The Nielsen Company

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!

Client Director (Current Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsThe opportunity to work with smart people and continually learn new things. Throughout my tenure at Nielsen, I have had the opportunity to advance in my career by working for different business units within this very large market research company. There are opportunities to work in other parts of the company. Nielsen can also be very flexible. While the division I work for is very client focused, we often are able to work at home at times. Various people in our office have successfully worked at home regularly for years (not every day) and they have been able to get promoted while doing so.

ConsClient demands can be tough at times so it takes a certain type of person to be successful in client service.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open regarding changes that are taking place.

Beware

Associate Client Manager (Former Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsWorking at Niesen looks great on the resume especially if you are in the CPG industry. I also was paid pretty nicely.

ConsThe pay was nice but I should have known from the start that he company had issues. I relocated to New Jersey for the position from the Midwest and the whole relocation process was botched. I was on a smaller client service team. My manager had no business managing people. He had 2 people under him and 3 people had left under him in the past 18 months. That didn't seem to bother Nielsen though. Anyway, the culture of the team was very 9-5. My first week there I was questioned why I was staying past 5pm. I think they were afrain I would harder then others. After about a month on the job I approached my boss to see if he was happy with progress and to see if there were things he noticed that I should focus on. He got up and left meeting and told me to never bother him again with questions like those. It was tough to complain though because the money was pretty good and I could come in at 9 and leave on 5 on the dot. My performance review lasted all of 3 minutes. They just didn't care about employee development. After 18 months I knew it was time to move on. Shortly after my departure the client dropped Nielsen and I probably would have been left without a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNielsen needs to focus on the client. Stop outsourcing everything and alienating the client. Invest in employee development and create a culture, any culture as there is no culture currently.

A great place to learn about Consumer Products- learn from them now- cash in elswhere later.

Associate Client Manager (Current Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsNielsen is a great way to gain entry into Consumer Products and/or Retail management. Virtually any manufacturer of anything scannable at a supermarket, or any retailer of scannable food utilizes Nielsen data to analyze and understand their business and their consumers. The company has a variety of assets that each have a unique way at looking at the consumer and for the first time, the company seems to be pulling all of those assets together in a cohesive fashion, as in the past, the complexity of the available data made it all but impossible for a novice to extract the insights they need.

ConsRetaining talent. Nielsen is a huge player in its field (IRI- the main competitor- is floundering), but it simply lacks the resources necessary to truly retain top talent. Most join the company for a few years, for moderate pay and middling benefits, then "cash in" at a major retailer or Consumer Products company. There are a significant number of "lifers", who have resisted the pull of CPG or retail, and they're well compensated. They're a good company; it's just tough to compete with multi-billion dollar conglomerates.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold the course. You're headed in the right direction. Continue to develop the talent & do what you can to improve benefit costs.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company reviews and ratings in Paramus, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Nielsen Company CEO Mitch Barns . All reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees.