The New York Botanical Garden

Gregory Long

Great content, low pay

Current Employee - Botanist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Botanist in New York, NY

I have been working at The New York Botanical Garden part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's all about the plants. People are friendly and relaxed; pretty easy commute wherever you are coming from. Plenty of opportunities to have a lunchtime picnic among blooming magnolia trees, rose garden, whatever. There is sort of an understanding that being a scientist isn't going to be like working in a hedge fund, so everyone more or less deals. After all, we chose it, no?

Cons

The pay, the lack of advancement. Not too many calls within the world for fern or mushroom experts - so perhaps we should feel lucky to have a job. Still, people leave for industry, 'sell out' because it's hard to live on some salaries. Since NYBG is also dependent on funding, they had to make huge employment cuts back in '08-09 when the economy sank.

Feels like I'm trapped here...

I have been working at The New York Botanical Garden full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Weekends off, leave at 5pm

Cons

No room for growth if you're a person of color.

Very clique-ish & dysfunctional dead-ender

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at The New York Botanical Garden full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful setting, lots of amenities including library access, diverse staff.

Cons

A lot of back-stabbing and snobbery. Low-pay, little opportunity for advancement. Established scientists keep the plum jobs for themselves, cronies and even family members (who are often no-show do-nothings). There is a lackadaisical atmosphere that keeps any really important science from being done there since every day is workaday, status quo, do just enough to have something to say on your yearly self-evaluation.

Provide more opportunities for advancement, expansion of skill sets, and promote greater creativity and cutting-edge research.

Positive experience for anyone interested in plants/exhibitions

Former Employee - Horticulture Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Horticulture Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The New York Botanical Garden as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned at NYBG for 3 months and the best part about it was that they offer many educational opportunities for interns like lectures and tours. The staff there were mostly very friendly.

Cons

It's a relatively slow-paced work environment, which might be a good thing for people who enjoy a more relaxed place to work.

Poor management and leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The New York Botanical Garden

Pros

Beautiful gardens and good learning experience if you can handle the headaches.

Cons

For a well known cultural institution it is surprising how petty, immature and unprofessional upper management is. After years of privilege and well known benefactors the original vision of the garden seems lost. Some departments and employees are wonderful but unfortunately they get lost in the circus and lack of postitive leadership.

Listen more to staff, volunteers and guests. Make more thoughtful management decisions.

Administration

I have been working at The New York Botanical Garden full-time

Pros

Great place to work, friendly people, parking, lots of vacation and sick time, located in bronx, and helps the community

Cons

Low salary, no flex hours option available, no cafe for employees we are allowed to use the visitor cafe but it is expensive, no good healthy food options in the neighborhood

Don't commute here from Manhattan

Former Employee - Development
    Former Employee - Development

I worked at The New York Botanical Garden full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gorgeous setting, and the satisfaction of working for a true cultural gem of New York City; lots of history, and the organization invests in change

Cons

Terrible commute from the city and they don't offer Transitchek. It's really more a job for folks who live in Westchester County and commute by car. Overall benefits and compensation not great.

Very bureacrtic, but friendly staff

Former Employee - Tram Driver in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Tram Driver in Bronx, NY

I worked at The New York Botanical Garden part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff is tight-knit. The supervisors can act tough but they're looking out for your best interests. There is also room for limited advancement, at least in the visitor services department where I worked (I cannot speak to this issue for the other departments)

Cons

Very bureaucratic, which leads to weird hour dispersal. For example, I was hired with many other people as a seasonal employee in the summer while all the other employees had their hours cut. This was good for me but still seemed quite unfair. Also, there is a certain level of laziness when it comes to customer service, and this starts at the top with the management and trickles down to all of the employees.

Be more aware of customer service, allocate hours more fairly.

Happy go lucky.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The New York Botanical Garden part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff throughout all of the departments are friendly and helpful. They are passionate about the their job and the organization. Management is encourages staff to voice their opinions and suggestions to improve the department/organization.

Cons

Communication throughout management is sometimes inefficient and can cause events to be more hectic than need be. May be to a lack of funding, but technology is out of date and can sometimes be difficult to grasp because it is so old.

Honest communication is key.

Just ok

I worked at The New York Botanical Garden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Organization has a worthwhile mission...... but

Cons

Senior management can be quite dysfunctional at times.

Encourage collaboration amongst senior staff instead of isolating them into silos

The New York Botanical Garden Photos