The New England Center for Children

Updated May 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

L Vincent Strully Jr

great environment and great opportunity to help autistic children in need

Prosrewarding to see the progress the students make

Consit's physically and mentally exhausting

There can only be one real goal, the advancement of effective treatment for all students with autism.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe commitment of direct care staff is inspiring to see. With ABA as a cornerstone of NECC's work, it is well grounded in both science and tempered with compassion. A second goal is research which can be a slippery slope. With over 30 years of data, only now is a clearer picture of effective methods of treatment.

Although research and training is more efficient in a specialized school environment, students and their families should strive (when possible) to advocate for a (Public School) inclusion program. In some cases this is available with NECC's partner program.

ConsOnly a small percentage of students with autism get into this school. The one weakness in the current system seems to be competition and not collaboration with similar schools for autism.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recognize the hard work and sacrifices made by direct care staff. They are what make this school successful.

its gooood

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Southborough, MA

Prostuition reimbursement, great training with people who really know their stuff as far as ABA is concerned, full benefits, pretty good!

Consits so much work and sometimes too many expectations. there just isn't enough time or brain juice to follow through on everything, its like working two jobs. your work never ends when your shift does.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you want to make a difference

Southborough, MA

ProsGreat vacation time, amazing benefits such as on-site graduate programs, ability to explore other departments

ConsSometimes its long hours, you definitely have to earn your keep

Good company if you want a free Masters, but lots of hard long hours.

Level II Teacher (Former Employee)
    Southborough, MA

ProsThe staff are very nice and the students are truly amazing to work with. If you work here for a few months you become very close with the kids and you will learn so much from them, even though you're the teacher.

ConsIrregular hours. Start out working overnight if you don't have experience with children with autism. Work almost every holiday

Advice to Senior ManagementThey sort of hid the fact that you have to join a masters program to remain employed there, which unfortunately closes off advancement opportunities and drives away very good teachers.

Misleading place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, decent starting pay, looks good on a resume if you plan to stay in this field.

ConsThe senior staff tend to be very conceited and are far from open to newcomers. I noticed that they have their cliques and think they're the greatest thing ever if they use the phrase "positive reinforcement" on a daily basis. SMH. If you plan to start at NECC, chances are you'll see this at some point. Their orientation program is a joke and they openly admit that you leave new employee orientation not knowing jack about the kids. Furthermore, they higher ups that have any influence have difficulty seeing outside their bubbles and, although they claim the opposite, are far from open to new ideas. You'll fill out a little survey after some of your trainings that will surely end up in the pile of the last ten-years' surveys waiting to be compiled. That or scrap paper. The hours suck and they'll take advantage of you, especially when you start out (and you'll probably start out as a floater, meaning no set schedule and your hours often change week to week. I worked 12 days straight without a day off once). If you have no experience in the field, I think this would be a great place to start. I, however, came from an organization that valued innovation and novelty when dealing with challenging situations with students--here you're just expected to follow student guidelines whether they work or not. OH! And don't get me started about how liberally they use time out. I can't.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to creativity, and certainly to the employees that work with students everyday.

I wouldn't do it again.

ProsGood experience, decent starting pay for the field, great graduate education opportunities

ConsUnsteady hours as you'll probably start off with a floater schedule on your unit. High-strung staff and supervisors that care more about their reputation than the kids. They don't respect innovation at all and expect you to follow student guidelines precisely whether they're effective or not

CIO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe New England Center for Children does great work with Children with Autism.
    Science based company doing research worldwide.
    Helping teachers in other schools teach kids with autism.
    SaaS company- Selling a curriculum application.

ConsMany employees, espisally senior managment has been at NECC for 20 + years. This has created an environment not open to new ideas. New comers alway feel like they are on the outside looking in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to other ideas.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I cared about

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Southborough, MA

ProsFour weeks paid vacation directly upon hire. The health insurance is affordable and the facility itself, along with the residences, are accommodating for children with such severe behavioral issues. Staff morale, in general, appears to be positive and most employees genuinely seem to care about the job and the students.

ConsThe hours are beyond demanding and this leads to a very high burn-out/turnover rate within the company. The students are highly aggressive, so it is more likely than not that you may suffer injuries or bodily harm. The pay is decent compared to that of comparable non-profit company jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the feedback from students who actually work with the students.

Great kids, great opportunities, great benefits.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsWorking here is challenging yet immensely rewarding. Yes, the students are behaviorally and educationally challenging (that's why they're here....) but they are also some of the best people I have ever met. There are also the on-site Master's programs (which was a big draw for both myself and a lot of my friends here), post-master's certification programs, and Ph.D programs, and other great benefits such as ample vacation time and good health benefits. Additionally, there is the opportunity to move up fairly quickly through the ranks into a supervisory position. The expertise of those working around you on a day to day basis is great, and there are lots (more coming every year) of international opportunities for those who are willing to travel abroad for a year or two.

ConsYou just have to get used to the fact that for the first year or two, you may be working a schedule that is different from your friends who may be accountants or public school teachers. You will probably work a weekend day, and some holidays, and perhaps overnights (depending on your position) but as you move up in seniority you will get to pick better schedules. And really, working those "undesirable days" isn't that bad.

Worked for The New England Center for Children? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The New England Center for Children reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The New England Center for Children CEO L Vincent Strully Jr. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by The New England Center for Children employees.