The New England Institute of Art

Be The First To
Add Photos

The New England Institute of Art President David Warren

David Warren

A good place to start in higher ed

Assistant Director of Admission (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting Students
    Good Location
    Enthusiastic Faculty
    Good Facilities

ConsStockholders are more important than students.
    Will accept anyone with a pulse and ok credit.
    Run by people in another state.
    Work/Life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the price for tuition and you'll get more students. Let the people in Brookline run the show as the folks in Pittsburgh have ruined things on campus.

good learning experience

Prosgood people locally, common sense of purpose

Consupper management off site, too many decisions made by people who have never been to the building

Advice to Senior Managementtry talking up instead of down

Great Faculty and Programs

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWorked with great people. The faculty is engaged and talented.

ConsLacked career advancement and senior management often lost sight of the big picture. Education was the key.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify talent better and make sure to reward performance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ass. Director of Admissions

ADA (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork with very talented students at a very interesting school and areas of study. Very rewarding when bonds of made with students.

ConsCalling kids that have said NO 10 times and working a recycled list of those students is like working for a credit card company.

Advice to Senior Managementno comment..

micromanaged, overworked admissions staff encouraged to do whatever it takes to bring in new students.

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) Brookline, MA

Proseasy way to get exposure in a university setting for someone looking to get into this field -- they're always hiring

Conscold calling, endless metrics (how many calls, interviews, applications per week, day, hour), culture of negative reinforcement, high stress, long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI once held a temporary office that shared a wall with the then-president of the college, whom I overheard in a conversation with an HR rep who was brought in to help with employee morale via anonymous conversations. the HR rep disclosed details and names; several of those complaining about the conditions were soon fired for "performance" reasons. Intimidation doesn't build employee trust, loyalty, or strong work ethic.

Run... please run away from this abortion of a school!!!

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) Brookline, MA

Prosgood pay, benefits, nice surroundings in Brookline

ConsHigh Pressure to Produce Student Starts. Current management talks behind everyone's back! No incentive to do well except to keep management off your back. Unrealistic quotas face Assistant Directors of Admissions since they are not given adequate quality leads to reach their goals. The system sets up employees to fail. No work / life balance ! STAY AWAY!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk is cheap. Paying staff well goes only so far. You cannot keep quality employees if you ignore work/life balanace.

Horrible company!

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

ProsThere are good faculty that care about the students. There is also a great work/ life balance (as long as you don't get stressed out about your job security.)

ConsCorrupt, misleading, manipulative middle management and corporate. Always at risk of losing you job if you're not meeting their completely unrealistic goals. They give you no training and set you up to fail. They don't care about employees or students.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress reason for extremely high turn over rate. Take time to listen to students and employees without retaliation.

Micromanagement to the extreme-"No cell phone" Rule

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee)

ProsThey pay well for for-profit higher education.

ConsI have never been micromanaged like I am here. They took somebody's cell phone away who was using it at their desk. If they see you on the internet, they will most likely ask you to turn off your computer and continue making dials. What used to be 50 dials/day has turned into a minimum of 100. Very poor management with zero incentive to bust your butt besides a gold star on the wall (literally). Highest turnover of anywhere I've ever seen. Calling lists of students who, flat out, do not want to come to school here or hear from you. None of the ADA's are happy with their job, and all of whom are currently looking for other jobs-which means low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treat employees this way they will continue to leave and you will continue to re-train. Over, and over again.

Great Faculty and Staff, otherwise ...

(Former Employee) Brookline, MA

ProsMost of the people who work there are compassionate, caring, and work tirelessly to help students succeed in and out of the classroom. The talent pool of the professors is amazing to pass along to students as well.

ConsIt feels like a school, it runs like a school, but it's managed by a big corporation that puts business demands on an educational establishment.

There has been a culture of negativity being contagious and employees often joke when the next layoffs are going to happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you's go a long way, people just want to be recognized for a job well done.

Constant threats

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Brookline, MA

ProsHelped some students change their life through education.

ConsManagement constantly threatened to fire us if we didn't make our goals- 50 calls a day (this has doubled since I left), 12 appointment sets a week, 8 interviews a week, 4 applications taken each week, and two personally developed referrals a week. With the economy being so tough and the cost of the for profit school so high ($120K+ for a Bachelor of Science), these numbers are extremely tough... Especially with the sheer number of colleges in Boston. Management also creates conflict through the cutthroat competition amongst reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe turnover rate should be a clue that unhappy employees aren't going to stay and make numbers for you and job threats are counterproductive.

Worked for The New England Institute of Art? Contribute to the Community!