The New York Observer

Add Photos

Jared Kushner

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsRelaxed, hands on, extremely friendly staff, creative leeway

ConsUnorganized and no communication between editorial and design and photo dept

Intern at New York Observer for less than a year.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of freedom to pitch and write articles of your own interest.

ConsFew members of the staff take on the role as mentors for interns.

Good starting career

Market Research (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendly coworkers, opportunities to establish your network, a lot to learn, a good workplace for recent graduates

ConsBig internal changes, slow work pace, not much room to grow

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep senior management stable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou gain very hands-on experience, reporting on a wide variety of subjects and attending diverse events. Colleagues are generally very nice. Relaxed, productive atmosphere.

ConsThe office can be a stressful environment at times, but that is to be expected of any busy newsroom, particularly in New York.

interned there, good for clips not for support

Pros-great starting place for new journos
    -folks there have lots of contacts and media opportunities
    -cool area (midtown west)
    -lots of their writers end up poached by biggers (salon, verge, buzzfeed, nymag, etc)

Cons-not nurturing at all
    -high turnover and office politics
    -lots of poaching, no sense of loyalty

Got free reign to pursue projects, staff not particularly encouraging, takes a lot of self-initiative

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou get access to some of the best events in New York and the name carries if you have to interview or get a hold of someone. The office is in a great part of the city and the hours are pretty flexible for an intern. You can pitch as much as you like to different editors, so there's a lot of opportunities available to write.

ConsThe interns sit at the side of the room and the staff usually doesn't interact unless they need someone to run an errand or transcribe something. I interned for 5 months and I didn't know all of the names of people in the newsroom and I doubt most of them knew who I was. They didn't seem very interested in being mentors to the interns or going out of their way to help or give advice.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, I really can only speak to the interns, but maybe to take more notice of the free labor available? We all want to be there, and to do something besides assignments that no one else wanted. I felt that I really didn't have the chance to cultivate relationships with many of the staff there, so maybe partner interns up with specific people? I don't really know.

Well-intentioned but misses the mark

Marketing Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat content, cache/prestige factor, attracts good talent. Trying to evolve digitally to stay current.

ConsAttracts but cannot retain good talent because they don't remunerate their staff accordingly. Old-school thinking around digital. People leading the charge on digital who are not versed on digital. Sales and editorial staff are print focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the funds to pay staff. Retire staff who are not digitally savvy. Find sales staff who understand the digital process as well as print. Focus on creating integrated campaigns to promote the goals of the newspaper, web site and other digital properties and drive revenue.

Good place to get your foot in New York

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPolitician and people in positions respect the paper and respect you for being a member of its team. They will return your calls and you'll be able to use the opportunity to advance your career outside of the organization.

ConsThe company is heavily cash strapped and cannot adequately compensate for the expense of being a reporter.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery hard to say.

Good learning experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiverse workforce. Laid back environment.

ConsUnpaid internship. Slightly disorganized and chaotic.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for The New York Observer? Contribute to the Community!