The Neat Company

Updated July 18, 2014
Updated July 18, 2014
2.6

Ron Kaiser

I never lament having to go to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked for this company for over two years and I can't imagine a better fit. I can honestly say it's fun to work here. The benefits are very competitive, I really like the people I work for and work with, the environment is professional but not oppressive in the slightest. I feel very strongly that this is a company that cares about its people. The interim CEO is very competent but also transparent and inspiring. The new CMO (only been here a few months, huge improvement over the CMO you may see complaints about in older reviews) is forward thinking and creative. My one complaint used to be a lack of upward mobility for employees in certain departments, but that has begun to change.

Cons

The company is still finding its legs and adjusting to its size and the size of its customer base. We have some issues from poorly executed projects and false starts in the past, but they're being worked through in a reasonable manner.

Continue to look internally to people who know the company and the product and find a way to use them, their skills, and their ideas productively.

June 2 White Wash

Current Employee - Can't Say  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Can't Say in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time

Pros

Paying my salary whilst I look elsewhere.

Cons

Company needs to get real. June 2 posting reads like the temp CEO's self assessment, which sets a low bar. We actually got some decent talent over the past year/year and half but they pretty much headed for the door once they realized they had been way oversold on the place. People who took over had been looking for a job for a long time. Last CEO and his buddy heading recruiting flew in from the south each (most) weeks-never a good sign.

Be honest with yourselves and those you try to influence through this glassdoor. Get an investor with money.

On the upswing from a rough 1-2 years. Energized about the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work environment is great and there are a lot of truly talented people here. Trying to transition from a mainly hardware company to a software company has been challenging, but the management and leaders of the company are now executing appropriate plans for success. Mistakes from the future are being corrected like an employee review process and raises. I think those who have been here longer than a year or two have seen great improvements within the past 6 months and that the future is looking bright again. Current CFO has gone through extensive measures to correct financial mishaps and I feel good about his role here. Free food is always a plus as well. HR is definitely improving morale

Cons

Because 2013 wasn't a great year, it is taking time for employees to trust that the right decisions are being made. Communication has improved but needs to continue to be a priority. CEO is still interim, so there will be changes in senior management - could be great or could be unsettling for employees. Full transition from hardware to software based sales will take time.

Continue with the path you are on and strive to clearly and honestly communicate the goals of the company. You must value every employee and listen to them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are professional.....RUN and fast

I worked at The Neat Company

Pros

If you are looking for a company with no growth opportunities this could be the place for you!

Free food, casual work environment, no personal or professional growth.

Cons

Management team is very reactionary in their decision making and miss the big picture. The HR department (temporary) has has no decision making ability and will discuss issues with others on the management team for a response and answer regardless if its right or wrong or even legal. It's not even worth your time. As a professional with 10 years of experience in my field I had never been treated with such disrespect and seen such shotty management styles. If you're looking for growth opportunities and a place to really succeed as an individual and professional, definitely consider somewhere else.

Great environment, a good place to work and grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company offers a great environment to work. The people are awesome, many brilliant minds. There is always someone ready to share knowledge and this leads to a very open atmosphere while working. Salary is OK. Neat is looking always to be part of Philly tech scene.

Cons

Last year communication was awful, it got a lot better this year. Sometimes the company takes a little longer to make a decision and it leads to employers dissatisfaction. Sometimes the company seems to be divided in two companies - literally. In one building the engineering team follows a lot of quality standards and in the other it fall short.

Right now the moment is much better than last year. Execs are more engaged with the individuals, with some changes at tools and processes inside the company, communication got better better. I hope that this energy keep flowing inside the company. We could be more "one team" instead of various teams with different approaches regarding quality standards.

All recent exec replacements 'upgrades'. Co turned the corner on healing past problems.

Current Employee - Director  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company finally turned the corner in the past couple months, after a year or more of fixing accumulated problems.

- New CEO did a heart transplant on the broken employee review process, putting in an employee review and merit increase process. Not sure if everyone got what they wanted on the first time of the new process (I'm sure some are happy, some not happy), but the process is there, couldn't have said that until his arrival.
    - New CMO is analytical and marketing the company the way a modern web era company should. More organic content, less TV advertisement.
    - All seats filled at the exec table recently, were "upgrades". New execs know that they came into a company that needed some fixing, and progress is visible.
    - Company is getting involved in the Philly tech community in a bigger way, sponsoring events, doing business with local tech firms, being a good corporate citizen in the local tech scene.

Cons

Management problems in the past couple years mean that many people don't know when to start trusting that the company is serious about fixing problems + moving forward. Hard to convince folks hired 4+ years ago that company has finally turned the corner. More obvious to people that came in past 2 years and therefore saw change come more quickly.

Build trust with employees. Need a higher volume of casual conversations between execs and individual contributors -- small group or 1:1 coffees, lunches, etc. Especially with top performers that are non-managers. (the managers already get enough exposure to the execs)

100% honest review with no slant

Former Employee - Professional  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Professional in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Neat Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Center city local with a nice view of the surrounding area.

I am not trying to sound sarcastic by only mentioning the center city location....I was at the Neat company for roughly 1 year. I left in late 2013. During my time there, the company was very hostile (I survived 2 rounds of layoffs), unorganized, unprofessional, and quickly on the road to being out of business. I am surprised they are still around frankly, and check in weekly to see if they are still afloat.

The company did some great things in 2010-2011 from what I understand. Growth was tremendous. Unfortunately however, you had a CEO who was looking to retire, and as a result, the company failed to keep the momentum. They piled on debt because the PE firm that owns them is greedy and incompetent. This is where things started to get bad . Well, that CEO was fired and replaced with a temporary CEO from the board. Smart guy, with a lot of energy and knows a few things about money.. Maybe he can do something for the company, or maybe its too late due to the major financial issues. (time will tell)

Reasons you might want to work at this company..
    - You want a taste of a center city tech company
    - you are not looking for anything long term
    - you are desperate
    - you have an interest in consumer electronics
    - you just don't care and want a paycheck

Cons

As you can tell from my comments above, the company is really at the end of an inflection point. The key here is the END of the inflection point. At the beginning of the inflection, you have the ability to make your direction. At the end, your direction has largely been decided. My guess is that the company will limp along and continue the slow process of attrition. The only way to save this company would be through equity and dilution. They need help financially. That said, I do think the prior will likely be the outcome based on ownership's prior track record. If you get an interview, think critically. (this review is from someone with a solid track record of working with quality companies and does not have any disdain for Neat)

Best of luck, and I hope you are able to come out of this.

Company focused only on potential IPO

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Neat Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice CC location; free lunch Fridays,

Cons

Every decision the company made was about boosting a potential IPO price, not growing the company. The executives (only 1 or 2 of which are still there 6 months later) were out of touch. My direct supervisor worked hard at deliberately making my work life as miserable as possible. Her plan was to make people quit so she could get her friends hired (3 of which she did). My colleague who also reported to this person is very talented and gave notice one day without other job prospects because of the way she was treated by this person. An absolutely miserable place to work. I had to keep a file of every communication to cover myself with the lies told to HR.

Stop focusing on an IPO (which most likely will not happen anytime soon) and focus on building a strong company. Grow the business rather than inflating a misleading bottom line!

Waste of carrier time!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Neat Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Central philly location, benefits, salary..

Cons

Please take all negative reviews seriously. If you are serious about carrier, professional, technical growth.. DO NOT JOIN THIS COMPANY!!!.. This company is ran by some bullies...I worked here for a year and I will tell you, it was absolute rubbish.... No communication between teams.... Managers have become managers because there is no other person to become manager, they don't even know what they are managing and how to manage employees... Absolute unprofessionalism amongst managers and how they treat their employees.. I never did a work what I am supposed to do what they offered me in position.. I did all other crap, non-technical (sometimes) work.. There is no challenging work so you won't have technical growth. Some of the managers will teach you "how not to be a manager".. I still regret the decision that I had joined neat.. but I feel lucky myself that I m no longer part of it.. Business wise company was doing well, but since June 2013, they are not rising. They are striving very hard to remain-in business. During my tenure I have seen many c-level person's leaving, many talented managers and employees leaving..so be aware!.. Company lacks employee policy and managers treat employee however they personally want..

If you want to grow the business, you need to seriously consider your employees and their opinions.. Bring a bottom-up feedback mechanism where-in employee review managers anonymously.... Company has really talented people, but if they are not being treated well, you see lot of employees leaving soon.. Just don't assume that concentrating on business, marketing side only will boost your business. Be Proactive!

A Great Place to Work AGAIN!

Current Employee - Senior Position  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Position in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Neat Company full-time

Pros

The Neat Company definitely went through change in 2013. However, the new management is top notch, full of energy and has revitalized the fun culture of success. Neat has great opportunities ahead.

Cons

the transition from 2013 is about complete so the values are on the swing up.

Management has done a great job shifting the strategy and focusing on success.

Worked for The Neat Company? Contribute to the Community!