The Newark Group Reviews

Frank Papa

1. Very good

Current Employee - Corporate Human Resources Manager in Cranford, NJ
    Current Employee - Corporate Human Resources Manager in Cranford, NJ

I have been working at The Newark Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Teh work enverinment is very Challenging but yet very rewarding

Cons

Teh work environment is very fast paced, but yet if you can stick it out it is very rewarding

Advice to Management

Keep up teh good work

2. Newark Paperboard Group and Caraustar

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranford, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranford, NJ

I worked at The Newark Group

Pros

Fit for the Future - During the financial crisis, 2 of the 3 largest US producers of uncoated recycled paperboard, Caraustar Industries and Newark Group, went bankrupt with the reorganized companies bought by private equity firms. In recent days, their owners agreed to merge the 2 with the healthier Caraustar acquiring Newark. Assuming the deal closes without required mill divestitures, the new Caraustar will be the largest North American producer of recycled paperboard, with a 21% capacity share.

Cons

Right now in a transition phase The Newark group has been taken over by Caraustar Industries and Newark has been losing contracts and revenue and as a result employees are being laid off. Their future is uncertain and hopefully they will be absorbed by Caraustar. but there are no guarantees. Hopefully Caraustars merger with the Newark Group will be a good thing. Wishing them both the very best in the future.

Advice to Management

Advice to Caraustar. Treat the managers like congress. Fire all incumbents and start from scratch. Had they done their jobs correctly. Newark would not have gone into bankruptcy and Caraustar would not have been in a position to buy them out and we the workers, would not have lost our jobs.

3. You reap what you sow

I worked at The Newark Group

Pros

pay and benefits to include work balance was good.

Cons

Upper Management is very shady. They went bankrupt and now sold to their competitor.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow.

5. Production Lead

Current Employee - Quality in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Quality in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at The Newark Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Education in Lean Six Sigma, excellent growth training.

Cons

There is no con's.

6. Toxic Environment

I worked at The Newark Group

Pros

Great if looks my for a challenging environment which helps you grow professionally and personally, dealing with the what NOT to do or how treat employees

Cons

Too many to list here

7. Sexist, demeaning, no opportunity for growth

Former Employee - General Worker in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - General Worker in Denver, CO

I worked at The Newark Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very few pros. The Denver location has a heavy season in the summer and a slow season in the winter. They will lay off people from the bottom of the clock first, so if you are a new employee hired in the summer rush, expect to have your winter free to yourself. Then, when they call you back in the summer, you have lost all your seniority AND now have to compete against a new bunch of Temps that were brought in for the rush. In the years I worked on the floor, I saw one employee get laid off for winter 3 years in a row. It is a good job if you are a machine operator but good luck getting to that position when you lose your seniority every winter.

Cons

The manager (They say they have a plant manager and a general manager but really, the general manager is just for show. The plant manager calls the shots) will randomly decide who he will be upset at on any given day. Then, he will hound the employee as they try to defend themselves regardless of who is around to hear it. Every thing you have ever done wrong, even if just in his eyes, will be brought up and you will have your nose rubbed in it. This same manager will scream at the front office girls IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS. For making a typo on an order or one time I think it was because she forgot to put highlighter on one of the orders. It wasn't the team who made the bad products fault, it was the girl who didn't highlight the product that was clearly written on the order. The upper management then laid off one of the girls in the office, when there was only 2 of them and gave the other all the work. I would see that girl work 60-70 hours a week on salary trying to get both jobs done, and she told me they never increased her pay or gave her a better title. I was in the office once when the same girl asked the plant manager, why there were no females in the entire group who were Plant Managers, General Managers or VPs. He told this girl that "We tried having women in those roles but girls always want to go off and get pregnant, so it wont work out if TNG isn't number one." Shortly after I heard this conversation, they laid her off too and sent all of her work to another group in another state. Atleast they cant be screamed at in front of customers if they are that far away. They have some floor workers who have been there for 10-15-20 years around there and they will get subjected to the same treatment. One mistake and they are paraded around the plant getting yelled at, but only a few. A winder operator will never get that treatment. The blame will always be shifted to the person who put in the order, they guy who made the cuts or the person who loaded the truck. They should have caught the operator's mistake, not the operator. I was once told that the operators were too valuable to upset and have them leave, so they don't do that to them but everyone else is fair game.

8. Interesting company

I worked at The Newark Group

Pros

New CEO is bringing new ideas and concepts into the business and implementing them quickly. Safety is paramount. Vertically integrated that allows control from the primary raw material to the product that goes to the final customer.

Cons

While brown grades aren't being hit as hard as white grades, the need for paper products is contracting. There has already been some restructuring activities and there may be the need for some more.

Advice to Management

Change is required; partly due to the changing market. Do so while you still have control and not once it's forced or too late.

9. Was a better place to wotk in the early 2000s.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, MA

I worked at The Newark Group

Pros

Family atmosphere and great employee base

Cons

No real room to grow, and some jobs don't transfer very well to the real world.

Advice to Management

Take stock in what you have before it's gone!

RSS Feed </> Embed