The Nerdery

The Nerdery Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

The Nerdery CEO Mike Derheim

Mike Derheim

Great People, Rapid Growth, and willing to adapt to change!

Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time for less than a year

Pros-Work with extremely smart people on a daily basis
-Upper management is extremely approachable
-Free food, and beverages
-Great recognition (parties every Friday to let Dev's talk about awesome products that were launched)

Cons-Upper management sometimes announces stuff before it's ready to be announced

Advice to Senior Management-Finalize plans before you announce them to the public

Work with some of the smartest and most dedicated developers you'll ever meet

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best part of working at The Nerdery are the interactions you'll have with your co-workers. Nerds are good at what they do and learn together. You'll have lots of opportunities to work on different projects with team members with a wide range of skills allowing you to do what you do best.

ConsYou need to be a self-starter at the Nerdery. The pace is fast and you need to be able to hit the ground running. That's not a con if that describes you; if it doesn't you will probably struggle.

Great company

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome coworkers, core values, and good amount of time off. Beer, dogs, free soda, breakfast, and red bull.

ConsDecision making from upper management takes a fly by the seat of your pants approach, benefits and compensation could be better.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with room for improvement

I have been working at The Nerdery

Pros- Amazing People
- Amazingly Talented People
- Cool work environment
- Dog Friendly
- Dev-Centric organization

Cons- Becoming more and more "corporate"
- Leadership claims to be transparent, but they're actually selectively transparent

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, but don't be scared to call on experts when necessary.

The Cake Is A Lie...

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Nerdery full-time for less than a year

ProsFree food, drinks.
Pet-friendly.
The team means well, but they've outgrown their capacity to manage what they've built.

ConsIt's High School 2.0...the worst parts of startup culture all in one!

To start with, it's very political, with "who you know" determining your status and career path a whole lot more than "what you know".

While The Nerdery preaches an open environment where developers can exercise their skills freely and learn new technologies, this isn't the case - in reality they expect developers to know everything (including their own internal processes related to code styling, commits, etc) without being educated on it. Then they proceed to hammer people in their 90-day reviews for not following processes they knew nothing about.

You are at the mercy of your "mentor" (and I use that term VERY loosely) when joining the company - no matter how experienced of a developer you are, their sole feedback can make or break you. Different sets of rules and requirements also apply to you based on your social status (i.e. one person might be allowed to do something for which someone else would get written up - this happened to more than one person, all the time).

In addition, they offer just one week of PTO for new employees.

Projects often have vague requirements, QA does not often understand what they should be testing (developers create the use cases, and developers write the tests...)

Friends and family members of executives receive positions and promotions for which they're unqualified, and they're granted much, much more leeway than the average employee.

They also have an obsession with their late founder that borders on uncomfortable.

Looking to join the Nerdery? When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to basics. Treat your employees like people.

Lots of smart people, growth, and opportunity to learn.

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople genuinely care about their work, lots of smart co-workers, good opportunity to grow, pay & bennies have risen to a competitive place.

ConsThe future of growth is a bit uncertain, but I see that as exciting. We are experiencing success, and I want to make sure that we grow in a way that doesn't hemorrhage our strong culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job getting better qualified and the right people in place in the last year -- please continue to do so in departments that have not been overhauled to support our current size and model like Finance and Marketing. Good people in those departments, not the right leadership though. Great job on Sales, Development, NX, UX (work in progress, but the right people are in place). Also, please transfer resourcing responsibility to direct management and away from the Resourcing who works in a silo.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture. Always working to improve. A work/life balance is definitely encouraged. Management is always open to new ideas.

ConsRequirement to always bill at least 38 hours. Can get stuck in a cycle of the same work by the resourcing team.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working to make this the best place for Nerds.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Learning experience, not a career

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Nerdery full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will learn a lot, even if you have a lot of experience. You'll work on many different teams, for many different managers, and in many different roles. You'll effectively earn many years of experience for every year you stay there.

ConsYou will get burned out. You will be underpaid. You will be told that money is fine a month before they lay off many people. You will never advance in any meaningful way, though you will get meaningless title upgrades.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually be open with employees. You claim to be, but surprise layoffs that had been in planning for months prove that is false. Be open to change. When employees have ideas for where the company should go, you should listen instead of dismissing it out of hand. You do not have to constantly grow, that leads directly to layoffs. Pick a size, stay that size, and be the best company of that size you can be.

Good place to begin a career in software development.

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people that are willing to share experiences. Collaborative environment. Great way to learn new skills.

ConsInability to move quickly on initiatives because of politics. Too much management and oversight that is not really needed. Conflicting messaging from management to production staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the middle management layer it's not needed.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time for more than a year

Pros- The People. Everyone here is a pleasure to work with. The "code challenge" during the interview process ensures everyone who works here knows their stuff. People are always willing to help each other and are always pushing themselves to learn more and do better. They are also people I can call friends outside of work.

- Opportunities. The projects you get assigned are sometimes a hit or a miss, but for the most part are always different and challenging. Resourcing has been open to assigning me to projects outside my primary discipline to allow me to learn and grow in other areas.

Cons- Benefits. They could be a lot more competitive. I hate to see talented people leave. This is recognized by management and currently being worked on.

- Support. The website states, "We believe in letting people succeed or fail by letting them try." This is great. The trust that The Nerdery puts in their employees, especially new ones, is refreshing. But when people fail, this sometimes isn't recognized soon enough and the support isn't given for the project to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep your doors open. I know the company is big now, but try to improve the speed of initiatives and keep things agile so people know you're actually listening.

Worked for The Nerdery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nerdery reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Nerdery CEO Mike Derheim. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by The Nerdery employees.