The Nielsen Company

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.0 1,132 reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available(in 81 reviews)

• Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much(in 99 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments(in 67 reviews)

1,132 Employee Reviews

Six Sigma WAhhhh

Nielsen Field Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsLots of opportunity to travel.

ConsYou mess up once your done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo much focus on six sigma, does not translate in the real world.

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearning environment, good values, smart people

ConsHeavy Workload, compensation,too centralized, sometimes too slow to react to opportunities

Motivating and Inspiring. A great place to work.

Global Client Liaison (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsVery collaborative work environment where you feel the Company is genuinely interested in making you better.
    Huge opportunity to work in a wide range of teams.
    Led by Managers, not by HR
    Work/Life balance is excellent

ConsLack of structure at times makes is hard to understand clear objectives

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clearer about team objectives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

World Class Company

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI am very excited to show up to work every day, knowing that my actions impacts an ad exchange market of $85b where Media Companies and Advertisers/ AgenciesWork trade daily. Nielsen strongly believes in Meritocracy. Work life balance and work from home flexibility are great perks.

ConsCompensation at all levels needs to be reviewed. A stronger training/ onboarding program for new employees needs to be established.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're very excited by the appointment of Mitch Barns as our CEO. He grew up in this industry and understands each part of our company very well. It is exciting to see that his change plans are based on the employee/ industry voice. My advice is for leadership to review compensation/ benefits across all levels to ensure we are keeping up with the industry.

Great place for career in retail market insights and market research

ProsProfessional development, training, international know how

ConsCompensation, creativeness doesn't always work

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open discussion with employees

great people, great place to learn

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosthe company culture is high integrity, the company has good leadership development programs

Consthe organization can sometimes seem complex

Advice to Senior Managementkeep improving diversity

Great place to start a career in market research

Research Analyst (Current Employee) Wilton, CT

ProsMany opportunities for lateral movement within the company, young energetic vibe and culture ("work hard/play hard"), very open and collaborative environment, lots of exposure to data and analytics

ConsNot a "9-5" marketing position so more than 40 hours a week is expected of you, you have to be proactive about searching for opportunities outside your department

Meritocracy Rules!

Executive Director (Current Employee) Jakarta (Indonesia)

ProsIt is the name that attracted me to Nielsen and since then I have found it to be a great place to work in - passionate people, great products, right mix of structure and ambiguity, flexibility to do your own thing, good bosses etc. In short great place for those needing an adrenalin rush!

ConsNeed to break down silos and get things done. No free lunch!

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the right path - finally a research company that thinks business!!!

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHigh mobility, progressive atmosphere, lots of learning

ConsBureaucratic, frequent restructuring, nepotism

Great and Innovative Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsNielsen is a great company to work for. I was immediately drawn to the training, networking, and professional development that the company offers. They have great benefits: 401K, medical insurance, great work-life balance etc. Great leadership and I have the flexibility to work from home. Management is helpful and readily available. All-in-all I enjoy working here.

ConsI don't have any complaints.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!