The Nielsen Company

3.4
1,265 Reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 89 reviews)

• Flexible work hours and the ability to work from home when necessary (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 110 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

98 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, global adventure, learned a ton.

Former Employee - Practice Area Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Practice Area Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

High quality people, global opportunities, process improvement, invests in talent development. Real depth in analytics and measurement science. Great place to learn and connect.

Cons

Occasional stifling bureaucracy and red tape, continual layoffs and CAPEX freezes, even for growth businesses. Strategy shifts often put people at risk.

Stay the course overall, but find ways to invest in people that goes beyond the top 20 percent to appreciate the rest of the top half of employees

It was an interesting experience

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nielsen is a great relationship company. They know how to build and maintain relationships with their largest global clients. Great international recruiting - I think it is a good place for new college grads to learn A LOT about marketing & marketing research.

Cons

Very large, very bureaucratic organization. Good if you enjoy and are good at navigating that sort of thing, not good if you are more focused on external business results than internal results.

Figure out how to unleash more of your people's creativity and drive. I am a huge fan of Mitch Barns and I think he will improve the company.

Terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can meet good, talented but pretty much always dissatisfied and about to depart folk.

Cons

Company has bad reputation as disorganized, poorly managed with seriously outdated technology and notoriously under-paid employees. Turnover in some departments is about 60-70%, which is unheard in the industry. Even folks in unemployment office close to the area and a lot of them or relatives were working for Nielsen at one point (one of the larger companies in Tampa bay) , directly or indirectly tried to talk me out of it . I have read really bad reviews in Glassdoor, Ideed and local sites and yet was lured by overinflated, overrated "Nielsen Ratings Magic" Which are not only inaccurate but the middle management doing unethical and in times unlawful things to "crunch the numbers" just to please upper management. No wander some extremely popular shows like Breaking Bad, Girls, Mad Men, ’s 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation showed poor rating "according to Nielsen" . Seriously? Anyway, please do google “Nielsen Ratings" and you will see overwhelming reality about the company from universally trusted sources. I only wish I did that before in-depth.

I am sure it is useless. The company is huge, with established brand and gained momentum so it will rot slowly but surely. With likes of Twitter, Google, Facebook and especially with numerous talented and flexible startups The Nilsen Company has no future.

Solid place to work

Current Employee - Associate Client Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Client Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, many opportunities, relatively safe

Cons

Meritocracy is sort of BS, Overly political for such a large organization

"Mediocre employer for 80% of associates"

Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time

Pros

Working for Nielsen gives great experience across the CPG Industry. With regard to 'soft benefits' - they do support a work-from-home environment and they do much to promote a healthy lifestyle. I do believe their base pay & benefits (i.e., vacation time, vision insurance, etc...) to be above average.

Cons

The company offers great career and promotional opportunities (and merit increases) for the top 10%. The balance really don't get much. The balance get moved around to fill holes with pay raises of 2-3% every one to two years. They have become too bottom-line oriented and thus provide less through bonuses every year, send more work offshore, and continue to replace tenured employees with lower priced, more junior level hires. If you're not "a star" and just a solid performer - your opportunities will be limited.

Great career where your performance drives opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've had 5 different jobs in the 10 years I've worked here and each one has been more interesting than the last. All were driven by my performance, potential and interest.

I also love the fact that Nielsen still has a lot of room for growth and development... the work I do will leave a legacy for many years to come.

I've had many opportunities to leave since I've been here but each time I keep coming back to the fact that Nielsen is a very interesting company, does great work with our clients and continues to innovate. It's a story I love to tell.

Cons

We don't have all the resources/systems you would expect to see at a big company and we're often dollar constrained from making the investments we should.

Summer Intern at Measurement Science

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gain extensive experience in data management and market analytics, the overall working environment is comfortable, working hour is flexible, you can meet a lot of really smart and nice people willing to help you and share with you their ideas and knowledge. Overall atmosphere encourage to you to constantly learn new things to improve yourself.

Cons

The location is kind of in the suburbs, not very convenient.

Inspiring co-workers, challenging work, and a "bring your whole self to work" environment make Nielsen a great company!

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite part about working at Nielsen is the people. The smart, friendly people make coming to work something I look forward to every day. As far as the company culture, Nielsen can best be described as open and flexible. As long as you keep performing at a very high level, Nielsen will never count hours or days in the office - it's more about the quality of work you do than when you do it. Additionally, Nielsen's culture of meritocracy recognizes those that do perform at a very high level and invests in their personal and professional growth and development.

Cons

Like many companies, Nielsen creates a very fast-paced work environment which can sometimes be a challenge given limited time and resources.

Very enjoyable

Current Employee - Client Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Motivating, well-managed, easy to move roles

Cons

Difficult to manage clients and work life balance

Positive experience in complex business environment

Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nielsen offers a high energy environment that is focused on innovation. Another pro is that Nielsen has some very smart people working at the company and it's a very collegial culture.

Cons

Nielsen has a highly complex organizational structure, so speed of projects is often slowed by too many management layers and decisions by committee.

Continue to focus in simplifying the organizational structure and allow employees more freedom to experiment with creative ideas.

The Nielsen Company Photos