The Neat Company Reviews

2.5
Ron Kaiser

1. I never lament having to go to work

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for this company for over two years and I can't imagine a better fit. I can honestly say it's fun to work here. The benefits are very competitive, I really like the people I work for and work with, the environment is professional but not oppressive in the slightest. I feel very strongly that this is a company that cares about its people. The interim CEO is very competent but also transparent and inspiring. The new CMO (only been here a few months, huge improvement over the CMO you may see complaints about in older reviews) is forward thinking and creative. My one complaint used to be a lack of upward mobility for employees in certain departments, but that has begun to change.

Cons

The company is still finding its legs and adjusting to its size and the size of its customer base. We have some issues from poorly executed projects and false starts in the past, but they're being worked through in a reasonable manner.

Advice to Management

Continue to look internally to people who know the company and the product and find a way to use them, their skills, and their ideas productively.

Worst place to work for...keep out

Former Employee - R&D in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - R&D in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Neat Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to diff technologies, good learning for the hardworking

Cons

1% talent , 99% gas. Poor management

CEO(jeff dickerson), CIO(phil lesie), HR incompetent.

Advice to Management

please quit asap

Pretty awful

I worked at The Neat Company

Pros

There are some lovely, intelligent people that work here.

Cons

Not many of the lovely, intelligent people are in decision making positions. The people that are in decision making position are often somewhat petty and unprofessional, and make decisions based on their insecurities. Whether it's a fear of losing their job - which many seem to have - or they're not getting enough attention, policy and process seems to be guided by each individual "managers" insecurities. Overall moral was very low, and if you are in with the bosses, you're allowed a lot of room to be angry and hostile to those you work with. It felt like a sorority no one would ever want to join. If you have another option, take it.

same problems, different day

Former Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Neat Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free food, good office location

Cons

too many too list
    sexism-this is VERY much an old boys club
    no potential for growth
    no real direction in the company-too little, too late on the cloud based product
    years and years of mismanagement and favoritism-too late to be erased
    lies, lies, and more lies

June 2 White Wash

Current Employee - Can't Say in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Can't Say in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time

Pros

Paying my salary whilst I look elsewhere.

Cons

Company needs to get real. June 2 posting reads like the temp CEO's self assessment, which sets a low bar. We actually got some decent talent over the past year/year and half but they pretty much headed for the door once they realized they had been way oversold on the place. People who took over had been looking for a job for a long time. Last CEO and his buddy heading recruiting flew in from the south each (most) weeks-never a good sign.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourselves and those you try to influence through this glassdoor. Get an investor with money.

7. Endless potential

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for the Neat Company, you definitely feel like you are working for a modern, authentic tech company. Their big on boosting employee morale and provide excellent training and support for furthering employee knowledge. Employee engagement has been great, because people are starting to see that this company is rapidly moving upwards. There is a ton of opportunity within the company and the success of the product speaks for itself.

Cons

It'd be nice if they got rid of the "cube-farm" type working atmosphere. The cubicles make it nearly impossible to engage with anyone not seated within 10 feet of your desk. Also, more potential to be a direct hire with the company would be nice, despite the paying being pretty adequate as is.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities to obtain a direct hire contact with the company.

8. On the upswing from a rough 1-2 years. Energized about the future

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment is great and there are a lot of truly talented people here. Trying to transition from a mainly hardware company to a software company has been challenging, but the management and leaders of the company are now executing appropriate plans for success. Mistakes from the future are being corrected like an employee review process and raises. I think those who have been here longer than a year or two have seen great improvements within the past 6 months and that the future is looking bright again. Current CFO has gone through extensive measures to correct financial mishaps and I feel good about his role here. Free food is always a plus as well. HR is definitely improving morale

Cons

Because 2013 wasn't a great year, it is taking time for employees to trust that the right decisions are being made. Communication has improved but needs to continue to be a priority. CEO is still interim, so there will be changes in senior management - could be great or could be unsettling for employees. Full transition from hardware to software based sales will take time.

Advice to Management

Continue with the path you are on and strive to clearly and honestly communicate the goals of the company. You must value every employee and listen to them.

If you are professional.....RUN and fast

I worked at The Neat Company

Pros

If you are looking for a company with no growth opportunities this could be the place for you!

Free food, casual work environment, no personal or professional growth.

Cons

Management team is very reactionary in their decision making and miss the big picture. The HR department (temporary) has has no decision making ability and will discuss issues with others on the management team for a response and answer regardless if its right or wrong or even legal. It's not even worth your time. As a professional with 10 years of experience in my field I had never been treated with such disrespect and seen such shotty management styles. If you're looking for growth opportunities and a place to really succeed as an individual and professional, definitely consider somewhere else.

Great environment, a good place to work and grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers a great environment to work. The people are awesome, many brilliant minds. There is always someone ready to share knowledge and this leads to a very open atmosphere while working. Salary is OK. Neat is looking always to be part of Philly tech scene.

Cons

Last year communication was awful, it got a lot better this year. Sometimes the company takes a little longer to make a decision and it leads to employers dissatisfaction. Sometimes the company seems to be divided in two companies - literally. In one building the engineering team follows a lot of quality standards and in the other it fall short.

Advice to Management

Right now the moment is much better than last year. Execs are more engaged with the individuals, with some changes at tools and processes inside the company, communication got better better. I hope that this energy keep flowing inside the company. We could be more "one team" instead of various teams with different approaches regarding quality standards.

11. All recent exec replacements 'upgrades'. Co turned the corner on healing past problems.

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company finally turned the corner in the past couple months, after a year or more of fixing accumulated problems.

- New CEO did a heart transplant on the broken employee review process, putting in an employee review and merit increase process. Not sure if everyone got what they wanted on the first time of the new process (I'm sure some are happy, some not happy), but the process is there, couldn't have said that until his arrival.
    - New CMO is analytical and marketing the company the way a modern web era company should. More organic content, less TV advertisement.
    - All seats filled at the exec table recently, were "upgrades". New execs know that they came into a company that needed some fixing, and progress is visible.
    - Company is getting involved in the Philly tech community in a bigger way, sponsoring events, doing business with local tech firms, being a good corporate citizen in the local tech scene.

Cons

Management problems in the past couple years mean that many people don't know when to start trusting that the company is serious about fixing problems + moving forward. Hard to convince folks hired 4+ years ago that company has finally turned the corner. More obvious to people that came in past 2 years and therefore saw change come more quickly.

Advice to Management

Build trust with employees. Need a higher volume of casual conversations between execs and individual contributors -- small group or 1:1 coffees, lunches, etc. Especially with top performers that are non-managers. (the managers already get enough exposure to the execs)

RSS Feed </> Embed