The Nielsen Company

3.0 1,121 reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

1,121 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They have a great work life balance with work from home options available"
    in 79 reviews
  • "Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much"
    in 93 reviews
  • "Long hours for some (You may start work at 7pm and not leave until 5am"
    in 63 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHours, Car, Laptop, Cell Phone, Overtime

ConsHours, Late, Weekend, Market Numbers

Good overall experience

Associate Client Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAutonomy, vision for future. Best assets in the business, now the challenge is to integrated them to make the maximum impact on clients. Working hard to increase the overall talent level each year - GE mentality.

ConsDifficult to integrate assets and speak with one voice to clients. Limited training opportunities. Compensation can be less than market competitive. Career progression mapping can be unclear.

Great place to start and grow

Field Service Representative (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat perk like company car, computer, phone, and benefits

ConsIf you want to move up within the company you have to be willing to move around the nation

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic Company

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosexposure to different teams, employee resources groups, vast number of locations across the US and internationally, fun work environments, amazing people to work with, ability to work from home

Conslong hours, making cuts across the board, executive level management restructuring, not enough training resources available

Great place to learn

Data Acquisition (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat home life balance. I can work from home 3-4 days a week. I have many varied responsibilities and am treated like an adult in being allowed to handle them without constant interference.

ConsNielsen is way behind on the technology curve.

Short life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsArbitron employees received a presentation about the opportunities to grow and the team-work culture at Nielsen. Many of us never saw that (see cons)

ConsI had worked for Arbitron Inc for 15 years, Shortly after the merger with Nielsen a large part of the Arbitron workforce was notified that they would be part of a reduction-in-force. Our group was part of the RIF. I was never interviewed regarding the applications that I had developed for the company. As far as I know, the presentation by my manager to the new administration was marginalized. Everything seemed pre-ordained without regard for truly learning the intellectual content that they were buying.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you want to transition people and processes, make sure you talk to all the right people, explore all the variables and risks, and then keep them in the job until the transition is complete. Arrogance is not a virtue. Timelines mean nothing if you meet them and then have to rework everything to make it right.

They purchased Arbitron and took the technology and laid off all the staff.

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsI don't have any pro's. This company is only out to become a monopoly and buy other companies intellectual property and then layoff their entire staff..

ConsThe whole company is one big con. I had one employee ask me if I wanted to work their even though they laid me off and when I said no she said "good choice, I have been here 10 years and they are a rotten company". I understand why people stay working for companies they don't like so I didn't purse it any further. I had already been laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a heart.

On campus recruitment of Nielsen

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice recruiters easy interview questions

Consnothing really negative happened there

It was a great place to work until they brought in Mitchell Habib

Internal Auditor (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsHR tries to make the place fun and interesting.

ConsThere is no loyalty. They don't care what you know, it is all who you know. You will see mothers and sons who are in high positions that only got there because of knowing someone. Many CPA's and MBA's working on a lower level while VP's only hold BA's or less.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your VP's do not have the skills to run their departments, it is the people they employ that do all the work for them and the VP's just conveniently take other people's work and brand it as their own. There is so much new talent out there, get rid of the old and in with the new and higher educated!

Nielsen is all about getting it doe quickly and cheaply, no matter the quality.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThe benefits are not terrible, I'm guessing about par for the industry. The paid time off is accrued over time and is very good. Office culture differs depending on what department you are in. The people are great. The office and location are great.

ConsManagement pushes every project to an unreasonable deadline, causing important steps to be skipped and quality to be sacrificed. Every day is in crisis mode, there is a lot of stress. Most of the workforce is offshore and the window of communication with them is either overnight via email or in morning meetings. After 10am EST they are unable to be reached. This causes a lot of delay and miscommunication. The off/onshore ratio at the Tampa location is currently approximately 80/20

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better at estimating the size and complexity of a project before setting a deadline. I have worked on many projects and we are always in crisis mode. People can only do this for so long before they burn out. Nielsen is always sponsoring these 'fun' activities on campus, but only the people who do not really have work to do have the time to spare to attend things like that. I haven't even had time to attend require training.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Nielsen Company CEO Mitch Barns . All 1,121 reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees.