The Neat Company

Add Photos

Ron Kaiser

On the upswing from a rough 1-2 years. Energized about the future

Philadelphia, PA

ProsWork environment is great and there are a lot of truly talented people here. Trying to transition from a mainly hardware company to a software company has been challenging, but the management and leaders of the company are now executing appropriate plans for success. Mistakes from the future are being corrected like an employee review process and raises. I think those who have been here longer than a year or two have seen great improvements within the past 6 months and that the future is looking bright again. Current CFO has gone through extensive measures to correct financial mishaps and I feel good about his role here. Free food is always a plus as well. HR is definitely improving morale

ConsBecause 2013 wasn't a great year, it is taking time for employees to trust that the right decisions are being made. Communication has improved but needs to continue to be a priority. CEO is still interim, so there will be changes in senior management - could be great or could be unsettling for employees. Full transition from hardware to software based sales will take time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the path you are on and strive to clearly and honestly communicate the goals of the company. You must value every employee and listen to them.

June 2 White Wash

Can't Say (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsPaying my salary whilst I look elsewhere.

ConsCompany needs to get real. June 2 posting reads like the temp CEO's self assessment, which sets a low bar. We actually got some decent talent over the past year/year and half but they pretty much headed for the door once they realized they had been way oversold on the place. People who took over had been looking for a job for a long time. Last CEO and his buddy heading recruiting flew in from the south each (most) weeks-never a good sign.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with yourselves and those you try to influence through this glassdoor. Get an investor with money.

If you are professional.....RUN and fast

(Former Employee)

ProsIf you are looking for a company with no growth opportunities this could be the place for you!

Free food, casual work environment, no personal or professional growth.

ConsManagement team is very reactionary in their decision making and miss the big picture. The HR department (temporary) has has no decision making ability and will discuss issues with others on the management team for a response and answer regardless if its right or wrong or even legal. It's not even worth your time. As a professional with 10 years of experience in my field I had never been treated with such disrespect and seen such shotty management styles. If you're looking for growth opportunities and a place to really succeed as an individual and professional, definitely consider somewhere else.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment, a good place to work and grow

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe company offers a great environment to work. The people are awesome, many brilliant minds. There is always someone ready to share knowledge and this leads to a very open atmosphere while working. Salary is OK. Neat is looking always to be part of Philly tech scene.

ConsLast year communication was awful, it got a lot better this year. Sometimes the company takes a little longer to make a decision and it leads to employers dissatisfaction. Sometimes the company seems to be divided in two companies - literally. In one building the engineering team follows a lot of quality standards and in the other it fall short.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight now the moment is much better than last year. Execs are more engaged with the individuals, with some changes at tools and processes inside the company, communication got better better. I hope that this energy keep flowing inside the company. We could be more "one team" instead of various teams with different approaches regarding quality standards.

All recent exec replacements 'upgrades'. Co turned the corner on healing past problems.

Director (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThis company finally turned the corner in the past couple months, after a year or more of fixing accumulated problems.

- New CEO did a heart transplant on the broken employee review process, putting in an employee review and merit increase process. Not sure if everyone got what they wanted on the first time of the new process (I'm sure some are happy, some not happy), but the process is there, couldn't have said that until his arrival.
    - New CMO is analytical and marketing the company the way a modern web era company should. More organic content, less TV advertisement.
    - All seats filled at the exec table recently, were "upgrades". New execs know that they came into a company that needed some fixing, and progress is visible.
    - Company is getting involved in the Philly tech community in a bigger way, sponsoring events, doing business with local tech firms, being a good corporate citizen in the local tech scene.

ConsManagement problems in the past couple years mean that many people don't know when to start trusting that the company is serious about fixing problems + moving forward. Hard to convince folks hired 4+ years ago that company has finally turned the corner. More obvious to people that came in past 2 years and therefore saw change come more quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild trust with employees. Need a higher volume of casual conversations between execs and individual contributors -- small group or 1:1 coffees, lunches, etc. Especially with top performers that are non-managers. (the managers already get enough exposure to the execs)

100% honest review with no slant

Professional (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsCenter city local with a nice view of the surrounding area.

I am not trying to sound sarcastic by only mentioning the center city location....I was at the Neat company for roughly 1 year. I left in late 2013. During my time there, the company was very hostile (I survived 2 rounds of layoffs), unorganized, unprofessional, and quickly on the road to being out of business. I am surprised they are still around frankly, and check in weekly to see if they are still afloat.

The company did some great things in 2010-2011 from what I understand. Growth was tremendous. Unfortunately however, you had a CEO who was looking to retire, and as a result, the company failed to keep the momentum. They piled on debt because the PE firm that owns them is greedy and incompetent. This is where things started to get bad . Well, that CEO was fired and replaced with a temporary CEO from the board. Smart guy, with a lot of energy and knows a few things about money.. Maybe he can do something for the company, or maybe its too late due to the major financial issues. (time will tell)

Reasons you might want to work at this company..
    - You want a taste of a center city tech company
    - you are not looking for anything long term
    - you are desperate
    - you have an interest in consumer electronics
    - you just don't care and want a paycheck

ConsAs you can tell from my comments above, the company is really at the end of an inflection point. The key here is the END of the inflection point. At the beginning of the inflection, you have the ability to make your direction. At the end, your direction has largely been decided. My guess is that the company will limp along and continue the slow process of attrition. The only way to save this company would be through equity and dilution. They need help financially. That said, I do think the prior will likely be the outcome based on ownership's prior track record. If you get an interview, think critically. (this review is from someone with a solid track record of working with quality companies and does not have any disdain for Neat)

Advice to Senior ManagementBest of luck, and I hope you are able to come out of this.

After some growing pains, Neat seems to be on the road to recovery

Pros1. The people - friendly and helpful
    2. Culture - had some ups and downs but seems everyone is striving to work together to make this company successful
    3. Leadership - with Ron Kaiser as interim CEO many improvement have been put in place to align people with goals, full transparency and career pathing.
    4. Implementing structure to retain employees with regular performance review and surveys.
    5. Seems like the execs are Listening
    6. Innovation - so many smart minds - impressive

Cons1. Pay scale may not be competitive with market but more aligned to start up companies
    2. Infrastructure has not improved with rapid company growth
    3. Product improvements are not coming fast enough to hand the customer complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work leading and laying down a structured company.

Company focused only on potential IPO

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

Prosnice CC location; free lunch Fridays,

ConsEvery decision the company made was about boosting a potential IPO price, not growing the company. The executives (only 1 or 2 of which are still there 6 months later) were out of touch. My direct supervisor worked hard at deliberately making my work life as miserable as possible. Her plan was to make people quit so she could get her friends hired (3 of which she did). My colleague who also reported to this person is very talented and gave notice one day without other job prospects because of the way she was treated by this person. An absolutely miserable place to work. I had to keep a file of every communication to cover myself with the lies told to HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on an IPO (which most likely will not happen anytime soon) and focus on building a strong company. Grow the business rather than inflating a misleading bottom line!

Waste of carrier time!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsCentral philly location, benefits, salary..

ConsPlease take all negative reviews seriously. If you are serious about carrier, professional, technical growth.. DO NOT JOIN THIS COMPANY!!!.. This company is ran by some bullies...I worked here for a year and I will tell you, it was absolute rubbish.... No communication between teams.... Managers have become managers because there is no other person to become manager, they don't even know what they are managing and how to manage employees... Absolute unprofessionalism amongst managers and how they treat their employees.. I never did a work what I am supposed to do what they offered me in position.. I did all other crap, non-technical (sometimes) work.. There is no challenging work so you won't have technical growth. Some of the managers will teach you "how not to be a manager".. I still regret the decision that I had joined neat.. but I feel lucky myself that I m no longer part of it.. Business wise company was doing well, but since June 2013, they are not rising. They are striving very hard to remain-in business. During my tenure I have seen many c-level person's leaving, many talented managers and employees leaving..so be aware!.. Company lacks employee policy and managers treat employee however they personally want..

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to grow the business, you need to seriously consider your employees and their opinions.. Bring a bottom-up feedback mechanism where-in employee review managers anonymously.... Company has really talented people, but if they are not being treated well, you see lot of employees leaving soon.. Just don't assume that concentrating on business, marketing side only will boost your business. Be Proactive!

A Great Place to Work AGAIN!

Senior Position (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe Neat Company definitely went through change in 2013. However, the new management is top notch, full of energy and has revitalized the fun culture of success. Neat has great opportunities ahead.

Consthe transition from 2013 is about complete so the values are on the swing up.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has done a great job shifting the strategy and focusing on success.

Worked for The Neat Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Neat Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Neat Company CEO Ron Kaiser . All 34 reviews posted anonymously by The Neat Company employees.