The News & Observer

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
2.6

Orage Quarles III

Great paper going through hard times.

Current Employee - Reporter  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Reporter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The News & Observer full-time for less than a year

Pros

Writing. More writing. Answering the phone.

Cons

Low pay. Answering the phone.

Switch everything to digital or free candy.

Advertising Senior Account Executive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The News & Observer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great new product. High name recognition. Used to be a great place to work. I thought I would be able to retire here.

Cons

Company did not handle the economic downturn very well. Cut a lot of sales support staffand that has cut sales productivity and quality of product. Reactive instead of proactive to the changing media environment.

Management has a ready, shoot, aim attitude to new digital products. They do not fully vet new digital products before rolling out to sales staff. Then the new digital products do not have the support staff to make the new digital work properly.

overworked

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - District Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The News & Observer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great co-workers and supervisor at one DC

Cons

No set policies, constant turnover of carriers, some co-workers very lazy

Stop holding the presses so late that carriers can't make the delivery deadline

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hired then Laid Off

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The News & Observer part-time

Pros

The staff reporters and editors are generally creative and smart people which makes the working environment enjoyable. In addition, the job can be very rewarding when you publish a piece makes a difference in someone's life.

Cons

The newspaper industry in general is going through a tough period financially. Because of this there are lay offs on a regular basis which is stressful to everyone involved, including those NOT laid off. At The N&O people have to take on more responsibility, are not getting raises, have to take furloughs (which are unpaid), and are in constant threat of being laid off. It causes low morale and deep frustration. They are also hiring mostly part-time people so that they don't have to offer benefits.

Think outside the box in terms of acquiring new revenue sources.

very good

Former Employee - Zone Supervisor  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Zone Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The News & Observer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Management Team with extensive knowledge. I learned a lot from Management..

Cons

Company not as stable or solid some uncertainty

Make sure that employees feel that they are safe in their positions.

Need to re-vamp middle management

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at The News & Observer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Dedicated sales staff who try desperately to meet unrealistic goals set by management who has not come out from behind their desks in 20 years. Staff sells products such as reputation management to help clean up online reviews of our customers, yet the N&O does not even buy the product themselves in order to clean up the bad reviews left on them. Makes it a hard product to sell.... Along with the dying newspaper and an online staff of 2 who simply cannot keep up with the sales that the reps make. Most online sales end up running wrong or not running at all.

Cons

Managers rule by humiliation tactics. They make the entire group suffer for the lack of effort of a few slackers. Kind of like being in middle school, where if one group of kids act up, the entire class has to suffer... They try to get rid of the people who speak the the truth and prefer to keep those who are quiet and keep their heads down, even if the quiet people do not meet their numbers. They are looking to replace the seasoned reps with young faces fresh out of school who do not know any better...

Retire! Hire a new group of young fresh managers who enjoy their job and appreciate the sales staff that they manage!

Love My Co Workers ....Overall things need to change

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The News & Observer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co workers, family oriented environment

Cons

Management needs to be completely revamped. No room for opportunity to advance in careers. There is no fair treatment between assistants and reps.

Treat your employees like you want them there.

Started great...ended terribly.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The News & Observer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've never worked alongside a more dedicated, caring, knowledgeable group of people.

Cons

The company is disintegrating from the top down. There is no care for the employees. Very stressful work environment. Employees are paid less and less, but are required to do more and more.

Please realize how valuable the "little" people are in your company. There are so many extremely talented, very hard-working people in your organization that are leaving as soon as an opportunity arises. Management seems to rule by fear and threats instead of good leadership. This is such a huge change from 10 years ago. If the company were still run as it was a decade ago, I would have gladly retired with McClatchy. Now, I'm sad to hear of how badly things continue to be within the company, but am happy to be on the outside.

Generally positive until the economic downturn

Former Employee - Assistant Sports Editor  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Sports Editor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The News & Observer

Pros

If you are interested in producing good journalism, The N&O is pretty solid for a newspaper of its size. Most of the people who work there are smart and committed to the profession.

If you prove you can handle your job, they generally don't meddle.

Once they decide to cut an employee loose, the severance package is fair. They even let employees who have been axed work two more weeks.

Cons

Job security. Like most newspapers, The N&O is struggling to remain viable but the decisions to lay off or gut most of its personnel have seriously damaged the product. I accepted a buyout, but I would have been let go six months later anyway.

While management has made drastic cuts in the newsroom, all of the top managers remain employed. Some have been reduced to part-time status, only to regain their full-time employment to replace folks who have been laid off. That affects morale in a profound way. The very people who are charged with figuring out how to keep the newspaper going are failing, yet their jobs are apparently secure.

Start charging for online content. Newspapers cannot continue giving away their product free of charge.

so-so

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The News & Observer

Pros

good people,good benefits, slow advancement

Cons

upper management,hours, weather, declining industry

need to listen to customers

Worked for The News & Observer? Contribute to the Community!