The Nerdery Reviews

72 reviews filtered by
3.4
The Nerdery CEO Mike Derheim
Mike Derheim

Pros
  • free soda and food, bring your dog to work, choose your own hours (in 7 reviews)

• A work/life balance is definitely encouraged (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Behind the facade of "being the best place for nerds to work" I saw many sad, stressed-out people (in 5 reviews)

• No real leadership opportunities for women (boys club) (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Optimistic about the future

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I first started at The Nerdery, I too read the reviews about nepotism, boys club and poor management. Would it be a lie to say that I did notice those things when I first started? Yes. However, I can attest to the fact that this company takes feedback from their employees better than any company I've ever been a part of. There are now many women in leadership roles, and management is starting to address performance issues and get better at being actual leaders.

The culture here is something special, and you won't find it anywhere else. People are so willing to help, even if they aren't in your department. It's incredibly collaborative, and it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Cons

There could be a bit more training opportunities.

Stop the cheerleading, be honest and transparent. We all trust you, we want to know what the plans are, or at least what the framework is.

2. "Dream Job"? ...ALMOST.

I worked at The Nerdery

Pros

This company has awesome culture and very talented and fun people working there! The perks are great and there's a good sense of community. It's exactly what it sounds like: a company full of nerds (and trust me, that's a good thing).

I list more cons below than pros, but that's just because it's far easier to codify them. My time at this company was almost entirely positive, and I recommend it.

Cons

It is fairly widely known and openly talked about that there is a "coolness tax" for working there; AKA a lower salary than other companies in exchange for all the free food, events, etc.
    Sometimes there's not enough work to go around and teams end up trying to do something productive...but there's only so many days you can sit and read articles before going stir-crazy.
    Lastly, it sometimes felt like there wasn't the most open communication from management, or maybe just not enough communication amongst themselves. The UPPER management was very good and transparency and dispersing information to the employees, but communication from management within teams and communication between departments seemed to lack.

More healthy food in place of some of the sugared cereals, please :)
    (Seriously, though - try to make sure there's enough work for the teams and that your departments are communicating amongst themselves. That's about it)

3. UpBeat Place, Reward Experience and hard work, Stressfull and a bit of drama

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Salary
    Great Experience
    Learn a TON
    Many support systems in place
    Big Perks (4 weeks PTO, Dogs allowed at work, Food and drinks (Including Beer) Every day.
    Fun atmosphere
    A lot of change constantly
    Strong Company

Cons

Young Group = Alot of drama and politics
    Very stressful Roll - High Expectations

Make clearer paths to growth
    Bring back Gym Discounts!
    Keep a more realistic expectation of work life

A great company to work for but I'm losing enthusiasm lately.

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management does a decent job at being transparent. The core values are apparent and you can tell that everyone believes in them. Recruiting does a pretty good job of finding great culture fits and there are clear opportunities for growth as an engineer. The biggest perk is being able to be surrounded by other smart people with little to no ego.

Cons

The Nerdery has become too growth-oriented which has lead to a crackdown on how billable the average employee is expected to be. If the company is not willing to turn down work and be content with a specific size but instead hire to meet fluctuating demand you will always have a looming risk of a large segment of employees sitting on the bench and their coworkers feeling the pressure to be exceptionally billable to pick up the slack. Being the "best place for nerds to work" doesn't mean you have to take on every project and hire every talented person.

It would be nice to see less of a focus on growth and more of a focus on current employees' happiness. Invest more time into helping developers learn and progress instead of running the risk of burning out segments of the company when other disciplines are hurting.

6. Fast-paced, fast-growing,

I have been working at The Nerdery

Pros

Great culture and fun atmosphere, however it's tough to keep a company feeling tight knit when it's trying to grow so fast. The large goals senior management has set for the next few years will definitely impact the culture and I'm not sure how that will pan out. I'm hoping to see the company succeed and do well.

Cons

Facilities aren't the greatest--working in Bloomington/suburbia isn't the most glamorous thing either. If you aren't a self-starter and don't like a sometimes chaotic work environment then it's not the place for you.

Stay focused. Be honest and transparent about the health of the company.

Fun place to work but has growing pains

I have been working at The Nerdery

Pros

Great co-workers and company culture

Cons

Lack of vision and overall company direction at times. Continual rapid growth can grind away creativity and create an org structure that become more corporate.

8. Passionate, hard-working Nerds

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time

Pros

Amazing and talented people
    VPs and President care a lot about the staff
    Open communication within the organization
    Culture
    Co-workers support and look out for you
    Learning something new on a daily basis

Cons

Everyone is stretched pretty thin
    Sometimes wonder what someone actually does, pointless positions
    A lot 'hurry up and wait' when it comes to change

There needs to be some changes in mid-level management (managers and directors). There has been some good progress lately, but there are some people that either need to leave or figure out how to work better with others.

Good people with lots of nepotism at the manager level.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beer, candy, cereal: lots of perk few benefits.

Cons

Unrealistic managers, many koolaid drinkers who has little or no real world realistic experience.

More cons than pros, but I would still make the choice to work there.

I worked at The Nerdery full-time

Pros

• Highly intelligent co-workers
    • Office culture (more focused on devs)
    • Epic holiday party
    • Looks great on a resume
    • Very good learning experience
    • Soft perks (food, dogs, soda, clubs, etc.)

Cons

• Office culture and expectations are not so hot for roles other than developers. Devs get all the perks and protection while other positions are expected to work to the bone.
    • Churn and burn atmosphere. No value on work-life balance.
    • Lack of recognition and compensation to the right people. Teacher's-pet attitude towards brown-nosers.
    • Nepotistic tendencies.
    • Severe micromanagement with lip-service to autonomy.
    • Serious issues with the sales process.
    • All time must be billable. Little leeway or support for non-billable admin time, which has the pitfall of employees tending to allocate time to clients even if not truly applicable.

• Re-evaluate or re-align with your core values. You have strayed very far from the path particularly with regards to "Integrity in all circumstances" and "Win by empowering people."
    • Hire and support people who will challenge you and not just yes-men.
    • Hire more women into leadership.
    • There was a big push a couple of years ago to reduce the # of non-billable roles. The number of those roles is once again increasing. Watch out for going down the same path that lead to the layoffs in 2013.

Even with all of that, I am grateful for my time at The Nerdery. I learned an immense amount and met some great people. It could be a top-notch company and I hope very much that it is guided back on track.

11. Fun experience and a great opportunity to learn from other really talented people.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's lots to learn, and if you have the free time there's a ton of fun clubs and side activities that are sponsored but not run by the company. It's a little bit like college except substituting class work for real work.

Cons

Experiences can vary widely based on the projects you get on. To continue my earlier analogy, it's like how any school has good and bad classes, cool and temperamental clients, except you have less control over the projects you get on than classes you pick.

I think the increased focus on competitive compensation is good, as is the move to small teams. Leadership team should take care not to lose touch with the ground floor. It gets harder as the company grows, but it becomes ever more important.