The Nielsen Company

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

85 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best in the Industry - Great Place to Learn CPG

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is so much opportunity to learn and grow at Nielsen. Many view company as a great place to start a career, but I feel it is also a great destination company where you can have a long, fulfilling career. Top performers will be asked to rotate into new positions which helps with one's career growth and satisfaction. The flexibility to work from home is a major benefit.

ConsCould be an overwhelming environment to navigate for some. Company is currently revamping training program so perhaps the on-boarding process will be enhanced in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with current communication model - frequent updates on progress and initiatives via webinars.

Great company to work for.

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people at Nielsen are incredibly smart and the environment is very synergistic. There are a broad range of opportunities for career growth, and the company places a strong emphasis on developing their employees. Pay and benefits are above average.

ConsSome positions require significant travel, which does impact work/life balance. Also, for those who work in global roles, meetings can be very very early in the morning. While Nielsen embraces change, sometimes things change too fast and without enough thought for the impact/consequences.

Advice to Senior ManagementNielsen does a nice job developing their employees, but they could do a better job retaining top talent, especially after the time and effort they put into training people.

Great opportunity to learn, longer term prospects not as strong

Associate Client Director (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to learn, I was lucky enough to work on a big client so there was lots of attention/focus and our client was willing to try some fairly sophisticated analyses.

ConsHard to move up, especially if you are willing to work in the trenches, apparently you need to dazzle them to get a promotion. Also, pay is not great for the hours you end up working, but it is better than the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter path for promotion and what is required, improve ability to be flexible with solutions for clients.

Culture going downhill

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSmart colleagues
technology-based end-to-end value chain
interesting business

Conslearning curve is steep with poor onboarding
not a meritocracy despite propaganda to the contrary
isolating work environment since employees are dispersed - home, offshore, other offices
used to pay better - have become cheap since equity firm took over

Advice to Senior Managementshedding experienced people who know the business to reduce overhead will bite you in the long run

Good place to work

FLP (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent work/life balance and great sense of community.

ConsNo glaring issues aside from some folks having an issue with FLP in general. Some managers and co-workers viewed it as either a burden or simply unfair advatnage and you were treated as such.

Horrible position

Membership Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNielsen is a well recognized name and an industry leader.
Company car, computer, phone, and fuel card are all great perks.
Hands on experience on how TV ratings work.

ConsThere is no such thing as a work-life balance. You are forced to work 7 days a week if you have not hit your numbers.

Everyday is considered a production day, which means there is no such thing as a vacation or time off. You are always accountable for your numbers even when you go on vacation. Quotas are not even prorated when you go on vacation or go on sick leave.

There are no opportunities for advancement within the company.

People are forced out of their jobs by receiving no work, or horrible work that is impossible to resolve.

The success of this role depends on your territory and manager.

Some of the areas you have to work in are extremely dangerous and will have gangs, bedbugs, shootings, and cops will ask you to leave because its too dangerous.

Manger will play favorites and those people will be given better work and will even be given work in others territory.

Technology needs a major overhaul. The computer systems you use are ancient and need to be replaced.

The questions you ask homes are too long and most homes are upset by the time you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to improve the MR and FR role. At the moment this role has a high turn over because employees are undervalued and abused. Also, try to be ethical and allow employees to move into other roles. Offer better raises for employees that are more than 2%-4%. This role supports a core business of Nielsen and employees should be taken care of. STOP playing favorites and don't change goals on metrics before reviews so you can pay employees less and rate them lower.

Really good and had opportunity to learn new technologies

QA Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsNielsen is one of great company and all the process are different.

ConsI don't think any downsides in Nielsen

Advice to Senior ManagementIts really going well. continue the same in future

Time to move on.....

Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany has many products and there is much to learn the first couple years. Not a bad place to start and promotes working from home.

ConsToo much cost cutting and outsourcing many positions and low wages. Forced to move to smaller terminal space, that working from home was more comfortable. High turnover and horrible ranking system which disappoints many employees to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the forced ranking, your employee retention rate will be much higher.

Smart people and good working environment

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBroad portfolio of services in both the consumer side and media side
Marquee customer list
Great training ground to open future employment opportunities across many industries
Opportunity to move across Nielsen businesses

ConsLong hours
Slow upward mobility
Annual merit increases spread across 18-24 months

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep leaning into new technology and innovation. Help the world harness big data

Java Developer

Java Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at The Nielsen Company as a contractor for more than a year

ProsVery friendly environment.I was working there for 1 and half year.the experience was awesome.

ConsNothing.Everything was very good except the policy for contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease change the policy for contractors that they can not work after such period of time.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Nielsen Company CEO Mitch Barns . All 85 reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees.