The Nielsen Company

3.4
1,195 Reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 81 reviews)

• Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 100 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

97 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, global adventure, learned a ton.

Former Employee - Practice Area Lead  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Practice Area Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

High quality people, global opportunities, process improvement, invests in talent development. Real depth in analytics and measurement science. Great place to learn and connect.

Cons

Occasional stifling bureaucracy and red tape, continual layoffs and CAPEX freezes, even for growth businesses. Strategy shifts often put people at risk.

Stay the course overall, but find ways to invest in people that goes beyond the top 20 percent to appreciate the rest of the top half of employees

Solid place to work

Current Employee - Associate Client Manager  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Client Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company, many opportunities, relatively safe

Cons

Meritocracy is sort of BS, Overly political for such a large organization

Great career where your performance drives opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've had 5 different jobs in the 10 years I've worked here and each one has been more interesting than the last. All were driven by my performance, potential and interest.

I also love the fact that Nielsen still has a lot of room for growth and development... the work I do will leave a legacy for many years to come.

I've had many opportunities to leave since I've been here but each time I keep coming back to the fact that Nielsen is a very interesting company, does great work with our clients and continues to innovate. It's a story I love to tell.

Cons

We don't have all the resources/systems you would expect to see at a big company and we're often dollar constrained from making the investments we should.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Intern at Measurement Science

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gain extensive experience in data management and market analytics, the overall working environment is comfortable, working hour is flexible, you can meet a lot of really smart and nice people willing to help you and share with you their ideas and knowledge. Overall atmosphere encourage to you to constantly learn new things to improve yourself.

Cons

The location is kind of in the suburbs, not very convenient.

"Mediocre employer for 80% of associates"

Former Employee - Account Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time

Pros

Working for Nielsen gives great experience across the CPG Industry. With regard to 'soft benefits' - they do support a work-from-home environment and they do much to promote a healthy lifestyle. I do believe their base pay & benefits (i.e., vacation time, vision insurance, etc...) to be above average.

Cons

The company offers great career and promotional opportunities (and merit increases) for the top 10%. The balance really don't get much. The balance get moved around to fill holes with pay raises of 2-3% every one to two years. They have become too bottom-line oriented and thus provide less through bonuses every year, send more work offshore, and continue to replace tenured employees with lower priced, more junior level hires. If you're not "a star" and just a solid performer - your opportunities will be limited.

Inspiring co-workers, challenging work, and a "bring your whole self to work" environment make Nielsen a great company!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My favorite part about working at Nielsen is the people. The smart, friendly people make coming to work something I look forward to every day. As far as the company culture, Nielsen can best be described as open and flexible. As long as you keep performing at a very high level, Nielsen will never count hours or days in the office - it's more about the quality of work you do than when you do it. Additionally, Nielsen's culture of meritocracy recognizes those that do perform at a very high level and invests in their personal and professional growth and development.

Cons

Like many companies, Nielsen creates a very fast-paced work environment which can sometimes be a challenge given limited time and resources.

Very enjoyable

Current Employee - Client Manager  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Motivating, well-managed, easy to move roles

Cons

Difficult to manage clients and work life balance

Positive experience in complex business environment

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nielsen offers a high energy environment that is focused on innovation. Another pro is that Nielsen has some very smart people working at the company and it's a very collegial culture.

Cons

Nielsen has a highly complex organizational structure, so speed of projects is often slowed by too many management layers and decisions by committee.

Continue to focus in simplifying the organizational structure and allow employees more freedom to experiment with creative ideas.

lot's of opportunity

Current Employee - GBS Emerging Leaders Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - GBS Emerging Leaders Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

great company culture (very flexible, open, and modern), young employees, ability to work remotely, flexible working hours, nice offices, great name to have on a resume, and many travel opportunities.

Cons

depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments.

it's difficult for me to find other cons....

Dynamic Company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

exposure to different teams, employee resources groups, vast number of locations across the US and internationally, fun work environments, amazing people to work with, ability to work from home

Cons

long hours, making cuts across the board, executive level management restructuring, not enough training resources available

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!