocate.

Don't let chapter management take advantage of people who are capable and have a lot of promise (and not just the younger generation - recent grads and LEAF interns are sometimes treated better than the staff).
    Pay better as well -- I have a Master's degree and work in an administrative position only making $38K per year. My education and experience are so valuable and no one at my local chapter seems to recognize that and reward me for a job well done.

Worked for The Nature Conservancy? Contribute to the Community!